Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody have an Opinion on These Wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Well, I screwed up.... I've been putting off ordering the wheels I want (Wheel Vintique Series 64) and projected delivery date is now sometime in August (it was June yesterday!). I guess everybody must have got their stimulus checks and ordered new wheels...

So in looking for an alternative (I need wheels bad...) I ran across these...
    U.S. Wheel 462-5009: Chrome Super Spoke Wheel (Series 462) Size: 15" x 10" | JEGS
    Basically a Cragar SS copy, appears to use a ET-type multi-fit washer set-up and shank-style lugnuts (these are a plus IMO, more 'old school'...) and looks (to me) more like the original SS than the current ones do. In stock, sizes/offsets I need and good pricing (reflecting quality?), I'm tempted...

Anybody familiar with these? Good? Bad? So-so? Does the plating hold up?

2. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

No experience with the wheels you linked put if you're hard up for the 64's these guys have a few in stock, shipping would be exxy though being in Australia.

3. Don't have any experience with them, but I like'em, but then I was always a fan of the Cragar SS wheels. Not everyone agrees. I ran 'em for years on an off-topic '72 Chevelle all year round, but I kept them clean and waxed and never had an issue with rust like a lot of folks did.

egads, 210superair, Just Gary and 2 others like this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

I believe hes in Washington, near Seattle

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Says they're "Made In The U.S.A."; can't go wrong with that. Would be good to know how the chrome holds up.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Matt55folife likes this.
  6. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Those actually look better than the newer Cragars. The newer Cragars have flat-faced spokes and these have a more rounded spoke.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Might see if you can find some place that has them in stock....

hotrodharry2 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Everywhere I've checked is the same story... out of stock on Wheel Vintiques. Not that many places even sell 'em... It seems like they evaporated almost over night. Now I'm looking at alternatives.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I was referring to the US wheels, they're not in stock at Jegs.

10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Depends on the car, but yeah, I agree, those wheels are cool....

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. 2935ford

2935ford

Yes, chrome........my Cragars chrome peeled pretty fast. :(

12. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

I wanted the same wheels you originally were looking for. One day I was looking at Summits web site and it had them listed, I confirmed with them right away and bought them. Guess I was lucky.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would see if a cragar center cap would fit that wheel

egads, Just Gary, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  15. Buy states-side if you can. Shipping from Australia has been super slow for the last 12 months because of virus issues.

16. 5window

5window

I agree with wanting to know reviews of the chrome. Not sure I'd give a blanket USA is Good stamp. We've made plenty of crap, over-priced stuff in this country for years. Think of those years of GM and Ford cars that pretty much rusted in the showrooms.

Elcohaulic and Fortunateson like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

The US wheels look a lot like a Keystone Raider, which I always thought was nice looking, kinda halfway between a Cragar S/S and a Supreme. I have no idea on how well the chrome would hold up, but I definitely would want to figure out a better looking center cap, as those are pretty ugly. Good looking wheel otherwise.

Really, any chrome wheel will hold up for a long time with constant care and waxing.

Fortunateson and Moriarity like this.
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't like those wheels. not a fan of Cragar SS either. :)

partssaloon, e z i and hotrodjack33 like this.
  19. When uni lug was all there was, it worked. The cone lug nuts are a more precise method of controlling runout. My advise to you is if you'll only be happy with cragar's, wait it out. With age, everytime I accept something less than I desired, I'm unhappy with what I have done. From watching your posts, you appear to be very knowledgeable. Use your experience to keep from making poor decisions. :)

20. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

I just looked their web site. It seems to be full disclosure, they list an address and even directions to get there. So they have nothing to hide and state they they are the manufacture, not importer or middleman. I would contact them and ask if they have a dealer that may have inventory so you can look at the wheels first hand. Maybe they have a list of references available. The Crager copies do have a good look, what vehicle are you installing them on?

21. I should clarify what's going on... Cragar SS (or look-alikes) aren't my first choice, what I really want is the Wheel Vintique 64s. But with anticipated delivery not until August, I can't wait that long. The car is a '60 Ford Sunliner with these on it....

wheels.jpg

... 14x6, and to add insult to injury the tires are 185s, not even big enough unless I was going lowrider. Look like they're off a mini-truck or trailer. I suspect the PO 'got a deal' on them. So I'm looking for a decent-looking stopgap, and the SS-style wheels do look good on these. The US Wheel versions are considerably cheaper than new Cragars, trying to save some $$$....

It's likely all moot now; I got a PM from another member reminding me he has a set of Cragars for sale that may not be the exact sizes I want, but for 1/2 the money they'll do.... I'll get the chrome reverse wheels later...

Squablow likes this.
  22. AHotRod

AHotRod

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cuz his aint vented. They have a smoothy street rod look to them. It costs a bit more @Crazy Steve
    but you can buy a set of 64 vintiques in an odd rim from summit (like 5 or 6" x 15) cut the centers out and send them to Wheelsmith to weld into his wide reverse chrome hoops. I did just that at @Moriarity 's advice. I got what I wanted in the end.

Moriarity likes this.
  24. AHotRod

AHotRod

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crazy Steve likes this.
  26. That US wheel has good reviews whenever brought up on the internet, the chrome reverse has about an 8 month wait, also according to the rumors on the internet.

27. Bandit Billy likes this.
  28. jimmy959

jimmy959

I just bought 4 brand new US Wheel 462 Super Spokes. They look great, just like Cragars for a LOT less $$. But just the hoops are made in the USA, the centers are made in China. Don't know how 'legal' it is for them to claim they're made in the USA, because many people will think that implies to the whole wheel. I thought so, and was surprised when I was mounting them when I saw the 'Made in China' sticker on one of the inner spokes. But it DID say 'Made in the US' stamped on the inner hoop. No matter, I've run the Chinese made American Torq Thrusts for years without any problems, these should be fine. I just think its a little dodgy marketing-wise.

29. 0nedon

0nedon

Hey Jimmy- could you say how much they were and whear ya got them from- I'm looking for some foe a 36 5- window