Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Kirker paints

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Mar 25, 2021.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I'm gonna take an opportunity to brag up "Kirker" finishes. I just laid down part of the color on my DeSoto wagon, exclusively with Kirker paints. I've used them before with great result as well, but I think this is outstanding.
    I used their base coat additive on the dark garnet color, and their clear. I reduce everything about 20-25%, sprays much better, lays down great. This is all with a cheap, $150 HF HVLP gun. I spend about $500 for 6 quarts of the garnet, 3 quarts of white, 3 quarts of pearl coat, a gallon of clear, all the activator, reducer, and incidentals.
    I have nothing but good things to say about their products, and I get them all from Autobody Toolmart. Shipping is so fast I get the stuff almost before I can decide what color I want... BFDBB5AF-3A2B-405C-9FB8-D2CCAFC4CE8D.jpeg 04E7EC27-EB17-487C-AD56-1890BADBA488.jpeg 6D4584A2-638F-4CAF-A18E-B045B6CB9A4A.jpeg 32D981D4-003D-4BD5-B469-26CFB29EF3FF.jpeg

2. Thanks for the info! I had been looking at Kirker paints... still have no idea exactly what color I want though!

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you painting in a tee shirt? I like the way that is laying down.

4. $500 for ALL of that? WOW!!
    Thanks for the tip!

guthriesmith and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. Lou kriger

Lou kriger

Beautiful finish. Nice job.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

6. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nice job and I am jealous:(

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yup. I like the hair on my arms all stiff from the overspray...

8. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

That looks really slick. Nice job.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Some of you might remember my Deuce pickup, I have always liked primer and on a whim I gave Kirker a try, I used their semi-gloss hot rod black and I loved it, I drove the truck for 7 years and the finish looked as good the day it was sprayed. HRP

[​IMG]

10. fordor41

fordor41

We painted our '60 with Kirker paint. had fantastic luck and was one third the cost of PPG locally

11. My pal Dave recently finished this truck and he used Kirker Gloss Black. HRP

[​IMG]

Blues4U, flynbrian48, dwollam and 4 others like this.
  12. It has been years since I shot Kirker, but I thought it shot nice and lasted good as well especially considering the cost. It looks great on your wagon!

And, I had to laugh about the stiff hair on your arms. I have always painted in just a t-shirt and likely even shorts so can relate... :D

flynbrian48 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I used it on the Willy’s and will use it again on the Prefect. The price of materials was half of others and the two issues I had were my fault not the product. It had been well over 20 years since I had done a total and I didn’t read the directions on the reshoot/flash time of the sealer. All and all I was very pleased.

Attached Files:

14. First rule for paint to look good.
    “Painting is 90% prep 10% spray technique”
    Some folks think cheap paint means less prep work. Then blame the cheap paint for looking bad.
    Ya did good.

HotRod33, chevyfordman, fauj and 2 others like this.
  15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yup. It cost a fraction of PPG or Sherwin Williams. The only drawback is the limited color selection. No factory matching or customized colors, unless you select a candy and use it over different base colors. I would guess I’m at way under a grand for ALL the material for this car, from bare metal, including filler (not much of that), FestherFil, primers, consumables and colors. Plus, I’ve got everything for the roadster, with the exception of the color, left over.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

dwollam and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Shot my coupe with Kirker Enduro prime epoxy primer last summer. It sprayed nice and seems to have bonded well. I’ll start sanding and filling this spring. Several things I liked about it was no induction time, if you don’t mix enough and need to mix more you don’t have to sit and wait. Has a short pot life, here in the PNW, it may get into the 70’s during the day but cools off at night not leaving many warm painting days. It was also reasonably priced, but wasn’t the primary factor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Looks good Brian!! The old "turd brown" is just a memory now.

18. 34Larry

34Larry

That's flat Kirker on my piece. Loved the price.

19. I've used Kirker for about 15 years. I do use House of Color clear as a top coat. My stuff sits outside a lot and I'm not a fan of cheaper clears. :)

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_3573.JPG

Here is the completed job, cut and buffed.

21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

car looks great.

22. BJR

BJR

49 dash.jpg
    I painted my dash with Kirker paint.