Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool Joey! Isn't it nice when all the pieces come together and it fires first try?
    See you are safety conscious and have the fire extinguisher handy. I keep a CO2 one handy as it doesn't have particulate for the engine to ingest....though I had and 'old timer' tell me the way to get rings to seat was to 'rev it up and dump Bon Ami down the carb'... huh?
    Thanks for the update. You are going to be all ready for the Dirt Drags
    Looks like you and your brother are Irish twins...good to have a bud to work and hang with you!

Outback, chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Had a co-worker try this on a brand new Chevy crate 454. Wife had Comet cleaner in the kitchen, so he used that. Total disaster - Ended up having the block bored oversize.

EDIT: I was told that the abrasive in Bon Ami is much softer than the abrasive in Comet. That happened about 50 years ago. Vehicle was a 1963 split-window Vette.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

What a tease! :D

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was told by a guy who used to work at the local CAT dealer that dust to help seat rings was available with an actual CAT part number. He said it was just re labeled Bon Ami. this is from Mr. Google:
    Caterpillar Part No.7F5225 Break-in Powder

5. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

OKAY Bon Ami story: I was working in a big truck dealership in the late '60's. We had installed an engine in a customer's truck, a 500 ci 6 cylinder. The rings hadn't seated in. The Service Manager bought Bon Ami and gave it to an apprentice to run through the carb. As he was revving up the engine and carefully shaking the powder into the open carb, the lid fell off the carton and dumped the whole amount in. SQUEEK SQUEEK dead stop! Customer got another engine.

6. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve heard the Bon Ami stories, but never seen it done.
    I like the CAT product, might just need to buy some to sit on the shelf!

winduptoy and 51504bat like this.
  7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Sounds vaguely obscene.:eek:

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I like the sound of that. If it were to happen, I'd have to push to have this car out here (note the team name on the rear of the body). Then we would really be rattling some windows.
    81q2yD-ob8L.jpg

9. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As promised, I have a number of updates on the roadster project. First and foremost, as @winduptoy noted, I now have a fire extinguisher for the car. I splurged for a brand-new, refillable halotron for ease of cleanup. Buckeye has been around since the 1960s, and I like the classic look of the logo and green anodized accents. It came with a DOT mount with a quick-release. Right now the plan is to mount it next to or right behind the driver's seat—easily within reach. It's a no-brainer to have one in the car.
    IMG_3698.jpg
    Between hiking to the summit of Mt. Diablo, camping at Samuel P. Taylor State Park and exploring the streets of San Francisco, Andrew and I decided to take a shot at finishing up the fuel system. Before we did, I purchased a Ford inertia switch that will be mounted underneath the dash. It will be here this week. (Thank you everyone for the guidance on that one.)

It took a little bit of finessing, but we managed to hook up all the fuel lines and hoses. Just like before, these are steel lines painted copper.
    IMG_3701.jpg
    We also cut and drilled the bell-crank arm. One of the most fun parts was creating the linkage. We were both pretty excited to see it work smoothly with a press of the pedal.
    IMG_3700.jpg
    I kept the arm and rods long in case I needed to make more adjustments. Before I drive the car, I will be installing a throttle return spring. The arm will eventually be painted too. Money is tight right now, but I'm hoping to buy a choke cable and mount for it soon-ish.
    IMG_3702.jpg
    I am so happy to have all these old parts together on this engine. I have a small old chrome dress-up piece coming next week, but more on that later.

Dannerr, AHotRod, dwollam and 14 others like this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Looking really great! Use a double return spring two is better than one.

The club my son belongs to is The Dead End Cruisers.
    image.jpeg

I went to high school near the foot of Mt. Diablo. The few times that it snowed up there we cut school to play in the snow. My friend's family ranch went from Clayton to the park boundary. We deer hunted all over that place. When I was teaching in Oakland we took about 20 total city kids up there to camp for 3 nights. When the raccoons got into a tent one night......:rolleyes: We told then not to sneak food in there. The land surveys here are labeled MDBM. ( Mt. Diablo Base Meridian). Someone drug survey chains from Clayton to here! :eek:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  11. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Andrew convinced me that we needed to try to start the car sooner rather than later. He was right. We rolled it out, re-tensioned the belt and I hopped behind the wheel.
    IMG_3703.jpg
    Battery on. Fuel on. Fuel pump on. Lots of leaking. I had accidentally left a cork gasket in the fuel filter and then added another one, naturally causing it to leak. That was an easy fix. Next time I tried the pump, fuel was leaking out the filter fitting. Andrew inspected and re-tightened it. On the next attempt, it was leaking at the fitting going into the carb. Damn. Once again, we took it apart and re-secured it.

As the sun began to set on the terrace, I hit the fuel pump and we got a reading on the gauge. Once we confirmed it was leak-free, I hit the starter with my left foot and turned the key. With a blip of the throttle, the banger roared to life. I ran it for a few seconds before shutting it down. Smiles all around!

A second angle shot by my neighbor Jon who just so happened to stop by.

The good news is that it ran. The not-so-good news is that I didn't have much time to mess with it before it got dark. And then, when Andrew and I went to try it all again a couple of days later, the leak at the carb inlet was worse than ever. We tried just about everything: cutting down the tubing, straightening it more, pipe tape, even a second piece of tubing. It's a tight fit between the distributor and the carb, so there aren't a whole lot of options.
    IMG_3727.jpg
    This is the second piece in position.

Finally, we decided that—just like everything else on the build—the simplest route is the best. This week, I'm going to install a banjo fitting on the carb inlet and run a slightly longer piece of Gates Barricade hose up to the pressure gauge on the firewall. I have a feeling that it'll check all the boxes and create a system that is less prone to leaking. We shall see!

12. Mikko_

Mikko_
    from Sweden

Great work.

Do you still have the hand throttle connected to the linkage after switching to the Stromberg?

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  13. Ford used inertia switches on everything from the late 80's on, if you go to a wrecking yard look for a 80's crown vic , it's in the trunk near one of the hinges if I remember right. I think the Ford rangers the switch was under the dash? Didn't take much of a hit to set them off, should be cheap.

chryslerfan55, Stogy, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! Yes, I'm happy to report that the hand throttle is still fully operational.

Yeah! I got mine off an early-2000s Mustang. Should be a straightforward install.

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

16E7962B-179B-4818-8419-F358FA54818F.jpeg

The question is, will a chrome extinguisher put out a fire faster than a painted one

16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If it don't blow chrome it!

Hand throttles are handy. My throttle cable broke at hot August Nights in Reno a couple of years ago and I drove home that night with the hand throttle, up the mountain to Virginia City and down the other side only about 30 miles. The hard part is that I hadn't used it since the last trip to Bonneville and salt had gotten in the cable. I bought some bacon at a cafe and wrapped it around it. The engine heat melted the fat and lubed the cable some. When we got to our local bar the bartinderness said we smelled like breakfast. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  17. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Nice placement! I don't have any data, but I'm sure both are good.

Hahahaha that's hot breakfast/hot rod ingenuity right there!

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  18. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My question is, how'd the bacon taste?

Stogy, Hitchhiker, Jrs50 and 2 others like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Today I received the Ford
    inertia switch and tested it out. It's some very neat engineering. I will be installing it on the passenger side, possibly even beneath the floorboard.
    IMG_3760.jpg
    Also, nothing beats a care package from a great friend—especially one that includes traditional hot rod information. I'm going to pay special attention to the Stromberg tuning section.
    IMG_3759.jpg
    Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up my banjo fitting, fuel hose and correct sized P-clip for the firewall. More on that later!

20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

You probably know this already but I believe that the inertia switch has to be mounted a certain way to be effective. Red button up I think.

Six Ball, Jeff34 and loudbang like this.
  21. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I'm sure cash is tight and influence's your decisions but the banjo fitting on the carb is a much cleaner and better sealing option if you can afford it. This the best pick I have of my set up leaves plenty of room between the distributor and carb for clearance
    banger.jpg

LOU WELLS, chryslerfan55, Tim and 5 others like this.
  22. modelacrazy

modelacrazy

Is that a Ford engine in a (gasp) Chevy!?!? Just kidding, that banger looks killer! Is that a FSI dizzy? (Don’t mean to hijack a mans thread but I have questions)

chryslerfan55, Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The dogs liked it. She also made some comment that breakfast was better than we usually smelled.

Cool book. It's great that some of that material make it to good place.

We have to find you a head & a cam. You don't need no stinkin' flathead. :rolleyes:

Outback, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  24. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! That's exactly—red button up.

Stogy and 31Apickup like this.
  25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I very much agree. I love the clean look of your setup.

Hahahah nothing beats the smell of a hot rod-cooked breakfast!

Outback, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yesterday was a huge day for the car. It started with a series of fun errands. First, I swung by @SAVAGE's place to catch up, talk strategy and pick up the Stromberg banjo. We considered running an old Eelco elbow fitting, but we concluded that it was the wrong thread size. He had a polished banjo in stock—and even hooked me up with his latest T-shirt of his Fueler (that I am currently wearing). IMG_3765.jpg
    Here's a shot of the car that I took in Bakersfield back in 2016.
    IMG_4951.jpg
    After leaving Aaron's, I bought my 5/16ths fuel hose, a large P-clip and stopped at a classic Oakland hamburg spot.
    IMG_3763.jpg
    Yes, I did get a Giant 1/4 lb. Burger and it was delicious.

27. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

After finishing a few work items, I dove right into the fuel system upgrade. Seeing that Andrew and I tackled most of the difficult stuff last week, it was a straightforward process. After tightening up some hose clamps and fittings, I once again had a leak-free system. This time I felt much more confident. Fewer parts=better chance of success.

Power on. Petcock on. Fuel Pump on. I hit the starter, turned the key and the car rumbled to life. It still wouldn't idle and the throttle response was lagging. I adjusted the idle screw and the mixture screws on the carb, incrementally backing the mixture ones out to try to get the engine more fuel. Well, after a number of tries, I figured I would shorten the top linkage to reduce slop. It was then that I realized that it had come loose. So whenever I hit the pedal, it wasn't actually opening the carb! I tightened it up and throttle response improved—but it still wouldn't idle. I was perplexed.

Then, for whatever reason, I decided to change the Stromberg from "Winter" to "Summer" mode. With that, I gave it one more shot. It fired right up and went to a high idle. I jumped out and backed off the idle stop, bringing it down. Success!

Next, I'm going to install a pair of throttle return springs and Loc-tite those linkage ends so that they don't rattle free again.

Side item: whoever built that header back in the day did not use high-temp paint. I wasn't surprised by the smoke coming off of it, but I was kind of bummed to see the paint blistering and flaking off. Oh well, I may repaint them VHT silver or I may not.

Overall, a successful day!

Dannerr, Chuck R, AHotRod and 14 others like this.
  28. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Wait till the first time you take it for a nighttime drive up some of those hills in your hood. Back in my youth a friend and I went for a full moon midnight ride in my old BBC powered flat bottom boat, thought I was on fire cuz the headers were glowing bright red! The stupid things we all did before we got “smart”!

29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it. Bet that thing just echos off everything in your driveway

Six Ball likes this.
  30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

1/4 Pound YES! More stories but I'll spare you. :)

Jrs50, Tim and chryslerfan55 like this.