Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Glad we have rules

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61SuperMonza, Mar 25, 2021.

1. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Since joining the HAMB I have come to realize why there are rules for new members and the amount of posts needed to fully access the classifieds.
    On one of the car specific forums I frequent a new member (who joined yesterday) was asking questions about a car he acquired from a family member and stated that he/she didn't think they would keep it.
    They just wanted the VIN decoded and what the car was.
    I called this person out on it and let this person know that we all enjoy are cars here and weren't in the habit of helping one flip a car. This person lashed out and I got 0 support from any of the other members. That pissed me off.
    Anyway, I'm glad we have rules here that keep that type in check. I always find myself irritated by those that think of our cars as nothing more than commodities and feel that we should waste our time giving them info about a ride they care nothing about. To lazy to do there own research.
    Okay, my rant is over. Glad to be here with a great bunch.

RmK57, seadog, tiredford and 42 others like this.
  2. You've learned well, pilgrim.

3. X2.
    I'm here because I like old hot rods & race cars and the people that build them; not to make money, or even break even.
    My wife of 30 years will confirm that. :oops:

hidez57, tiredford, alfin32 and 29 others like this.
  4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

No backup was probably due to the fact you were handling it nicely,
    I didn’t see the post.

jimmy six, seb fontana, hrm2k and 5 others like this.

5. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I see your point but look at it from another perspective. Most people aren't into car culture like us because we are a different breed. Those people won't find good homes for the cars they inherit. Hopefully they won't hit the crusher and disappear. Someone put the time and love into most cars that survive today. Help him to understand and share the love he doesn't know exists. Peace out.

Joe

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  6. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

As Winston Churchill once said, and I quote:

courage 2 churchill.jpg

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several years ago I bought a Jeep T-176 trans and related parts just for the top shifter tower. I then joined a Jeep forum just to sell the trans body and other parts. I priced it right and a member got a really good deal even figuring the cost to ship it to the PNW. I understand the need to limit access to initial users but if that had been the case with my Jeep trans the buyer would have missed out on a good deal. Don't know if there is a perfect solution to keep people from joining just get a valuation or to list something for sale. But if we don't completely shut them out we may just gain some new hoodlum converts. As usual, JMO.

8. I must be bi-polar because I see both sides of the situation as being valid...:eek:

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with 61super on this. Anyone joining to find out about a VIN # for a car they are “thinking” of not keeping is just lazy. Info on the net is seconds away.
    I didn’t see or comment on the post but would have told him “look it up yourself” we are here to help solve problems on our old cars and are not an encyclopedia.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. I don't think it was on the hamb from the way he's talking.

11. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

I join forums for the same reason, to further restore and maintain my car, ask opinions on potential purchase, etc. Mandatory probation is best policy, I reckon. Did 3 years to stay in my 38 year engineering gig. Just offering a different perspective, nothing more.

Joe

12. Exactly... am I just getting old and grumpy or am I seeing a lot more of this on other forums?

13. ken bogren

ken bogren

That could well be the case, but I sort of see these posts from brand new members as ads, not real questions.

That said, not everyone who acquires an old car, by inheritance for instance, has any real clue about using the internet to decode a vin tag. On the other hand, if they know what a vin tag is, they know something about cars.

14. I don’t think that is the situation here. I believe you can join and sell on the classifieds right away. You just can’t join and contact a member with an ad or see the wanted section. The deal the member got that you described could have happened here as well.

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

over on the CABE (Classic Antique Bicycle Exchange) new non-bike people post all the time about some old bike they came across and want information and value. they usually get more help and information than they could possibly need. sometimes it is a family item, sometimes from the dump, they may want to sell it or keep it, it does not matter. we give them a realistic value, tell them what is missing or incorrect. if they want to sell it we help them, tell them to list it in the classifieds. sometimes people even get offers right there in the post.

we want old bikes to get into good hands and not be used as garden art or tossed in the trash. maybe get some new blood in the hobby. we are not dicks to people on the bicycle forums.

16. Yep. All the time.

OzMerc39 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

getting on the hamb is harder than looking up a vin# meaning... and a registration can tell them if it’s a Ford or Chevrolet etc..

warbird1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I agree rather he was commending the HAMB.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

The whole VIN tag decoding is a post war deal and I don't have any interest in owning one. You have to have a special outlook to get all excited about car options or NO options. Just how much more is a 1960's MOPAR worth because it never had a radio? One of 47 made without a radio and all the other options. Different world I don't live in, but I'm not beneath buying a $500.00 lump I think I could flip for double or better to pay for what I need.

ClarkH, VANDENPLAS, warbird1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Budget36

Budget36

So maybe I’m missing something here, hang with me.
    New member joins because the site has knowledge. So seems to me the person was researching. Also seems they were upfront on their intentions. I’d surmise they either wanted to know what they had, or if selling it, be able to represent it correctly.
    Now maybe there was more in the post that set you off on it, but from what you stated about it I don’t see an issue with the request.

I join sites all the time and ask questions about things and can’t really be a contributor, or I would be asking what many feel are common knowledge, etc, but I don’t know Jack about the subject. It’s why I ask the question. ;)

tjm73, Junk yard, Callmaker and 14 others like this.
  21. grumpy65

grumpy65

So...............did you make them an offer, or at least ask how much they would be asking for it ???
    Opportunity can knock in the weirdest of ways sometimes, and not be seen.............:rolleyes:

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Attitude is a big factor, you can show up here and ask a few questions, or mouth off and bitch about the rules that are set in place to allow the site to function.

Just Gary, alanp561, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  23. More drama.....ugh

scotty t, Bandit Billy, WB69 and 5 others like this.
  24. grumpy65

grumpy65

Amen, and not just around here. With life in general. I would venture that the guys who have a tough time on the HAMB also find it hard everywhere they go, every day. Always someone elses fault though............:confused:

Of course, there are those of us that poke the bear. I think of it as a hobby, and every man should have a hobby................:D:D:D

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was gonna ask for help with the vin# and value of this '56 Ford I just inherited...but now I'm afraid I'd get yelled at:eek:. It does have nice floors & rockers though:p
    x1.jpg

Hnstray, joel, Oldb and 9 others like this.
  26. grumpy65

grumpy65

Do you want to sell the little house ?????:D

seb fontana, dan31, The37Kid and 3 others like this.
  27. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Well I just got home from work and this has really sparked some difference of opinion.
    First off this didn't occur on the HAMB. The members here are all true lovers of the hobby with the exception of the occasional OT questions and pics.
    I guess what bothered me was the fact that this individual was given the car from a grandfather that had passed and he knew nothing about the car. He didn't know if it was a coupe,sedan or wagon. He hadn't even seen the car in person and was already asking about decoding the VIN which he didn't know either. I guess he was going to see the car over the weekend. There was one pic of the front of the car and it looked to be in very nice condition. Problem is you cant determine much of anything from 1 pic of the front end. All of this seemed odd to me.
    What I would have done is join the forum and introduce myself and state that I will be acquiring the car and will need some info once I looked it over and get pics to properly assess its condition.
    I enjoy helping others with there rides, it's part of the fun of our hobby.
    I will finish with this, you dont become an enthusiast of hot rods and classic cars as an adult. That passion is with you from the moment you get your first Hotwheels or the first model kit. I'm sure all of us agree our passion for cars is a life long obsession. As adults we usually have the means and skills to make that obsession a reality.

28. grumpy65

grumpy65

Why is this a problem? It happens all the time. The car is his now, and if he is not interested, it's all good. We can't all be hot rodders. It wouldn't be cool then. Someone will buy it who has the interest..........

29. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I hear what your saying grumpy,
    I would rather it be in the hands of someone who would appreciate it.

chryslerfan55 and grumpy65 like this.
  30. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my Uncle Zeb's house. He's just letting me park my Ford there until I can get it running again.:p