Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods vendors not stocking parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lumpy 63, Mar 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Has anyone else noticed big vendors like summit and Jegs don't have much of anything in stock? Especially cylinder heads. Edelbrock doesn't seem to have much of anything, waited almost a year to receive a dual quad intake for a 409 top end kit. You guy's been finding the same?

2. rusty valley

rusty valley

Thats the business norm now days, parts on the shelf are loosing money they figger

fauj and lumpy 63 like this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The lockdowns have buggered the supply chains & shipping. It will probably get worse before it gets better.

fauj, Tim, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@lumpy 63

Talk to your local auto body shops and repair garages and you will find they are suffering serious parts shortages, especially on relatively late model vehicles. Of course their suppliers are suffering too as they have reduced income due to the parts shortages,

New vehicle dealers, and the ‘downstream' used vehicles dealers have serious shortages of inventory as well. All related in one way or another to the Covid slowdowns/shutdowns and perhaps some erroneous projections on market needs.

I think these circumstances are spread broadly across market segments and will slowly improve.

That is merely my opinion and does nothing to help your situation. But, where a market does exist, businesses will work to supply the demand as their own livelihood depends on it.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    fauj, Nostrebor, Okie Pete and 5 others like this.

5. I don't think the lockdowns have impacted a lot of supply issues as much as "they" want us to think. The MBA model for years has been: work on other people's money (front-load the buyer's charges, stretch out the payment to vendors) and stock as little as possible (that way you can put more $$ in your investor's and your pockets). The buzz word for that is JIT (Just In Time) inventory, and business in this country grabbed onto that theory while pointing out how well it worked for Japanese auto makers. The difference is: Japanese auto makers made sure they ordered and got inventory to supply orders, while Wall Street/Vulture Capitalist-types in this country took it a step further and decided that NO inventory works, just accumulate customer orders until you get to the best discount level from your vendors, then order the castings, cutouts, whatever. Works well when it comes to paying investors and looking good on paper. For the consumer...uh, not so much.
    I normally won't buy an item that isn't 'in stock'. I figure that approach might work while I'm in the building phase and not pressed for time, but 3 years from now when I'm broken down "that's not in stock" ain't gonna get me home.
    JMHO, YMMV

6. finn

finn

It’s not just auto parts vendors. We just get two bar stools that were ordered twenty weeks ago.

Stopped at Ike’s in Phoenix last week. Of the eight items we looked at, none were in stoc. Walking past the high bay pallet racks to exit, they were all mostly empty.

Auto makers are building vehicles without control systems because they can’t get chips. Ford stopped taking orders for 2021 Transits last week. If you want a Transit, you have to reorder a 22 model year one.

Okie Pete, Hnstray, lumpy 63 and 2 others like this.
  7. Edelbrock is preparing to leave their Calif operation,and move to fly over country{America}.Im sure that has screwed up more than one order.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

With millions of people getting free money(Stimulus checks), the problem just got worse. Things that are in stock will be flying off the shelf. And online orders are skyrocketing. Thus, there goes further delays in shipping. You better get used to it.

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, I´ve seen that quite some items are on backorder at Summit´s.Same here with our automakers. I keep hearing the local BMW plant are trying hard to keep the assembly lines running as they are running out of supplies. Chips and electronic stuff seems to be an issue. Now they are considering tobing forward their summer holidays from August to May, so they can recoup some of their delay...

Hnstray and lumpy 63 like this.
  10. ..............Excellent explanation here. The current situation has just exacerbated this business philosophy, but the mindset has been going on for quite a number of years. I worked for 31 years for a major grocery retailer. As long ago as 25 years, they adopted this Just in Time inventory philosophy. They figured that if they could minimize in store (and warehouse) inventory it would free up money for capital investment and cut inventory taxes. The stores became so poorly stocked that sales began to be lost. Once the "suits" figured out what the rank and file employees knew all along, market share in a hyper competitive business had dropped tremendously.

11. Hnstray and stillrunners like this.
  12. Ziggster

Ziggster

Yes to all the above. Brought my car to dealership a few weeks back. Needed a new fuse block in the rear due to water seepage/corrosion. Was told it would be three weeks for part, but “luckily”it was only two weeks. Go to IKEA and there is almost no inventory. Price here for lumber has skyrocketed by almost 300%, and house prices across Canada have risen by 20%-30% since Covid. For sure Covid has had a huge multiplying effect on so many things.

13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I had planned on building a new shop last Spring, but the virus shut that down. Now with lumber prices so high, it is out of reach. SHIT!

14. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

Just last week I ordered a fuel line with filter and hose barb for an Edelbrock carb from Jegs. Was told it would be the middle of June before I would get it.

15. adam401

adam401

I ordered a set of Edelbrock heads last October. Still waiting.

16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

^^^^^
    The worst thing in the world is waiting on backordered parts.

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

Seems to be a problem with everything these days, big time construction materials shortages, have a DYI home project on hold, what I can get prices have gone crazy and other items back ordered with no real delivery date promised.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

They are probably doing you a favor. There are a lot better heads out there for less money. Cancel the order and get something else.

inaford30, bchctybob and nunattax like this.
  19. astep

astep
    from central ca

and summit takes a few days on your order, used to be overnite

TCATTC likes this.
  20. Shop expansion is down the dumper.....price of basic framing lumber has gone so high its not even close to justifiable. Gods help anyone doing a must have building project. Problem goes far deeper than jamming up the Suez with a big ass container humper or the current state of world health. Something bigger overall and I ain't bright enough ta' figure it out. Being older than dirt means I probably wont see the long term turn-a -round, but I sure the hell hope there's a short term one!!

1940Willys and jaw22w like this.
  21. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Or being sent the wrong part!

mad mikey, lothiandon1940 and jaw22w like this.
  22. If you have seen All the Ship's trying to get through the Canal They say
    they are Lousing 9 Billion $$ a day & there are about 14 Cargo Ships Trying
    to get Through the lock & they Finnaly sent 2 Tug Boats to get the Boat through
    the Lock.
    That could be why there is a Delay in Things.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live learn & Die a Fool

23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

As my business has lived it for the last 12 months I can tell you for certain the world supply chain has been hammered big time!!! We just received a container order that I placed in... wait for it... MAY OF LAST YEAR!!!
    So yes the world supply chain is still very much stressed. Either no inventory available from our manufacturers or huge delays due to shortage of components, or demand outstripping production. When all the Covid panic buying started last spring customers couldn’t believe that we were out of product. “Well I’ll just go order it on Amazon” was what we heard a lot. Then magically that same customer would return a few days later saying “Amazon doesn’t have the product either?!” ‍♂️
    Folks don’t stop to think there’s only one world supply chain. The shit Amazon is selling gets shipped on the same boats and trucks that our product does! With our container shipments, there has been world wide container shortages, space shortage on ships and massive delays at North American ports which backs things up even further.
    Many factors at play in the world economy that trickles all the way down to the simplest products you want to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Try HUNDREDS of ships. Some decided to sail around the horn at a cost of 26K in fuel a day

egads, Hnstray and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

We have an advantage, since we are working on old cars and there are still supplies of old car parts out there. :) Sometimes you do have to look a little harder. Please try to do business with small-time vendors, they will appreciate it.

Maybe we could compile a list of mom-and-pop suppliers, like pre60svintageauto. If anyone knows of others, link them.

26. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

X2

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not auto part related but indicative of the current supply chain situation. I just ordered a Lazy Boy recliner. 4 -6 months wait. Sales person said they can't get foam for the cushions. My neighbor is an industry expert in the urethane foam industry. It is next to impossible to get chemicals needed for the production of all type of parts including carpet and mattresses. Situation is so bad he is retiring at the end of the month. Tired of telling long time customers that the product they need isn't available and won't be for months. For example one of his customers makes urethane wheels for inline skates. They have 50 employees but can't get material so they have to cease production. And the employees are SOL for the time being.

lothiandon1940, egads and Hnstray like this.
  28. It is the same across all industries right now. Bicycle industry is ordering bikes TWO model years out. I just bought some boots at a local store and the lady said no problem getting dress shoes but she can't get hikers since everybody is playing outside and buying up product. A freind builds fences and is having issues getting materials. etc...

egads, Hnstray and williebill like this.
  29. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

The trick now is to plan ahead for things you will need in the next 3 to 6 months otherwise you simply won't get it.

This applies to everything even from the big box stores like white PVC fencing which right now is very hard to find and when I inquired about when it might be back in stock the reply was your guess is as good as mine.
    Friends tell when me when they pick out appliances and ask how long to get them the answer in 6 to 10 weeks out.

Just order things you need many months before you need them.
    Jimbo

Tman and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  30. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That is a very recent event that is just an extension of an already existing problem with the world supply chain.

Ray

fauj, inaford30, egads and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.