Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is KOA still in existence?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

@John B I remember you were involved back in the early 2000's. Is KOA still alive? I see the website is gone now. I was hoping there was a traditional custom organization still out there. I'm new to the custom scene, so bare with me.

Oh and save it. It's not the campground I'm talking about.

Thanks

Root

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

Nope. KKOA is different. They have gone the way of NSRA. They really aren't about customs anymore. If you want some perspective get on youtube and watch the 2019 KKOA Spectacular parade, where the cars entered in the show cruise a block they have roped off. I watched 40 minutes of it and only saw like 4 customs.

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

Kampgrounds of America?

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

See post #1.

5window likes this.
  7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

That parade is on Thursday night. More than likely most of the cars are locals. Me, like most working people arrive on Friday. Then more roll in on Saturday. Stick around for the awards on Sunday. The majority of the winners are customs. Are you the one who is gonna stand at the gate and tell people with 32 Fords and 57 Chevys(non-customs) you can`t be in the show ?

54delray, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

We always stay there on our US trips in the RV.

stillrunners, RICH B and Truck64 like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Still, if your name is Kustom Kemps of America, what should the focus be on? We go to Salina most years to look at the custom stuff, but I walk past about 80% of the cars. I’m not a dyed in the wool custom guy, but when you go to look at customs, it would be nice to see a few.

I was a KKOA member for years before I even had a custom car to work on.

I get not wanting to turn cars around at the gate, but someone has to draw a line instead of continually moving it to stay relevant.

WiredSpider, loudbang, John B and 2 others like this.
  10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

someone should.......

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Custom car revival in Indianapolis. It is a small show of 150-200 cars but every single one of them is a traditional custom. There are no stupid billet wheels allowed. this show reminds me of the early KKOA shows. It is a shame what has happened to the KKOA show, It was really something back in the eighties and nineties.....

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  12. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Agreed.
    Used to go to Gettysburg about 20 years ago. The majority of the cars where customs. Would like to see a "48 "and below only event. No trophies, no awards, no BS. Just like minded people getting together.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

I guess what I am after is an organization that is carrying the torch of traditional customs to the next generation.

I read a lot, trying to educate myself and we plan on making the trek to Indy this year just to look. I watch a lot of YouTube on the customs of days gone by.

My buddy Mick @straykatkustoms is doing his part, trying to keep it going. I always enjoy his events.

I’m not bashing KKOA, they have a place, but they are just about like GG or NSRA IMO.

14. Roothawg

Roothawg

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kevin does a great job promoting Traditional cars for the Custom Car Revival. He is a marketing Guru and one of the best. Sadly he will draw less than 250 real Customs. KKOA is a kool show because even though 80% are not kustoms. All of the kustom legends are there and are available to visit with you. Thursday afternoon I get the chance to visit with Gary Minor. We have a good visit and we talk about Kustoms. We don't always agree but we have a good discussion. To me that is priceless. Plus I have a lot of good HAMB friends that attend and that is what shows are all about. Its not about what shows up, it is about who shows up.

Guys that complain about KKOA events not having enough kustoms doesn't fix the problem. Most of them are not bringing their own kustoms to the show. How do you expect for it to change if they are not willing to show people how kool it is to own a kustom.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Good points Mick. I did get a kick out of hanging out with Gene Winfield and talking to him a couple of years ago. That guy has a ton of knowledge locked up in his head.

I guess I could bring mine, but it would have to be in baskets. New lowering blocks will be here Thursday. 597096E7-3B12-4F93-838A-BB6C102DFAF3.jpeg

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He is the James Brown of the kustom world. He works hard everyday and it is a Blessing to see him at the show.

54delray, Okie Pete, OG lil E and 4 others like this.
  18. noboD

noboD

Great idea, but it always becomes about the money. Everyone thinks it always has to grow so they let in stuff that doesn't belong. Look what happened to Trog.

loudbang likes this.
  19. John B

John B

@Roothawg sorry for the slow reply. I gave up the KOA life shortly after Jim Hibbs sold it in the 2000's. The last I heard it was still owned by a couple guys from Indiana but they aren't doing anything with it.

I feel your pain though, I pulled up a video on youtube that some guy shot at the last "spectacular" and gave up after a few minutes because he focused on everything but the customs. Even in his shots you didn't see many customs in the background. I get it, to make an event feasible (profitable) you need numbers. I have lots of videos from back in the day and wonder where all those customs went to.

Let me head some people off here. Yes many of those guys are gone and many have gotten too old to travel as much. That is understandable. But those old customs are still out there some where. What does it take to get them all on a fairgrounds someplace?

Custom Car Revival is all we have going for us in the way of a customs only event that I know of east of the Mississippi. I love it. Still it only covers part of the custom life. Many of the cars that helped bring customs back in the 80's wouldn't make the cut at CCR. We need an organization that gives the traditional and those 80's (neo-traditional?) customs a place as well.

54delray, OG lil E, Sum54ford and 5 others like this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

I love custom cars, and I would love to see a resurgence in them and some dedicated shows. Also I don't mean to derail this thread. But...

Stanlow69 has a point. I had this very task at a different show (hotrods and customs), and it was hell on Earth. People just show up with shit and expect to get in, they have no idea what period their car is from. I turned a guy away for his polished D spoke wheels (which were the only modification on an otherwise stock vehicle). He asks "why can't I get in?" I tell him his wheels are wrong, and he says "that other guy has Torq Thrust wheels on his car". Yeah but yours are the wrong kind. Then he walks around the show telling everyone the guy at the gate wouldn't let him in because "his wheels are too shiny".

I also moderate a buy-sell page online and I get the same kind of crap but it's easy to click a button and delete people's shit or ban them all together, no explanation necessary. Doing it in person, while a bitchy guy holds up a line of 10 idling cars is a lot tougher.

I don't know what the solution is. But if you ever do go to a show, and someone has that job, tell him how much you appreciate it, buy him a beer, whatever. I had that job for several years, got paid 0 dollars for it, got bitched at by hundreds of assholes, and only ever had one guy thank me for the job I was doing. And that guy was one of the ones who was turned away. I offered my job to a lot of the bitches, not a single one ever took me up on it.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A local guy here was a 'Lieutenant' in KOA...I had to wonder about that, just looked soooo 'Grandstanding' with the hash tags on uniform shirt sleeves, and the 'First Leuie' emblazing on the chest...
    I didn't salute him, just wondered.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  22. It's easy to bitch about what you don't like about a show. It's a lot harder to actually get involved and try and make the changes which is why so few actually do it.

54delray, verno30, UNSHINED 2 and 8 others like this.
  23. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think this may be going in a different direction than I had hoped. I am really not concerned with KKOA. I should have not brought it up.

I would rather talk about a traditional custom organization.

I think there is a true interest out there, but just capturing the masses would be difficult. I have seen a lot of really nice customs in the last 20 years, so I think the customizers are out there, it's just getting them to come out and show off their cars that is the issue.

I saw a really nice local, brown, 51 Merc called Brown Sugar that I hadn't seen around before. The car was well done, but looked to have been done for a while. I hung around waiting on him, but he was out and about and couldn't catch him around his car.

I am going to start by attending the Custom Car Revival this fall. At least that way, I can talk to other custom guys and pick their brain. I am sure @straykatkustoms and @Moriarity would appreciate the rest.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Custom car revival is in June.....

25. Where Mark? we need a roadtrip. Oh, Indy?

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The show was changed to fall last year because it was moved from June. Because of Covid. But the later was cancelled as well. I have taken my car out to Indy for the last 5 years. It is done in a traditional way but it is to new. 69. So it doesn`t get in the show. I understand this and respect the rules. He did allow me in for 2 of those years because of lower numbers in the early years. I was honored. If you are going, Friday at the host hotel, don`t miss it. The show is Saturday at Edward`s Drive In. As far as KKOA. Seeing video`s on U tube, you are getting a perspective of what the person doing the shooting likes. Not from a true cutsom fan. I would only video the customs and the other custom aspects of the show.

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'll meet ya there.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  28. I will ask Lavin what she thinks. Still trying to fit in Nashville this year as well.

54delray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  29. Sum54ford

Sum54ford
    from St. Louis

Kustoms of America, KOA, were set up at the James Dean Run in September and I stopped to talk to them, it was an older couple and they said they were taking new members so I asked if they still had their publication and the said they didn’t, I asked them if they had any events planned to which they said they didn’t. I thought of joining because of my love for the Kustom world and wanting to keep all things Kustom going but they had absolutely nothing to offer so I didn’t join. They did say they were going to meet with some guys who were supposed to be turning things around. I guess we will see.

30. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Lead Ain't Dead. Dewey in September.
    I need to see if I can get the cancelled KOA trademark and reinvent it as Kustoms Oklahoma Arkansas.