Register now to get rid of these ads!

THE oldsmobile rocket 303 324 371 394 post to end all other posts, (lasalle related )

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RocketDaemon, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I don't have the flow numbers or dyno numbers for that matter but I had a pair of number 23 heads with larger intake valves and port work done.
    The shop did check flow and the tech said they would easily support 500 hp.
    That was a fun car.
    A lot of money spent to get to warmed up bbc numbers.
    But hey, we are talking vintage iron here.
    Personally, I prefer low rpm torque over high rpm hp but with some attention to detail you can have plenty of both.

2. Thanks Fellas, exactly the kind of answer I was looking for.

3. saltracer219

saltracer219

You do realise that from 1950 well into the 60's Olds held most all of the top fuel and gas records as well as many NHRA stock classes and NASCAR! Those engines dominated top fuel until they figured out how to make a Chrysler Hemi work.

4. saltracer219, thanks for setting things straight. Was gonna mention something along those lines as well.
    Also, allot of monumental Hot Rods were Olds powered. Not the least of which was the Silver Saphire aka Beach Boys Little Deuce Coupe.

36 ROKIT and saltracer219 like this.
  5. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

That's really what I was getting at. With valve and port work done, you can expect similar numbers to comparably sized BBC with basic bolt ons. It's not to say these engines can't run hard, it's that factory stuff isn't going to get you to 500 hp.

There is a great video on YouTube of the late John Edwards from Costa Mesa R&D doing a big valve conversion on an Olds 324 head.

I also read a great article of a similar procedure involving Pontiac

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp-1106-d-port-head-valve-upgrade/

I actually reached out to Chuck, and inquired about the feasibility of doing an early Olds, which he said wouldn't be problem. I have a couple extra sets of #10 heads, so I hope to send him out a set to see what he can do. I'd imagine having much better breathing heads would make a significant improvement in power.

kidcampbell71 and Wyked Speed like this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You could always set a blower on top.
    While not anywhere near 500 hp
    putting a 4-71 on my old stock 1950 303 doubled the factory horsepower rating,
    and that was on a chassis dyno.

7. Friend in Orlando area has a 303 block crank heads etc..
    free to whom ever wants it
    PM if interested
    Yes shipping will be expensive

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Has anyone figured a rod and piston combination from some other engine into an Olds?

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

You will be amazed at how well those cars drive, in stock form.

10. Jake at 1500 I'd be all over that Olds. Beautiful 4 door!

11. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Like VTW said 1500 bucks no brainer get her and get it running

12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This needs to be in your garage already for $1500, 4 door or not. While a 394/Roto will fit, it's not a direct bolt in from what I gather. Exhaust is probably your biggest issue there but there are other differences. But realistically, if the engine turns and doesn't have major bottom-end issues, anything else you can do with the engine in the car. No matter what transmission that car came with (it could be a Hydramatic with no park, or a Jetaway with park, 56 was a transition year), it was a better trans than the awful Roto "Slim Jim".

I'll also second Marty that these cars are unbelievable drivers just as they are stock. You're getting power brakes and steering, and the Fisher bodied GM cars really seem to be a cut above the Ford products in the 1950s. Every mid 50s GM I've owned has had doors that shut like a bank vault, even hardtops, whereas most of the Fords have been clunky, rattling, and saggy. My '56 Olds could easily be a daily driver with he 324 and Jetaway. Go get it.

36 ROKIT and jakespeed63 like this.
  13. If that '56 has a Hydramatic, just do the crank and balancing mods required to the 394 and bolt it up...

jakespeed63 likes this.
  14. Dad Was A Racer

Dad Was A Racer
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know that opinions will vary, but can you guys tell me what steps you take to seal up the oil pan on a 324? In particular, the little cork pieces by the rear main, and whether or not to use sealant on the gasket (mine are cork) and the rubber end seals? If so, what sealer are you using?

Second question: The stock filter housing has a drain plug on the bottom where the check valve is. Anyone know the part number/brand for a replacement for the sealing washer on that drain plug?

I put it together on a fresh build and ended up having a tiny leak on the rear seal, so it's back apart and ready to go back together correctly this time.

15. speedshifter

speedshifter

It might work ok. I would use parts made for the rocket. The balance weights would be nearly correct with Olds parts. I have found Olds parts to not be terribly expensive from certain vendors. Try Terrill Machine in Tx. Greg

16. triumph 1

triumph 1

I used a little ultra black rtv silicone on the cork pieces, on both sides of the rubber pan end seals & small beads in the corners where the end seals meet the pan side rail gaskets. I’m sure you can find a copper washer or drain plug sealing washer from a local auto parts store.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

gonzo and Dad Was A Racer like this.
  17. Paul

Paul
    Editor

You should put this in its own thread.

18. improbcat

improbcat

Apologies if this is already in here, I haven't gone through all 34 pages. But it was suggested I share this here:
    The AC fuel pump #41209 for mid-70s v6 Buicks will fit and work on the Olds if you hog the bolt holes out to 3/8". Supposedly will work up to '62. The lever arm is a little shorter, but correctly contacts the lobe. Second pic is installed on my '56 324.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Yep it does! Always good to repost though so people can find the info easier.

triumph 1, redzula and improbcat like this.
  20. Out of curiosity, what was the chassis dyno figure for the stock 303 with blower added? I’m looking at prepping a 31 Model A roadster with a 53 303 Olds to run a local hill climb event each year, and also daily drive when the weathers nice... All things considered, a mild 303 refresh with a blower kit looks like it might make as much sense as other options right now. There’s a company also offering the Paxton style supercharger on later Olds that said they could potentially make a bracket for the earlier models... Not the same look as the 471/671, but still pretty cool.
    Thanks, Alan

Roadster-Renee likes this.
  21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

HP at the rear wheels was about 245 at 4.5k
    if I remember correctly..

And welcome to the HAMB, always good to meet another Oldsmobile man

you sure about that? ;)

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No, but the last post that I saw was from 2013, I could be wrong, I have been before and I'm sure I will be wrong again.

CGkidd likes this.
  23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

He was quoting my post from October 25 2020

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Like I said, I've been wrong before and I'm sure I will be wrong again! For some reason I was confused on whose post he was quoting, my bad! It's hell growing old!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    vtwhead and Paul like this.
  25. senginc

senginc
    from B'ham, AL

The 49-62 Olds Standard Water Pumps are known for their short life due to the undersized bearing. Are the new replacement Standard Water Pumps that Fusick sells that are made in China holding up about the same ?
    How often are people having to replace the Standard Water Pumps ? What success with the rebuilt GM pumps ?

26. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

what kind of pressure does it pit out ?

MindTraveler64 likes this.
  27. Posted this over on my ‘56 Olds build thread, but thought I would also share it here
    Stripped top half of the 324 today, to see why she was seized and make it easier to remove. This motor is toast.
    Anyone interested in the #10 cylinder heads or other engine parts?
    PM me if so
    IMG_2314.JPG
    IMG_2315.JPG
    IMG_2317.JPG
    IMG_2318.JPG
    IMG_2319.JPG
    IMG_2323.JPG
    IMG_2325.JPG

28. gonzo

gonzo

That motor can be bored 1/8". Could still be salvageable.

ted kovacs likes this.
  29. Gonzo, I’ve heard they can go more than most but that’s incredible!!
    Good to know

30. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The worst part about a seized first gen Olds with a transmission attached is disassembling the engine with it all still attached and lifting the block off of the crank. What a bitch.