Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Who Drives A Work In Progress ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Six Fix, Mar 28, 2021.

1. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Okay so a lot of times we get a Jalopy up and driving but there not 100% finished, (are they ever).
    Mine continues to be upgraded and completed as money, time and desire permits.
    Safety 1st is a must, reliability is high priority too.
    The rough paint, old glass or lack of interior sometimes is on a back burner.
    I also have a list of upgrades and renewal of worn parts to get at too, such as leaf springs that are a little worn, or door and window rubber, headliners etc.
    Let's hear your story?
    PS mine is a "beater" but still gives the same driving pleasure of a more finer specimen.

2. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

no such thing as a finished car ,,that's like the 11th commandment or something
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

3. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Every Hot Rod I Ever Had Was A "Work In Progress" 15392890_1738059403185000_5265822778547521549_o.jpg And Trial Run...

4. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Have to agree with fabricator john, are they ever truly done? At least mine never are.

56don, TCATTC and wicarnut like this.

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Best personal licence plate I've ever seen "NVRDUN" sums it up IMO

56don, LOU WELLS, WB69 and 1 other person like this.
  6. coupe man

coupe man

I've been driving my ply.for 26 years.Still far from being done.In fact this week I hope to replace the org.door latch in the passenger door with a nos. latch I just found.

56don, wicarnut and Flat Six Fix like this.
  7. IMG_3086~2.JPG Most of my cars are like this but my favorite is a 51 Willys wagon my dad and I built together... All mechanically sound, all rust repaired just lacking in the paint and interior department...
    We Love it and drive it everywhere!
    There is alot to be said for being able to drive anywhere and not be worried about a scratch or rock chip!!!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  8. I have been Driving my Merc. for about 30 years.!
    The one thing I do is to make sure that it's got all ,the Mechanic working
    The Brakes, Tires, Break Lines , Steering & Spare Tire
    We have a Inspection here in New Joke State

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Everything I own is old so there all a needs work in progress. Lol

10. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

When I first saw this title I was thinking just what everyone has said. "There never done" My ride has been done for awhile now but I keep tinkering with it. Sometimes I wish I could stop this madness and then I find another part or a mod that will make my little ride better, stronger, faster. This process will continue until she blows up or I run out of money. Hopefully neither happens, but if it does I just start the process all over again.

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  11. My better half tells me I’m a work in progress. So I guess It’s natural my vehicles follow suit.
    They day they are done is the day they go to a new home.

12. I have my Front seat Done Now I have to Do the Rear Seat
    and then the Headliner
    And when thats done Mabey I will Paint the Car.....??????
    I like the Satin flat Black I have List of thing's to do and after I fix
    a couple of them I put new ones on the List.

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

13. I thought that was the definition of hot rod..
    .i.e. A vehicle rebuilt at home by an amateur but is never actually finished.

14. 2935ford

2935ford

15. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup, sounds bout right I reckon.

chessterd5 likes this.
  16. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup they sleep with us they know we're projects in the making...lol

Asphalt Angel likes this.
  17. Daily...as I find more and more things that need fixed or improved. I have found that a major project ends up neglected in the corner for too long if I am not careful and I can’t really enjoy it until it’s done. But, I can drive one and improve it little by little and enjoy it along the way so much more.

1stGrumpy and Flat Six Fix like this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

My coupe was something that was put together pretty quickly so I had something I could drive. It got improvements pretty much every winter and gets driven through the summer. At the end of 2019, I had to fix the rear window because the metal around the glass was rotted out and started to leak. That started the "while I was fixing that" party and it got a pretty major body rework (it badly needed) and a new paint job in the spring of 2020. We only drove it about 4,000 miles in the covid challenged 2020, but this year will be different.

In July 2020 I started a 49 Dodge pickup project. Its getting pretty close to being road worthy, which is always the challenging turning point. Its going to be the most finished hot rod I've ever built before it hits the road, but it may not get that paint job yet. We will have to see if the desire to drive it overcomes the desire to get it finished. The desire to drive it is pretty high, but the truck will be replacing my year around driver beater pickup. Once it hits the road, the paint may never happen, which could be a serious determent to its long term health. Gene

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  19. Yep.....all of mine....

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  20. rusty valley

rusty valley

Usually, once they drive out of the garage, its hard to herd them back inside to be finished

21. topher5150

topher5150

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I've never had a finished car.. Just tuning the engine is always ongoing.. I mark every setting down and what it did. In both engine timing and front end alignment..

The el Camino I have now likes 7-8 degrees positive caster with hardly any negative camber. When I move the negative camber past .50 it wants to go all over the road, when I move it down to .20 its nice and straight.. No matter how much toe in or out I give it, the toe also stays at 1/32 it just loves the wheels to be as straight as possible. This car has Delrin in the spherical bushings in the four link. This says a lot for the new Delrin bushings holding there setting.

One time I set the alignment for road racing, 1.5 degrees negative camber 5 degrees positive caster with 1/16 1/16 toe OUT.. Wow did it handle well. It was a handful though, you had to stay with it, there was no cruising with one arm out the window adjusting the radio volume, lol.. It was like glass packs, they are so much fun for a few miles but then they start to get on your nerves..

The same goes for ignition, the big block loves 20 degrees initial with 18 mechanical and no vacuum advance.. I also likes 87 octane over 93, but it is low compression 9.1.. If I didn't write everything down I would be lost going back over settings that I had already tried..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    TrailerTrashToo and Flat Six Fix like this.
  23. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Once they are drivable I start driving them to work out the bugs, a lot easier than finishing everything then having to fix a problem.

Matt55folife and Flat Six Fix like this.
  24. atch

atch

I believe that the summation of all the above (and what I believe to be true) is "everyone who has ever posted on the H.A.M.B."

guthriesmith and Flat Six Fix like this.
  25. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I think that it being a work in progress is it's most endearing quality.

26. unfinished

unfinished

27. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I intentionally drive my cars for one season of various car events before doing any finish work. Once I'm sure they are reliable, and I wont be digging back into them, then I begin the bodywork, and other finish work.
    But even later after my cars are completed for me, I still make occasional changes, just to keep from being bored with them. They really never are totally finished, just temporarily completed.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  28. Part of the fun is that they are never truly "finished"... there's always something else to make improvements on!

29. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yep, it took 5 years and 20,000 mile to get mine back in the garage for paint and upholstery. Shaking it down ,boss. Shaking it down.

chessterd5 likes this.