Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pure Hell................picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, May 3, 2009.

1. riceman

riceman

The Donovan Aluminum Bellhousing that Rich used in Pure Hell when he went from the SBC to the 392 Hemi is in my Cackle Car. I went over to Rich's house to see if he had any 354 or 392 hemi parts he wanted to sell. He told me everything went to Larry Huff. "I think I might have something use can use, just remember it is mine". Off he goes into a 40 ft container and he comes out with this dirty, spider webbed, bellhousing and " Just remember it is mine". Rich let me borrow it. I was HONORED and it will always be Rich Guasco's part of PURE HELL !

Attached Files:

Deuces and Just Gary like this.
  2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I have one like that but no removable cover...has it been added.

3. choke

choke

To answer Beatnik's Question. Yes there are two Pure Hells. The original and the Dave Uyuehara built updated version. The new car is the one that raced in nostalgia top fuel. I had the original car at my home shop for almost a year storing it for Rich. I also had a dragster shop with the late Pete Ogden who built the original Pure Hell. He told me the SBC and Hemi car are the same car despite the infamous Fremont drainage ditch crash. While it was at my home shop I fabbed up the original style roll cage. I'm glad he put the original shocks back on. Now it looks like it should!!!

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Shhhhhh.

5. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

Cripes!

You are one gorgeous man KIRK!

I mean that in a purely platonic way of course...

6. Never mind ... looks like my fellow HAMBers have already posted just about every image I have in my collection ... with the exception of the "Pure Hell / Pure Stock" photographs taken by Lynn James @ GG HQ's in July of 2006 ... Mr. James posted a total of 23 pics from that photo shoot on his AmericanBantam website ... here's 15 of my favorites:

PureHell.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock.jpg
    PureStock.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_01.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_02.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_03.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_04.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_05.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_06.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_07.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_08.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_09.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_10.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_11.jpg
    PureHell_PureStock_12.jpg

NOTE: Yes, I realize that 1badnov already posted a link to the web-page containing these images ... but I like "pics not links!" :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

God damn this car rules. I bet it wasn't hard to come up with the name "Pure Hell". Either that or the car was built around the name itself!

8. Yep, the lower left pic is of the original car with the 6 point bird cage that was brought back in the 90's... then Rich built a new car, longer chassis, that is it in the upper right... and the car that ran low 6's... then the one pic with the big radius 3 point cage is the old car after they retired it... but then the cage wasn't "right" so Rich had an exact duplicate of the old cage put on the car...

Sam

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Rich and PURE HELL are going on the road with Goodguys!!!!

The Goodguys Vintage Drag Racing Association is proud to announce a historical AA/Fuel Altered match race series for the 2009 racing season. Rich Guasco’s “Pure Hell” bantam roadster will come out of retirement to race Dave Hough’s “Nanook” ’23 Ford roadster at all three Midwestern Goodguys vintage drag racing events. Nostalgia Top Fuel racer Jason Richey will drive Pure Hell while Nanook will be piloted by longtime Hough family member and chassis builder Vince Generalao – the car’s regular driver.

Both cars have over eighty-eight years of combined quarter mile history. Pure Hell first appeared on the dragstrip (with Guasco behind the wheel) in 1963 while Nanook debuted in 1965 and was originally driven by Hough himself. Both cars own the top performance records for Fuel Altered roadsters with a best time of 6.18 @ 236mph for Nanook and a 6.32 @ 238mph for Pure Hell. The last time they appeared together came in 2004, when both cars participated in the Goodwood Festival in the United Kingdom.

The match race series will see the popular Fuel Altered’s do battle at the Goodguys 21st Hot Rod Nationals, June 12, 13 & 14 at O’Reilly Raceway Park @ Indianapolis, the 8th DuPont Blue Suede Cruise, August 28-30 @ Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio and the 2nd Nostalgia Nationals, October 16-18 at Beech Bend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

The sweet return to AA/Fuel Altered match racing, so popular in the 60s 70s is music to the ears of both camps. “I need this,” grinned Guasco, who hasn’t raced in head to head competition since the 2000 season. The Nanook camp has remained busy on the exhibition and match race circuit campaigning their hot rod extensively throughout the US, Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom. “We ran fourteen events in 2008,” said Hough. “I’m so glad Rich is coming back out to race. This is going to be a real treat to drag racing fans around the country.”

[​IMG]

10. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

my new favorite thread. Pure Hell rocks!!!

11. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Pure Hell was just awesome!

12. riceman

riceman

The inspection cover was on there and was set up for a 3 disc clutch

13. Shoprag

Shoprag

This is one of my favorite shots!!!

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. not to hijack too much, but i work with one of leon fitzgeralds (pure heaven) kids. i finally met him at the march meet and talked to him for awhile.....a real nice guy. now i gotta work on his kid to find some old action pics. this is one of the best pictures ever..............

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  15. Guasco’s latest incarnation of Pure Hell cacklin' @ the '09 Goodguy's West Coast Nats:

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VG3rxf7XQL0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VG3rxf7XQL0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

16. 33HEMI

33HEMI

This is the new Pure Hell T shirt.

[​IMG]

17. Got to watch Pure Hell run yesterday at Eagle Field. For a treat watch the video, fast forward to about 6:39:45 to see them prep and then the massive smoky burnout before the run where it disappears in an 1/8th mile wall of smoke.

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/2071963/events/2785041

They fire the motor at about 6:48:00

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. Mick Coyne

Mick Coyne

My friend/fabricator had it at his home/shop while building my suspension/roll cage.
    I got to sit in it, has to be a scary ride!
    Mick Pure Hell 8.jpg Pure Hell 1.jpg Pure Hell 6.jpg Pure Hell 7.jpg

19. 34Larry

34Larry

By all means one of the nattiest fuel cars ever. I'm a big fan of all the 33/34 Ford fuel coupes that ran in the era also. Pure Hell had to meet up some place if coupes and roadsters were allowed to race each other, wish I could have witnessed those runs.

20. Dennis D

Dennis D

Guys that drove these cars had to carry their balls around in a wheelbarrow.

21. McTavish77

McTavish77

No joke Dennis D...that’s the damn truth! I had the pleasure of seeing this thing run at Famoso about 25 years ago. It was a site to see!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Dennis D

Dennis D

I haven't seen this car in person, but I have watched some other AA/FA cars run. Unfreakin' real they are!

23. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

My photo from Indy Nationals
    Pure Hell.jpg

24. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Hemi Powered, 20170912_115937.jpg

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  25. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Just watched a few YouTube vids of runs.
    DsO-TIaXoAECqCu.jpg