Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BChrismer's Beater '40 Ford Panel Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchrismer, Dec 28, 2019.

1. It's been a little while since I added to the beater panel thread.

A while back I listed it for sale on FB marketplace, but yesterday I decided to remove it. The listing was mainly just to satisfy the wife's anxiety over some dental bills that our younger daughter was generating, and I know she didn't want me to sell it. I had it priced above where it should go for, so for me it was a win/win! LOL

A week ago Saturday, @gonmad and I ran the "route scout" for the SWMO Hot Rod Hundred that is coming up the first weekend of April. The first three pics are from that run.

The last two pics are from my trip down to Hollister, MO, yesterday, to deliver some Bret Chrismer's Mustache Wax to Davy Wilson, of Wilson & Company Barber Shop. If any of you watch the TV show "Forged in Fire", you might recognize Davy as being the winner of the episode that was aired on 3/10/2021. I had a blast talking with him about the whole TV show experience. He told me that he was rep'n my 'stache wax, especially to one of the judges, Dave Baker. He said that he is planning on sending some of my wax to Mr Baker, so I got that going for me. LOL

20210306_095913.jpg
    Parked next to Stockton Lake, after the final bridge crossing that our route will take us on.
    20210306_105101.jpg Next to the historic Spencer Phillips 66 station on one of scenic by-ways on Route 66 that still has original concrete pavement.
    20210306_105118.jpg And from a profile angle.
    Davy-Panel Truck.jpg Davy wanted to get a shot of him and me standing next to the panel truck. I snagged this one after his photo that is below.
    DavyandMewiththepaneltruck.jpg
    Obviously an Instagram filtered photo. Davy posted this on his Instagram page with this endorsement, which I thought was AWESOME - "
    Bret Chrismer’s Mustache Wax. The official ‘stache wax of Forged in Fire Champion Davy Wilson"

The panel did pretty good on the big hills between Springfield and Hollister (just south of Branson). On the trip down, it did not have quite the power that I had expected going up the hills, but I never had to downshift. It wasn't until I got off the highway that I noticed the idle was high and realized I had forgotten to push the choke lever back in all the way. DUH-HUH moment! It did MUCH better on the way home!

chevyfordman, brEad, dwollam and 16 others like this.
  2. You had told me some of this, but WAY cool on Davy’s endorsement! :cool: Oh, and glad to hear you aren’t trying to sell it...at least for now.

brEad, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. KQQL stuff right der.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

5. Oh, and Tim, you had asked me about the tiny 2" tall air filter. I decided to change it out with a WIX 42362, which stands 3 1/8" and the little motor likes that MUCH better. The filter cover is one of those little Speedway ones with the louvers, so to use Clay's (@cvstl) description, it looks like a fat guy wearing a short t-shirt with his belly hanging out.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I liked the ad though....

loudbang likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It should fit right in haha. Thanks man :)

loudbang likes this.
  8. 20210306_095853.jpg
    Oh...and a reminder why you tell your buddy to get out of the vehicle BEFORE you take a photo.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Looks like typical Jimmy @gonmad . Licking the windows.....

brEad, drdave, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  10. Lol, yep! My favorite pic from that day and classic Jimmy... And, he wonders where Carson gets it?!?!

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

HAHAHAHA!

Classic friend photo.

12. ShotsbyWessonNSRA2021BCMWpanel.jpg
    Photo taken by Jennifer Andrews (formerly Wesson) last weekend at the NSRA MidAm Nats.

Couple of things.

First: The 3rd member in the panel truck has started to make a bit of a whirring sound when coasting or slowing down. My best guess is that is a pinion bearing that has gone bad. The current 3rd member is a 3.0 gear set. Looks like I am going to throw in a 3.25 that I have within the next couple of weeks. I did talk to C&M Gearworks, here in town, and if the ring and pinion is not ruined, it should be around a $300 rebuild to have them put new bearings in it.

Second: I was sitting there minding my own business when a fellow told me he has a '40 panel up north of town that is for sale for $2500. Don't remember all the particulars, but I believe he said he even had an extra set of doors and fenders. I have no need for it, but if anyone is interested, shoot me a PM and I will pass on his contact info.

chevyfordman, warbird1, Tim and 8 others like this.
  13. Brett, did you ever get the wobble figured out? was it the kingpin bearing kit (would you recommend it after all) and did the steering stabilizer you mentioned clear up anything or just make it harder to steer?

loudbang likes this.
  14. I've been driving it "as is", because I've been too lazy to mess with it. The first thing I want to try is putting a different set of front wheels and tires on it. The only other ones I have that are the same size and bolt pattern are the ones on the coupe, and I had it jammed in the back of the garage all summer long because I was too lazy to give it an ignition tune up.

Starting next weekend, I have a month of weekends booked with Christmas Mini photo sessions with the stake truck and a Humane Society Sock Hop banquet where they will be doing photos with the coupe, so I won't mess with it until sometime in December.

It will also wind up getting new rear axle wheel bearings then, too.

brEad, loudbang and Tim like this.
  15. So...I just realized, I never really answered the questions fully.

I like the bearing kingpins and would use them again.
    Haven't tried the steering stabilizer yet.
    My buddy also had front end wobble in a '35 5 window that he bought and after rebuilding pretty much everything in the front end, a wheel/tire change fixed his issue. I am hoping that once I get around to swapping front wheels with the coupe, it drives nice and I will know what the cause is negating the need for a stabilizer.

16. dwollam

dwollam

Well Bret, it looks cool no matter how it drives!

Dave

loudbang and bchrismer like this.
  17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Missed opportunity with a pumpkin themed photo shoot with the panel! They could have all been out earning there keep and you’d be able to sweep the garage ;)

bchrismer and loudbang like this.
  18. One of the stake truck's Sunday's is for "Harvest Themed" photos at New Life Church at the end of the month. Couldn't talk them into using the panel. LOL

loudbang likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Put it on your lawn with some
    Corn stalks and a sign that says “$10 and I’ll come out on the lawn and take your fall photos with this fine ford”

bet you’d do well shooting iPhone photos

loudbang likes this.
  20. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

$15 and they won’t have Brett in the photo lol

brEad, loudbang and bchrismer like this.
  21. I owe my good looks to Bret Chrismer :D 20211016_170003.jpg

brEad, loudbang, bchrismer and 2 others like this.
  22. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

What makes you think it's not already on his front lawn.

loudbang, Tim and guthriesmith like this.
  23. About two years ago, I posted the panel truck for sale on the FB marketplace, just speculating and not expecting anything to come of it but lots of trade offers for stuff I didn't want. Then last Saturday happened.

I've had two years to prepare for this moment, and I think my head is still spinning that it has actually happened! I got an inquiry asking me to call and have a conversation from an out of state potential buyer. We talked for about 45 minutes, and I told him all the reasons why he didn't want to buy it. He asked for more photos, so I sent him the link to this thread.

A couple hours later, he sent me a reply telling me to consider it sold, and sent me a deposit, promising to follow up on Monday. Monday came, he followed up, and by Tuesday afternoon, money was transferred. I went out to Meeker's shop and brought the panel home to give it a good scrubbing and another coat of the magic boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits mixture, clean out all my crap that I had been hauling around in the back, and an oil change.

While wrapping up a conference call for the day job, I kept getting calls from a Massachusetts phone number that I kept denying, and a text message from the car hauler saying something to the effect that they were in front of my house ready to load up the panel truck!

I wrapped up the conf call, immediately called the buyer to advise of the situation, which he and I both were not expecting in this timeline, and told him that sadly, he was going to need an oil change and have to do the clean up work himself.

It was sad to see it go away, but I am excited for the new owner, and hope he has at least half the fun with it that I have had.

373092446_10229121769456605_258341048967424630_n.jpg 371107499_10229121769616609_8816145635734657431_n.jpg 373316378_10229121769856615_138878644319969249_n.jpg 371115568_10229121770256625_2095891612382065492_n.jpg

brEad, warbird1, Nostrebor and 9 others like this.
  24. You obviously need help spending all that money now so we will continue sending you ads for stuff to replace the panel so you forget the sadness of the moment. :D

25. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

Time for a new project!!

Bruce A Lyke and guthriesmith like this.
  26. Glad it all worked out for ya buddy, too bad Mike didn't clean it up for you LoL Oh wait he doesn't do anything with Orange on it.

guthriesmith likes this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well shit! Now it’s time to go bad idea shopping lol

28. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Or he could sponsor a top chop party on that Mercury that followed you home and invite folks like, oh I don't know, Gene Winfield.

Lee

Last edited: Aug 30, 2023
  29. LOL. I had several temptations thrown at me today, with one that YOU need. I know how you have been Jonesin' for a '40 pickup, and I know where there is a pretty sweet deal (no, NOT mine!!!) I was also sent a pic of a '47 convertible that would be a LOT of fun and in the "affordable" price range for me.

brEad, Tim, The 39 guy and 2 others like this.
  30. Hey Bret send me the info onthe Vert I may be interested Thanx