Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Any one making velocity stacks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wraymen, Mar 18, 2021.

1. I found a few old posts on here about guys making stacks both on a lathe and cast. I tried getting in touch with no luck. Thought I’d ask before buying off the net. Thanks
    Need three for Rochester 2G small base.
    2 5/8” I believe.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  2. How many you need? I have one that is like new I don’t need... I didn’t make it, but it came with a truck I bought.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  3. Wray, I have a couple, too. Tall chrome ones that would take a filter if needed.

lothiandon1940 and wraymen like this.
  4. Here is the one I have that would also take a filter. If you only need one and could use it, it’s yours. If you need two, sounds like @chevy57dude may have you covered.

C4CB8AFE-F5AB-483B-AC57-71D7EBECC895.jpeg

5. Thanks guys. I edited my post to show exactly what I’m looking for. Should of done that in the first place.

6. I was hoping someone might still be making some from cast or on a lathe. I found a few on the net but thought I’d try here first. Thanks again.

7. But I have a pair of the ones Guthrie showed. You'll just have to run triple 4 barrels!;)

8. Lol...Seems we are too fast on the draw offering what you aren’t looking for. :p

9. You guys are fine, I’m a little slow.
    Cheers

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wal-mart. Lippy

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yep....or similar. Restaurant/ Bar supply outlets.....stainless or aluminum cocktail shaker...??

In the late ‘60s I used one of those flexible plastic tapered drinking glasses with the bottom cut off......only on Sunday at the drag strip.....low budget, low power, OT car.... :oops:

Ray

12. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I think metal spinning is the ticket (old school metal forming used a lot on low production parts). Someone with a lathe could make a wooden buck.

wraymen likes this.
  13. finn

finn

I stumbled on something on YouTube about someone spinning velocity stacks on a HF or Woodward Fab bead roller (I think... I was a little out of it while recovering from my second Covid shot).

Could have been Lazze, but I am not sure. A search should find it. I do remember that he was just screwing around to se if it could be done.... and it could.

Of course, someone with his skills could probably make a velocity stack with a rat tail file, an aluminum pie tin and a stump.

He did make it look easy, as he always does.

wraymen likes this.
  14. Ericnova72

Ericnova72
    from Michigan

The Shift Wizard and wraymen like this.
  15. I’m going to give it a try. He made a really nice bell on the end. My friend has access to a lathe, I’ve got to get busy.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. That's a good example. Note the width of the half-round lip. That's a critical detail that smooths the air entering the cone. A sharper edge without the radiused lip causes the air to tumble and restrict instead of a smooth and linear boundary layer that holds close to the inner surface of the cone.

wraymen likes this.
  17. Ziggster

Ziggster

Probably not what you’re looking for, but I got mine from Speedway. They also have them in copper.

766C41B1-990B-4730-9EE7-F6DE84007A6C.jpeg

wraymen likes this.
  18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

You mention a lathe. In our college days, we made spun discs and bowls with lids on a lathe. We used wooden shaped molds to spin the aluminum around the wood. The finishing was done on the table by hand, but the shape was done completely on the lathe. I tried making a full size disc, but the wooden mold shape was not shaped correctly.

So I cut the product down to make a smaller coffee table dish/plate. It was not hard at all, but the spinning disc on the lathe did have some scary moments during the smoothing process with the “smoothed out” metal shaping spoon. Be prepared for a couple of mistakes and ripped aluminum as the spinning is mesmerizing. Use small amounts of pressure and no big movements on the spinning metal.

If you have a lathe, it is not hard to make a wooden mold to your exact specs and spin a couple for your application. The flat aluminum spinning plate gets smoothed over the wooden shape and one could make a lot of different items, such as velocity stacks.

Jnaki

If I had a lathe at my house, I would have been making plenty of items for cars or home. Or if a friend has a lathe, you can do the work yourself. But, these days, if a product is able to be purchased online and it fits, go for it. it is as “easy as pie.” Some of the HAMB members’s garages look like our old high school metal shop/auto shop work spaces. So, if you have one of those… at least try it. YRMV

Those You Tube versions are the modern way to shape the aluminum part. If you can do that, great, but the old way was to shape the metal like Moon Equipment used to do for the big wheel discs.

wraymen likes this.
  19. Joe H

Joe H

wraymen likes this.