Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Discouraging Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheSteamDoc, Mar 25, 2021.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Not everyone needs the same goal, a finished car may be too far in the future, personally I want two Model A Ford bodies finished in ready to paint primer. If there is life leftover I'll think about the chassis.

2. That doesn't look too bad at all! I started tearing down my '31 roadster this week; just got the firewall out 10 mins. ago. Now comes the subframe... not much left of it as it was channeled long ago. Hoping I can save a few pieces of it which will help un-channeling the body. You just have to start somewhere; keep going, and someday you'll get there.

3. adam401

adam401

Full blown hot rod projects are a shit ton of work. From what you posted heres my thoughts.

You need a welder (which you're saving for). And you need to learn to weld. This will make many things that seem like daunting tasks doable

You need a clear simple plan. Want a traditional Ford based hot rod? I would do model A rear axle (torque tube length will work), Ford 3 speed trans (doesnt have to be a 39, anything 33-39 will work) and a flathead or early small block chevy with adapter. These parts bolt together easily. You can use any push pull steering. Ive used model A steering , ive used f1 steering. They both work well.

Again keep it simple. Its your first build so the important thing is getting it done so you can enjoy it. A car that you dont finish is pointless.

Buy the right parts. Sometimes that means waiting if youre on a budget but dont try to make the wrong thing work. Buy the right shit. The road less traveled is often less traveled for a reason.

Stick to it. Cars get done through constant work. Do something everyday. Most people dont have huge blocks of time to work on cars. My project get done 45 minutes at a time.

It'll all be worth it when your driving it. You'll be able to say you built it and thats a big part of this hobby for alot of us.

Attend events near you. You'll meet people. Getting in the loop helps with parts and knowledge and motivation.

Get on Instagram. Thats where alot of the good parts sell.

Good luck

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    trollst and grumpy65 like this.
  4. Took this pic from your profile. Now others can see. Does,nt look to bad at all.
    TheSteamDoc.jpg

buzzbrother, AHotRod, slim38 and 7 others like this.
  5. grumpy65

grumpy65

Jeez.........................I'll swap, what do you say ???.....:rolleyes:

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks 34 GAZ, I remembered seeing that photo, and agree that looks like a great start, I'll like to find one like it. If the plan is to build a stock body stepping up and buying a replacement sub frame is the way to go IMO. I stole this off an eBay listing, not mine or do I know the seller. For a grand plus shipping you would have a flat square foundation to add a cowl to and attach the rest of the panels s-l500 (1).jpg

7. 62rebel

62rebel

Where is Bryceville in relation to Ocala?

8. grumpy65

grumpy65

Bryceville is 89.5 miles north of Ocala via US 301 S. Just in from Jacksonville.

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I wish my current project would have been as good when I started it two years ago!
    When my buddy and I walked past the '39 Chev coupe at a swap meet 2 yrs. ago, it was rusty, and almost all the metal from 4" down was rotted, and beyond repair. I wanted a '39 Chev coupe bad, but this thing was a horrible start, even if it was dirt cheap! After talking to the seller, and he kept coming down, and showing me more and more old parts, I just finally caved and bought it. I still recall slamming the doors, and seeing the whole side of the car sway in and out as it hung freely in the air! As we walked away my buddy looked at me and said, "You're a brave man to take that hulk on!"
    And as I began digging into the car to decide where to start I was pretty overwhelmed by how much worse the rot was than I ever dreamed it was! Very discouraging, and intimidating, as I'd never done more than floor, or other small body patches before. But I kept telling myself I couldn't lose money, just time; so I forged ahead cutting out sheet metal, and slowly replacing pieces here and there.
    Last fall I drove the car out of the garage and around the neighborhood. And in October last year I took a 1250 mile run in it. It still needs paint, which I'll be shooting in the next month if all goes as planned. But the 6 months of 6-7 hrs. a day replacing metal is behind me now, and slowly becoming a fond memory, and not the nightmare it was back then!
    This is as it is today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

buzzbrother, 41 coupe, F-ONE and 3 others like this.
  10. Now you’re just messing with us.

11. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

Yes. Just right out of Baldwin.

12. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just like you when I drug home a total wreck of a thing. Didn’t know bodywork, how to weld or paint. Only so-so on mechanicals but had a brother who could help. I got a copy of Bishop/Tardel’s How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod. First chapter said to expect to invest about 2,000 hours. Bullshit, I thought. That’s a full-time work year.

Guess what? It wasn’t bullshit. It was seven years before I took my first drive around the block, and another two before I was comfortable doing an extended 100-mile drive.

But here’s the thing. Through it all, every time I looked at that car, it made me smile. I was building in my sleep. You have to have passion and vision to bring a dead car back to life. That coupe is a great-looking project. But from what I’m reading, I’m not sure you have the passion. Which is okay. What you have there is an excellent start for an experienced builder, but a pretty daunting task for a rookie first build. Again, been there.

If you’re really not feeling it, sell the car. Don’t let this thing sap your passion. I’ve seen guys burn out and never come back. Look for something more complete. Ideally a runner you can enjoy while you fix it up. And listen: If you do abandon this project, don’t regard it as a failure. We learn something from every car project we take on, even if we don’t take it very far.

I have a buddy who did that, a fellow Hamber. Started with a basket-case A coupe that just needed too much. Sold it, bought a running A truck and never looked back. Told me it was the best decision he ever made.

On the other hand, if you find the passion to stick with this thing, by all means start a build thread! I’ll be watching. Good luck to you!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  13. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Dude the way I get through it is just make little bits of progress one small piece at a time five or ten mins at a time but just keep moving. do what you can do. even if it does not seem like you are getting anywhere. Small things add up . I get so discouraged too at times. it is a long road. But little things add up to progress. I guess what I'm saying is just stay at it. Even of it is just a small thing. You will get gratification. I have been working my 32 for over 15 years and just got the front wheels on the ground. I realized the problem was it sat alot because of money and time. But then I changed my attitude about it. Yes the car needs so much work which is overwhelming . but I started pact with my self to work on it at leased 1 hour a week. Even if time is tight I split it up 15 mins at a time but it works because I have gotten more done on my car in the last year than I have in the 15 years I have started from. I hope this helps. Keep at it. If you care to check it out look up my build in the build thread index 1932 ford gbones32coupe
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Dude you hit the nail on the head

millersgarage likes this.
  15. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

Yo I'm in the same boat feel the same way buy a welder and get started. It just takes balls once you get moving it is not so bad. I. Doing sub rails In my car not even half way done also rotted 6" all the way around

buzzbrother likes this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Tell us more about what parts you have and what your current vision is for the car. Post more pictures. It will help us offer more specific help.
    For instance, if you have the front axle and rear end you want to use it may be more helpful and encouraging to clean and prime the frame and axles and make the frame a roller instead of focusing on the rusty body issues first. If you find that part of the project makes you happy, move on to fixing the rusty sub rails and mounting the body. If you hate it, you can set the body on the chassis, put a few bolts in it and put it up for sale as a roller. Much easier and more profitable than trying to sell a rusty pile of parts.
    I hope that you got a title, registration, some kind of paperwork with the car. If not, that may be the thing that kills it.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

LOTS OF GUYS would buy that body in a minute, don't let the California paperwork BS depress you. It is a rusty body that NEVER had a title. Bob

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]

I believe every project comes to this.
    It comes to this choice, one way or this way.
    Do you chase the dream? Is the dream, really the dream? What is the reality?
    Only you can answer the question.
    Many will talk about the journey and it's true but....
    After following a pillar of fire and a cloud around in the desert for 40 years....It sure felt good for them to step over into that Promised Land.
    This was my dream...
    [​IMG]DSCN0237 by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    You know a dream car is a funny thing, especially when you look at it every day. They say familiarity breeds contempt. I don't know if that's quite true but something you see every day, it's real easy to take it for granted.
    You notice problems...it needs this .....it needs that. I cant do this right now. I cant do that right now...money is short....
    Ah a solution...
    [​IMG]Untitled by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    In theory it was a great idea. Newly married with a family, I could sell the Coupe and use some of that cash to spruce up the F1. That was the plan.
    I got the F1. Sold the Coupe.....In short I had the truck but the Coupe was gone and so was the money....
    I worked two jobs...there just was not any time. Then again there was some time but I was not willing to really start on it. My greatest fear was a pile of parts that never got put back together...

Talking of dreams....
    One of my little dreams was to pick up my young-uns from school in the F1. Many many times I picked them up and I always wished to do it in the F1. It never was ready. Oh it was drivable but it needed this or that.
    Well, time goes by. I never got to pick up my young ones in one of my old cars. Before I knew it they were out of school, married or in college. Here's my son helping me one day with the F1. He's the big one in the white coveralls.
    [​IMG]12032999_10153743098284297_2838005386644052646_n by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    The years come and go....Many interests and some distractions...
    Injury..
    Disability
    Hard Times
    Success
    After a many years and neglect it was finally time to get serious....

I got the engine from the old red coupe out of storage....
    More parts...

Finally, finally after years of neglect, I was blessed and I was due. It was time to really invest in some capital. Welders....More tools, supplies...it was time. It was time to really build it, really dig in.
    I chose this...
    I sold the F1 and the parts truck to my brother for $500. I had it too long.
    My wife, when we got the Coupe....posted this on her page....
    This is little Truly, Truly Grace. Here she is talking to her grandparents through the phone. Truly is going to ride in the blue Ford.
    [​IMG]152206697_10158985604174297_8361027567863765432_n by Travis Brown, on Flickr
    ^^^
    I make many points above, these are the main ones.
    Dream cars are funny things. A car can't measure up to a dream. It's just a car. A machine can never measure up to an idea or a dream. There is a thing called reality and it gets in the way.
    When you own something and see it every day, it's real easy to take it for granted.
    Despite the passion you may have, do you have the ability? I did not.

Oh I really like the F1. There's an old saying, "You dance with the one what brought you." The F1 was there when I was raising my babies. It was a good distraction and helped me heal after my bad head injury. I rebuilt the carburetor on the front porch and my brother came and drove me around in it because I could not drive for 2 months. That was a very special trip. With that peppered 302, the old F1 would freaking fly! Speed is relative to what you're in. A stockish F1 with a lopey SBF and original 3 speed is a rocket. It was raw, rough around the edges, for adults only, and it was as dangerous as a cocked cannon. I loved it.

As much as I liked it that project had always been a wandering zero or rudderless ship. That little 302, I built that engine but it was not what I wanted. I love a flathead.....but was not sure I would like a flathead in that truck. The truth is, it was not a car. There's just something about an honest to goodness car.

I was not up to building the F1. I had gathered the stuff. I was about to really start on it....I was just not up to it.

The Blue Coupe....
    The 51 Blue Coupe was a new page. No body work needed. It would be a travesty to paint that old Ford. There is some irony. The 51 still needs lots of work. In some ways I think it may be harder to work on a running car vs building one. With that said, the 51 will not stay down long. Something repaired and it's back on the road vs a pile of parts coming together. Repairing a car is more my speed vs building one.

Having another Shoebox is like coming home. It's special because of the full circle. It's hard to put into words. I appreciate it more than I ever could appreciate the red coupe partly because of owning and losing the red coupe.

I realize that I have had the dream all along...
    The Red Coupe was a dream.
    The F1 was a dream and so was/is my garage queen, the 64 Sports Coupe.
    All of them were dreams even the ones not mentioned.
    My cup runneth over. These cars have been a little spice to my life.

My dream that has came true, is this family. My babies and their babies. That is the blessing.

I'll close with this...
    Don't stress.
    If you want to build that car, have fun and build it. Enjoy it every step.
    If it's too much....sell it or put away and get one that more suits your reality. Repair it and have fun.
    Enjoy every step.

trollst, trevorsworth, das858 and 4 others like this.
  19. TheSteamDoc

TheSteamDoc

20. What’s a title?

buzzbrother likes this.
  21. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You Alabama guys are missing out. I hereby dub thee Sir Anthony. There, now you have a title. :D

22. I gladly accept

Tman, chiro, Nicholas Coe and 2 others like this.
  23. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

A bit OT here, The quote featured originated from a visiting U. S. Army General, not from Dan George. He merely uttered it in the movie

The37Kid likes this.
  24. I like loony tunes better

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

Steam Doc ...
    What is your financial budget?
    What are your fabrication skills?
    What is your plan?
    What is your expectations?
    Why did you buy a rusted out flathead?
    Why not acquire a running engine and trans that are economically priced?

Don't be afraid to share these things, we cannot really help id we do not know the rest of the story.

The37Kid likes this.
  26. McTavish77

McTavish77

I had a buddy of mine give me some good advise when I was doing my C10 build; he said “every month, try to buy something for the build, even just small crap like nuts and bolts”

That was helpful while I was doing that truck and was able to keep me motivated.

But it’s tough buddy, I get it! Some folks have more patience than others to do these things; and I’m definitely not one of them! Keep plugging away at it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Engine, transmission, wheels & tires should be the LAST things you pour money into, not to mention upholstery and chrome. Get the body in primer, then build the chassis. This way if you do decide to part with it, it looks better and you have less tied up in the project.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

"A man has to know his limitations":rolleyes:

29. indyjps

indyjps

Not trying to discourage - but maybe a car thats further along or a running driving car would be a better match for you.
    Consider youll spend quite a bit per month building - if you were paying off a done car and driving it VS buying parts and working on it, is that what works for you ?

I enjoy the build process, not everyone does.

joel likes this.
  30. SlamIam

SlamIam

Me too.

The37Kid likes this.