Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Would You Do With It?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

What Would You Do With It?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. I’m thinking 427 4 speed!

3. I'd sleep next to it in the garage for a while until I figured it out. A C1 is dream car status for me.

4. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mild custom with a scallop paint job.

Thor1 and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd do a clone of the Watson Vette you shared...if that's what it is...with a similar smallblock...you have good taste...

6. Yes please! I love this Watson painted Vette. CCC-Watson-50s-Corvette-09-W.jpg CCC-Watson-50s-Corvette-10-W.jpg

7. egads

egads

Fix the wiring and drive it like it is. Drive the Corvette people crazy and not have to worry about it. Look's like an old Great Race entry.

8. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Yes to this (with the exception of the wire wheel hubcaps)! Life is way to short for all corvettes to be NCRS cars.
    [​IMG]

9. A buddy of mine bought a 63 Vette that had an interior fire and the roof was melted .
    It took some time at the body shop but came back perfect.

go for it! It’s fibre glass and can be fixed.
    A C1 vette is a dream for most of us !!!!

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I know what I would do... mild custom corvettes are awesome.... drive the matching number boys crazy.....

corvette3.JPG september1.JPG zzzzzCORVETTE.jpeg

Stogy, 54delray, Squablow and 31 others like this.
  11. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

12. ANYTHING but a stock restoration!
    Personal dream to find a '57 Vette only as bad as that. Something involving heavy 'flake.

Stogy, rattlecanrods, Cosmo49 and 5 others like this.
  13. Probably do the same thing I did when I found a 58 Vette more than 45 years ago, I drug it home and let it sit in the front yard and sold it a few weeks later.

I like them but I am akin to Neanderthals and simply don't fit in a early Vettes.

14. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Straight axle Gasser!!

15. squirrel

squirrel

cars that have been in a fire are nasty...I'd look for a different car

16. Either mild custom or drag car...anything but stock. And, yea, a dream car for me too.

My dad built a couple mid-year vettes that had been in fires when I was a kid. That one is no where close to as bad as the ones my dad did back when they were worth almost nothing. I still kick myself for not buying a buddies 66 427 roadster that burned about 30 years ago that I could have bought cheap...

17. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Repair to driveable status, enjoy for awhile then decide.

18. 2935ford

2935ford

^^^^^^^
    Fiberglass can be a PITA but so can metal.......looks like a good start.
    Fix what needs to get it running.....drive it and it'll probably tell you what it wants!

Good Luck! :)

Okie Pete, hansboomer and chiro like this.
  19. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

#WhatWouldBobKdo

20. chiro

chiro

Buy it. Rare car. Only something like 3500 made that year. Do with it what you like. Personally, I like leaving slightly roachy old 'Vettes alone. Something about them just gets me going. Kind of flies in the face of all the perfectly restored ones out there. My buddy has a '66 convertible that he's owned since he was a kid. Paint is ROUGH but all one color. He recently had the car mechanically freshened up and is considering painting it. Every time I see him I beg him to leave it alone and tell him to drive the wheels off it. LOL
    Andy

21. I agree with the mild custom approach. Clean up the fire damage, hopefully the engine is still good, but if not it's a SBC and there are numerous options there. Lowered suspension, some tasteful paint with maybe some scallops or two-tone paint. Interior is good as-is, save the upgrade for that until later. For wheels, I like some straight 5 spoke style.

31hotrodguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. chiro

chiro

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a buddy who is retired and disabled with a '57 that he has for sale. He's big into C1 'Vettes and has done many professionally over the years. Serious. It's been glued together nicely and I believe it has a 265 dual 4 barrel SBC in it. Needs a lot of finishing but it's mostly all there. Message me if anyone is interested and I'll put you in touch with him. Think he wants 20K for it. Once again, apologies for hijacking.
    Andy

23. Squablow

Squablow

I love the Watson painted cars and if I don't have to do the work, that's the direction I'd love to see it go.

But honestly, if I got that car, I'd fix the fire damage under the hood and blend in the top of the fender and keep it as a driver-stocker with crappy paint. Not as if that's the coolest or best thing to do, but I just can't ever seem to undo anything that's even semi-decent. Everything I usually start with is hyper-trashed and I generally look for the easiest path to "good enough".

24. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

What this guy said.
    One problem...there is no such thing as a C1 at a "good price".

25. Roothawg

Roothawg

My one and only C1 story.

Back in high school (early 80's) I was working at the Daily Oklahoman newspaper ,in the mailroom. I was catching papers as they came off of the presses. It was a Saturday and we always printed the classifieds for the big Sunday paper. I was on break, perusing the classifieds (before CL and FB marketplace existed) and I saw a 58 C1 for sale for $2500.

I grabbed a quarter and ran to the phone. (Mind you, no one has seen the paper yet, because it had not been sent out yet.) I called the guy and he said "Sorry man, it's sold." How in the world could someone beat me to the score of a lifetime? Turns out, a guy in the printing press room bought it. Story of my life.

What does this have to do with your question? Absolutely nothing.

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No offense to anyone, but I am so tired of the C1, C2, C3 terminology.....

27. At least it's not just me... My son uses that constantly and I only think in year groups. I have to count every time to figure out what each Cx is...

54delray, 31hotrodguy, Jrs50 and 7 others like this.
  28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Roothawg

Roothawg

I’m not even sure the year breaks. I only know one for sure...well I know when it starts anyway.

I know so little about Vettes....mainly because I don’t wanna hafta wear the mandatory jacket.

Cosmo49, 31hotrodguy, Jet96 and 9 others like this.