Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bumper ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 392_33, Mar 27, 2021.

1. 392_33

392_33

I need some bumper ideas for my -52 Chevy that has -55 Packard tail lights. Right now I am playing around with a -56 Packard bumper but not totally sold on the idea and it need major mods to look right. Input highly appreciated bumper1.jpg bumper2.jpg

Attached Files:

williebill and Stogy like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I like the bumper a lot, maybe the ends are too tall for the Chevy fender?

Packard tailight.jpg Just a quick look - the bumper extension overwhelms the distance remaining to the bottom of the taillight. - possibly trim the fender extension height so the distances are equal? I really don't have a good eye for this sort of "fine tuning".

Russ

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Side profile is awesome from my Artistic eye (neat Custom work and Customs truly are Art...just my opinion of course...

Personally the bumper looks Near perfect in size...as Russ says perhaps a little less height but to me no more than an inch...I look at the Skirt I feel its height flows with the existing height so if one takes to much off that flow is broken...

The Fwd angle is a complimentary slight degree in angle that works...the top could be angled to the lower taillight trim angle but that it may like the fwd angle work being straight to a visual centerline from front to back...

Maybe find some Bristol or tape and mask off to appear as cut away and sit back with a beer and do the Valley Custom Eye Training...

Yeeeesssss....Walking a mile in their shoes eh!!...sharp looking Custom 392

Do you have a build Thread @392_33?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    williebill, VANDENPLAS and 392_33 like this.
  4. 392_33

392_33

I actually did cut it down about 1.5” this afternoon, now I have to move it forward to close the gap B72E295D-B7AE-4282-8448-B9D4BF108710.jpeg

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm liking that big-time...Russ was onto something...

6. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My quick and clumsy attempt with MS Paint. Moving the cut down bumper forward and flush with the rear panel looks pretty good.
    bumper.jpeg

Budget36, williebill, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  7. JUSTIN PERSINGER

JUSTIN PERSINGER

I like it flush, I was going to recommend either flush or slightly recessing the bumper.

Sent from my XP8800 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  8. 392_33

392_33

Nice! I don’t think recessed will work that great because the bumper is wider than the sheet metal side to side, although it would look good from the side view.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BumpMod292v1.jpg

:rolleyes:...Version 1 Similar to your 1st Cut

BumpMod292.jpg

:rolleyes:...Version 2 Similar to your 1st Cut but bumper moved up to flush the bottom slightly...

BumpMod292v3.jpg

:rolleyes:...Version 3 1st Cut but bumper moved up to flush the bottom and Top...

BumpMod292Olay.jpg
    :rolleyes:...Version 1 with Overlay of Russ's mod layout to Cut so the cut wasn't as deep as Russ's and more than my suggestion of an 1'...

Hope this helps a little...;)

I'm thinking since the Taillight Bezel Sticks Out the bumper out a bit rather than Flush looks better but that is just my opinion...;)

I did one more with the same bumper moved up and fwd to flush as was being discussed...

TrailerTrashToo and williebill like this.
  10. 392_33

392_33

“Helps a little”? That is flippen awesome!!!Thanks for the effort. I will do some more cutting and pasting this week. I think I need to go close but not flush. There is also some side to side considerations where flush does not work unless I split the bumper down the center and make it narrower.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill and Stogy like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your Welcome 392...I think I'm a Version 2 specifically because it compliments the Tailight Bezel...and yes there is Side to Side...many Challenges...But you are achieving the look here that's for sure...Paste a link to your Build Thread here if you have one...;)

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  12. williebill

williebill

Like your car... a lot.

Stogy and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  13. 392_33

392_33

I don't have builds thread buts more available on my Instagram HASPE1113

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lots of Hambers stay away from these places so think about it...There are many great Customs featured here and the Custom Crowd is a very accomplished bunch O' Hoodlums...

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Cutting it down was a good idea. It looks good and doesn't
    "over rule" the tail lights. Weld a small piece of round stock along the top edge to give it
    a finished look as if it were stock. Then, just for the heck of it, try turning the cut down bumper upside down.

HotRodWorks and 392_33 like this.
  16. I would make sure the top of the bumper and the bottom ofthe taillight are parallel. It might just be the picture but the cut down version doesn't look like they are and it stands out like a soar thumb.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Torchie and Stogy like this.
  17. 19Fordy

19Fordy

K13. Good point. the little things count a lot.

18. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19Fordy ..... that’s a tough one. The top of the tail light lense flows with the top of the fender which is a downward angle (not like the doner Packard) this causes the bottom of the light assembly to angle slightly down. To me the top of the bumper should not angle up but should match the flatline of the bottom of the skirt. We all have what we like and a custom is a lot of compromises at times...

Stogy likes this.
  19. 392_33

392_33

Fore sure it needs tweaking. Right now is just a rough mock-up held by magnets and 2x4’s

K13 likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BumpMod292TLRvF4.jpg

BumpMod292TLRv3.jpg

Torchie and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  21. 392_33

392_33

Stogy likes this.
  22. Torchie

Torchie

Keep tweaking it.
    You will get there.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, it's not easy satisfying the masses at the best of times and even from a PS standpoint minor changes can be time consuming and even then the translation to metalshopping can be daunting...but I did it and as you can see it does help to visualize and consider if its worth the effort...at the very least you will have targeted focuses in certain areas...and be more critical in the adjustments...

I'm happy to help out and am used to and appreciate direction and helpful opinions...You are at the controls and only have to satisfy yourself and I feel like most Hambers I help out, they have a pretty good eye and Photoshop built into their eyes...

There is a saying regarding Art of which Customizing and even Hotrodding is to a pretty major extent...I firmly believe this, despite naysayers saying "no its purpose built blah blah blah"...If looks didn't matter we'd all be driving Square boxes with wheels all the same color...

What I was going to say is Art doesn't have to Match the Chesterfield it just has to please you and that will help resonate the end goal...I like what your creating here 292...Yay!!...more pics...;)

The rear view looks pretty Damn good...you must be excited...​

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  24. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Agreed with K13 and 19Fordy. Trim the top of the bumper so it matches the tail light bezel angle, add a piece of round stock to the top edge of the bumper and I would suggest putting a little larger radius in the front corner of he bumper so it flows like the rounded radius of the tail light. Your car is looking great.

392_33 and TrailerTrashToo like this.