Register now to get rid of these ads!

CALLING ALL HIPPY GEEZERS FROM THE 60'S

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 41 GMC K-18, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Dang Ron...you wore that in Central Virginia back then? I was probably a couple of years behind you up in Fairfax County...which was much more metropolitan...but I'm wondering what kind of reaction you got from some of the good ol boys in the Old Dominion.

Ron Funkhouser and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  2. Deuces

Deuces

Good for them!...:)

3. I was one of the lucky ones. As for our school, there were basically three groups. You had the {Jocks}. They wore their letterman jackets with all their metals, and jersey's. The farmers they wore their FFA jackets, and jeans. { future farmers of America}. Than you had the artsy group. We wore Mod clothes, bellbottems, beatle boots, etc. We were usually in art and band. We all seem to get a long fine if you didn't cross over. But that's just how I'm remembering it??? I'm sure that wasn't always the case. But it was for me. Like I said, I was one of the lucky ones.:) I loved my teenage years, and would love to relive them. I later became the Hot Rod nut case. That was in my junior, and senior years. They put in our school year book { 1970 } under predictions for the future. They said I would win the Indy 500 some day. lol

4. I’ll add this little story. Our Art teacher asked us to pair up, and draw A caricature sketch of each other. Kari Funk drew me. She just used the throw away paper that was on the table. I drew her in my sketch pad. After they were graded. She gave me her sketch, and I saved them both. This was in (1969). I used a Quarter to draw her eyes. Yeah I had a little crush on her! Lol IMG_1191.JPG Now they’re hanging on my garage art wall.:) Ron..........

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Deuces

Deuces

I used to hang with the burnouts....:rolleyes:

6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron, we had almost the same assignment in HS art class, except we were to do a self portrait. Not sure where my pencil drawing is of this, but the picture used to draw it; hangs in my garage: DBFCDDED-44CC-4E07-91C9-FF55568E56B5.jpeg

wicarnut, williebill, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Well Ron, now I've got to check the Indy 500 statistics.

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I hung with the greasers, freaks and even a few of the more regular Joes. Must
    have been how the stars were aligned any particular night, who was at Dog 'N Suds
    and who I ran into first when I pulled out of the driveway.

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like she had you down pat....

10. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oh man, I mean a lot of these stories sound like I lived them. Had a bad start to HS. Issues with authority figures. But I'm much better now!

quick85, williebill, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  11. Thanks for sharing this. I qualify as a hippy, geezer from the '60's. Grew up in SF Bay Area, going to all the music venues, concerts in Golden Gate Park, etc. but for whatever reason did not go to Altamont. Probably lucked out as it definitely foreshadowed the end of the good times.

12. This photo was taken on May 4, 1972 the day Brenda & I got married. :) HRP

wedding photo.jpg

13. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

We used to DO burnouts.
    Seriously, I would have been classified burnout/gearhead.

14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah, give her a chance on some other stuff, she's great. Pearl is a great record.

And the Morrison story didn't go down like that. They did have a drunken hookup one night. A few weeks later he treated her like trash, she cracked him. Or so I've read....

I dig a lot of the bands you guys are talking about. Beach Boys were my parents favorite, and my first concert. They took me when I was a kid. I always day dreamed of being in the band when I was a kid, and I learned to sing harmony by singing to them, the Everly bros, and the Andrews sisters.

15. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Being from Michigan, you had a lot of greats also: all of Motown, MC5, bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Ted "Madman" Nugent, and on and on...

16. Remember the rumor that Alice Cooper was really Eddie Haskell from Leave it to Beaver?

17. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Yes, along with "Paul Is Dead!" (McCartney of course). He wasn't wearing
    shoes on the Abby Road album cover. Gee, makes perfect sense to me.

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Mr. Rogers was a snipet in Viet Nam, with a number of confirmed kills, was my favorite.

19. I never heard that one. That might even be more absurd than the tales about hearing the devil when you played certain records backwards.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Jerry Mathers (Beaver) was supposed to have been killed in Viet Nam. In
    tv interviews he couldn't believe he was dead. There was also the story that
    Rock Hudson married Jim Nabors. That one really made nationwide news.

21. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

What are you talking about? Listen to both "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" and
    "Devil In A Blue Dress" backward. You'll hear Mephistopheles tell you to "Be sure
    to drink your Ovaltine". Scary indeed.

22. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

My God look at those beautiful legs...

He must work out!!!

23. Deuces

Deuces

Play "I got blisters on my fingers" from Helter Skelter backwards and tell us what gets said....;):confused::eek:
    Or, how about Revolution #9????...

24. I have a tough enough time listening to them forward. ;)

25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Aw, don't say that. I can see Eddie Cochran & Gene Vincent but please don't
    say the Big Bopper tops your list.

Wait, "wraymen". Ah, I get it, Link Wray and his Wraymen.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  26. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I've wondered about a few screen names. Like is Moriarty a Sherlock Holmes fan or what...

27. 259D3341-69B4-4A97-AFF0-20D524722E0F.jpeg
    Just happened to be listening to him when I joined up. I like all kinds of music.

28. Post Hippy? Early Freak? .......I can’t remember....too much fun.:)
    5723C102-2643-4C94-8460-70548F547F11.jpeg

Dogberg, R A Wrench, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  29. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Dude! "Could I buy some pot from you?" LOL.

Link Wray - he had a song called "Rumble", and it was actually banned by many radio stations for airplay.

Thing was, it was an instrumental. I mean, things sure have changed. Not all for the better.