Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods # 10 Track Roadster Build- Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Jan 24, 2020.

1. That Olds is just too cool. I hope the new owner will post his progress.

2. Marty, what about the RPU? Hope you keep that!!

bchctybob, Stogy, Blues4U and 3 others like this.
  3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dean, I plan on finishing it, just need to get the COE done first....

bchctybob, Stogy, Dean Lowe and 3 others like this.
  4. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

so was the tub body made from two roadster bodies? If so, was the front part of the body stretched? looks like it has some good leg room.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Back in the 70's a local guy had a body mold, so I had him lay up and body and a back half, for a tub I was building. He did another one for a guy, that didn't get used, that's this one. The leg room is the same as the roadsters. IMG_0343.JPG 25 Ford.jpg

6. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Marty, I hope you are doing better than I am. BTW tried those heat patches, worked ok. So an progress on any of your projects? I've reread all 3 of the build threads you list multiple times getting ideas again for my project, stalled again due to back not cooperating. Some days I think the oldest thing in the shop isme, and it needs an overhaul!

7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, The projects are stacking up, getting ready to build a '29 Roadster on Deuce rails, with one of my early Olds engines, for a buddy. It will get a V-8 QC as well. Sorry to hear about your back, I have been there ! IMG_6589.JPG IMG_6591.JPG IMG_6593.JPG

dwollam, catdad49, alanp561 and 13 others like this.
  8. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Nice! It looks like you have a good foundation for it. Buick drums? 3 deuces? Looking forward to a new project.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Atomic Kustom

Atomic Kustom

Marty, are you going to do a build thread on 29? would really like to see how you do an A on 32 rails!!!!

10. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

Marty, your posts are the reason that I check the hamb every day, thank you so much for the effort.

Stogy, AmishMike and loudbang like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty is this the Special Project you mentioned a page or so ago? It's not the one I had in mind but it's equally right up Hotrod Alley if it is...

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

No plans for Buick drums, but I have a pair, maybe I can talk him into it.

13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Yes, I will start a thread on the '29, I haven't done anything quite like it. The owner want's it to look like a kid built it in 1960, so maybe I should stick weld everything ! Thanks for your interest.

scrubby2009, Graham08, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks very much Jay, with all I have on my plate, there will be plenty to see, and a great variety of cars.

Stogy, Blown Red Ram and loudbang like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

No Stogy, or No Cigar. The Special One, is percolating right along, can't wait to show you. One hint "Racecar" !

16. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

I bet even your stick welds look better than any of my welds. At least there should be a couple in non-critical areas for appearances sake.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time travel through use of period correct technology...I like that...now how old that 'Kid' is and where he picked up that knowledge...Marty was that kid...he has certainly done the walk around so many levels of greatness, that being others with like minds. Looking and reading his many shared images of those individuals he knew/knows helps us understand where he gleaned what he knows...not to mention a personality built for success...one of the masters of Go fast...Go Marty Go!!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The man that bought the Olds, doesn't do much internet, but here is a couple shots of the rear bumper fully assembled. I have been paying for those vanity plates since 1987, I am glad I did. Rocket Bumper.jpg Rocket bumper 2.jpg

dwollam, rod1, The 39 guy and 15 others like this.
  19. Dang' Marty !! That's b*tch'n !!! Hope he does it justice. Polish, assemble, done. A literal Strode, Olds model kit.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Any updates on any of your projects Marty? I have already copied parts of your Spaulding repro, making a hairpin like you did for the right rear instead of the rounded one I made previously. It gives so much more clearance. Next I need to copy some pedals. I don't know which ones of yours I like the best, so if you are doing something unique on the new build get it posted so I can copy...

And steering is coming along. No pics yet tho...

21. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Hi Marty. Looking for a little help. When you make your hoods, what material do you use? Also what gauge? From the shape mine is looking like, it doesn't appear to have compound curves. Same with the belly pan. It's going to match the shape of the lower frame tubes and the only place to require any trick curves will be the area around rear frame up to the turtle deck. I'm sure that I will scrap a section or 2 in my first attempts but I'm confident that I can get there somehow...

Thanks Marty

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Hello Dave, my internet has been down since last night, sorry for the slow reply. I use .063-3003 alloy, and it forms a little easier with the grain. If you can find some medium thickness paper for your template, it certainly will make the fitting quite easy. Some friends of mine have connections at a paper mill, and are able to get the ends of the rolls, and it has a curl in it already. IMG_6675.JPG IMG_7136.JPG

23. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the information Marty. Yes I think I can get my hands on some paper like that. There's a roll of the stuff in the basement. The stuff I have is brown like the old butchers paper, but much heavier. Great suggestion

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, if I had this project done, I would build the hood for # 10, to show my process, but I won't be done for a couple of weeks ! IMG_7369.JPG

dwollam, bymanr, brEad and 15 others like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tanks Marty...;)...that's a nice antique there...

Is this a new build...or is there a Thread I've been missing or following but can't remember...:eek:

loudbang and 48fordnut like this.
  26. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Not a problem! That's a neat project. Will it be SCTA legal when finished? I'm going to have to pass that picture along to 2 of my friends back here. They picked up 2 drop tanks about 2 or 3 years ago. They haven't started on them yet. Finishing up on a 37 flat back 2 door. Electronic fuel injection on a 59A. Best of the old and the new...

catdad49, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

It's a new build, and I didn't start a thread. When it is done and running, in about two weeks, I will show the details of the build, and fill in the history. There are only a few with original paint, like this one.

28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dave, since it is restored to it's last running condition in 1954, it won't be SCTA legal in any way. We plan to have some fun with it, at select events.

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Marty for sharing...this is one of those moments that highlights why this platform The Hamb is so special...History is a beautiful thing...and you are one who is well versed in making those adjustments and repairs...;)

Looking forward to that...:)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    catdad49 and loudbang like this.
  30. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Being claustrophobic, I don't think I could ever sit in one let alone drive it. I can't imagine what it would be like getting into one with a canopy. Okay call me a wuss again, I can take it.

Looking forward to the story however...

catdad49, loudbang and Stogy like this.