Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Bought myself a '53 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mikko_, Dec 7, 2020.

1. In my experience, they are great old cars. I was not a great fan of the automatic, but I was not gentle with it.
    I hope you have a lot of fun with the car.
    BTW:
    You will often see this transmission referred to as a two speed automatic, but that is not the case. In normal driving, it will normally start in 2nd. It will only start in first when you select low.
    Ford did supply a two speed Borg Warner automatic in later years, I think around 1959. I am not sure, but I believe the case on the later transmission was aluminum, and not cast iron like the early transmissions.
    Another thing. You will see that the transmission requires type F automatic transmission fluid. Don't fret, all the modern Dextron fluids meet and exceed the type F specification.

Bob

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Mikko_ likes this.
  2. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Thanks for the information.

j-jock likes this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

Amazing there are still unmolested 67 year old cars out 'there'!
    I learned to drive a 53 Ford stationwagon (3-on-the-tree) many-many years ago. Those old flatties are/were near bullet-proof..
    My first car was a 54 coupe with the 239 OHV engine. Like most kids I tore it up in short order. Swapped in a 312 and drove that for years.
    Great body style............enjoy!!!
    6sally6

Boden, j-jock and Mikko_ like this.
  4. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Yes it is very amazing when you think about it.

With "survivor" cars like this, I like to wonder about who bought it new and where they lived, was it their first new car or did they trade in the 1947 Ford Tudor they also bought new for it? For how long did they own it? Why did they sell it?

A lot of history in old cars that never can be verified, a bit sad but at the same time the mystery of not knowing is a part of the fun with old cars. Atleast that is my opinion.

lothiandon1940 and Ford52PU like this.
  5. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Bought an original shop manual for the power steering, nice thing to have.

thumbnail_IMG_0188.jpg

Boden, lothiandon1940, JeffB2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Send both lines of the VIN data plate to Louis Champeau ([email protected]) and he can decipher it for you.

Mikko_ likes this.
  7. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

And finally the car has been loaded in to a container and began its journey towards Sweden, ETA is March 3.

As it also happens to be my birthday today I couldn't have asked for a better gift than that.

8. Very cool and Happy Birthday! I made the deal on my 56 on my birthday 10 years ago so can relate somewhat.

lothiandon1940 and Mikko_ like this.
  9. Assembly plant "R" is Richmond, California. HRP

Atwater Mike likes this.
  10. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Yes, since that post I have learned that when the plant moved to San Jose in 1955, they probably just kept the R-code.

So my '53 was assembled in Richmond, and funny thing is that West Coast Shippings warehouse (where the car was stored before being shipped to Sweden) also is located in Richmond.

guthriesmith and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Good luck with your 53 , I have a soft spot for them I had a 53 Ford ragtop ,dark blue with a white top . They make nice looking customs ! Also they sound great with duals and glasspacs !

12. My first car many years ago was a '53 Mainline. '54 DeSoto grille, '56 Olds tail-lights, rebuilt Flathead from Sears. Have fun with yours........Don. 06272016_0002.jpg

Fabulous50's, Hank37, Mikko_ and 2 others like this.
  13. Congratulations on a great find. Happy motoring!

Mikko_ likes this.
  14. Keep us posted when it lands in Sweden.:)

15. Another victim of the internet. Used to be if they didn't have it, you didn't need. Everything from cars,;) parts,:cool: to houses:) and "toilet paper".:rolleyes:

guthriesmith and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Will do, that's when the real fun begins.
    But this year it will remain stock, maybe just a lowering since I want to do this right and make it safe and reliable to drive before any major modifications.

17. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Today was the day when the car arrived at my place.
    Very happy and everything is as expected and told by my contact in California.

The wheels make the whole car look kinda sad at the moment but that's about to change real soon.

thumbnail_IMG_0328.jpg

18. Sweet! Glad it was as described! Wheels will make a huge difference as you mention.

lothiandon1940 and Mikko_ like this.
  19. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Going to hook up the battery to a charger tomorrow and then give it a small splash of gas in the carb.
    I need to hear it run for real and not just on video.

Stupid question maybe but to open the trunk I'm just supposed to turn the key in the lock, right?
    Can't get it open and would hate to brake the key.

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. ahshoe

ahshoe

Try pushing down on the trunk lid while turning the key ,then try lifting. Maybe wrong key could be your issue.

21. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

I have 2 different keys, is it 1 for the iginition and 1 for the doors and trunk?

I sprayed some lubricant in the lock, gonna let it soak over night and give it a new try tomorrow.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  22. Might also try pulling up. My 56 is in enough of a bind that I have to turn the key and pull up on the bottom edge of the deck lid. If the key turns the lock, it should be the right one. Also, at least on a 56, the ignition is same as doors and the other is trunk.

chryslerfan55 and Mikko_ like this.
  23. Before you twist it hard enough to break it try lubricating it for a few days. Let the penetrant do it's thing and dissolve any rust or corrosion. If it will not open after a few days, yes try pushing down and pulling up gently. Remove the back seat and gain entry from the inside and then spray penetrant liberally while continuing to get the key to turn. It may be the wrong key (lock may have been changed) and with the trunk open you can safely remove the lockset and latch. If it does have the wrong key get a locksmith to re key it or replace the lock altogether. Any competent locksmith can cut you a new key with the assembly removed. Glad that it got there and is in the condition the seller told you.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

So there are some differences between the spec's, Dexron is more heavily fortified with friction modifiers, which will cause more slippage of the clutch packs as they engage, for a softer shift; Type F provides a more firm shift with less slippage. This can cause accelerated wear on old clutch packs, resulting in a loss of friction material off the clutch plates. Type F should still be available. If not, I'm sure you have a JCB tractor dealership somewhere near you there in Sweden. JCB's Special Transmission Fluid meets the same spec as Type F trans fluid. Most major lubricant companies still carry Type F fluid, you should be able to find some.

Atwater Mike and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Squablow

Squablow

I bet that old paint would clean up pretty nice with a scrub of SOS and a buffing and wax. It's very intact. Chrome looks good too.

26. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Weird thing is that it was opened last time only a few months ago since I have pictures of the trunk that my contact in California took for me.

It's probably a bit worn and I haven't figured out the right "touch" to get it open.

Yes, I looked into this a couple of days ago and Type F fluid is available here.

What is SOS?
    And yes, my plan is to try and buff and wax it. Will probably look good along with freshly painted wheels and some new bias ply WW tires that I have for it.

Chrome is pretty good except the rear bumper that probably is to far gone to save.

27. Just remembered my other trick about using my keys that are worn as you mention. I have to wiggle them (especially door and ignition) to get them to work while trying to rotate.

Mikko_ likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

SOS is a brand name of steel wool soap pads, used for kitchen type cleaning, but they also work well for scrubbing rust stains off of painted surfaces without taking off the underlying paint. There's probably a different brand name for them in Sweden.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this cleans up. My first car was a 53 Ford 2 door sedan, I still have it, along with a '52.

29. Congratulations on your '53 arriving. I have always liked the '52-'54 Fords, I have owned several '54's in the past. Have fun ....

Mikko_ likes this.
  30. Zax

Zax
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1952-59 Ford Social Group

Correct, one key for ignition and the other for the locks. On my '53 trunk key goes in tooth side up and turn to the right will unlock.

I have found that white lithium grease in a spray can works wonders on locks.

chryslerfan55 and Mikko_ like this.