Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 265 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hippie 13, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Hippie 13

Hippie 13

Hi everyone I have a 1955 Chevy with a 265 in it runs really great ,I would like to install a L79 cam with long tube headers and aluminum intake on it does anyone see any reason why this will not work . I have taken care of the oiling issue that the 265 has with the block not having the hole in it to oil with a different distributor , I would like to do this for the modern sound with the cam and headers that I remember as a teen , I am 70 now . Also I have already installed a holly sniper EFI thanks for any information . Roger

2. I dont know the specs on the L79 cam,but the smaller SBC doesnt like as much duration as a 350.Dont over do it.

Deuces likes this.
  3. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I thought the cam was different in 265's...The rear bearing on the cam was different for oiling I thought...

Deuces likes this.
  4. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

I recall the cam will also need a relief in the rear bearing area to feed oil to the lifers & rockers, I recall in 1963 using a friends cast off new 62 327 cam & lifters in my 55 block only to learn the lifters were not compatible with the 55 lifter bores & would not pump up solid, it was my luck as I recall this being the one odd year of the deviation from the norm . Check closely before proceeding .....

olscrounger and Deuces like this.

5. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have used the L79 cams many times, in everything from a 283" to 400" sbc, and have done several
    L79 clone motors. As you probably already know, you need to pay attention to the oiling pathway
    issue unique to 265's and it sounds like you have a handle on it. That cam or similar profiles will
    sound great in your motor. You also may want to think about the heads you use to take advantage
    of the cam lift and duration.

Deuces likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you going to use a bypass filter attached to the thermostat housing painted blue?

7. Mimilan

Mimilan

265's have "pulse" oiling to the lifter galleries [controlled by a notch in the rear cam journal
    upload_2021-3-28_11-7-6.png

To convert to full flow so you can use 57 or newer camshafts , this simple mod is done under the rear cam bearing to get a constant feed from the main gallery to the lifter galleries

upload_2021-3-28_11-9-21.png
    Edit: If you don't do this oiling mod, and simply install a 57 or newer cam, the lifter galleries will be starved of oil. This affects the lifters, pushrods, and rockers.

If you do this mod, you must use a 57 or newer distributor. [the 55-56 distributor has a pressure oil fed, and constant feed will pump oil inside the distributor]
    57 or newer distributors are splash feed.

You can use late model splash feed distributors on a 55-56 engine [but not the other way round]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    1934coupe, Deuces, egads and 5 others like this.
  8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

If the 265 is STOCK, it will have true flat top pistons, with NO valve reliefs. Chevrolet did a lot of warranty work due to piston-to-valve interference because of not having valve reliefs in the pistons. ANY higher lift cam will compound that issue; don't do it based on that. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Lloyd's paint & glass and Deuces like this.
  9. O' gray hair

O' gray hair

I just saw this post and would like to put my 2 cents in. First off , I'm 71 and have probaly forgot a lot. The cam I like best in 265 & 283 engins is the 097 solid lifter cam. Good street cam. Even works good in 327's. To install 1957 and later cams in 265's you'll have to notch rear journal or you can notch the rear cam between the two small holes and position the slot with hole in block. I just put this cam in my 265 and sloted rear bearing. I have primed engine and have all rockers oling. Just my 2 cents

Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  10. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    Deuces, 1934coupe and Dick Stevens like this.
  11. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Hippie -

I see that this is an older thread... If you haven't done anything yet...

If done carefully, you CAN...hand grind a flat in your new cam, to match the flat in the old cam. Absolutely no reason to worry about it. Just be sure to put it in the same location and same dimensions as the cam that you remove.
    Be sure, to lightly deburr all of the edges also.

As for the oil filter, while the engine should have a filter..! If you change the oil more often than normal, I drove my ol V-8, 259 Stude for over 93,000 daily driven miles with...NO oil filter !
    Like I say, just change the oil every 3000 miles or so. I sold the car about two years ago...the current owner is...still...driving the car with no filter.
    The "partial" flow filters are all but useless anyway.

I don't know much about the L79 cam, but the noted by another poster, the 097 is a very reasonable performance cam.

Mike