Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Flathead Cam

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Mar 14, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

For a 4X3 5/16th street motor, 400JR or Max 1? 32 highboy with a T5 and 3.78 gears I want a smooth running engine with a fairly smooth idle and good street manners. Don't want to do any head work. Also considering an Isky 88 same cam as a Crower regrind I used to get from Baxter Ford Parts.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

What's wrong? I can't believe you HAMB guys don't have both the experience and an opinion on this.

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

SBC crate.

jimmy six, RICH B and cadillacoffin like this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

My sedan has an unknown kinda mild grind. I always wanted to try a Littero. A Potvin 3/8 has a nice sound and I’ve never heard an owner of one have anything bad to say about them.

Desoto291Hemi and KiWinUS like this.
  7. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Schneider has a 355 lift, that used in a 36 Cabriolet, worked very good.

8. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Well you gave two choices and since I have experience with the 400jr, that is the one I picked. My opinion based on your criteria would be the L100 and have Kiwi grind you up one.

KiWinUS likes this.
  9. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Yes, everyone has an opinion. A few have experience. Although the info has been posted many times on here, I guess another time won't take up too much bandwidth.
    A 400jr is a VERY poor choice for a street engine that is expected to live a long time.
    It has very poor velocity and jerk numbers for longevity. It is a race grind.
    Most of Isky mild grinds will live a long time. Some idle stock smooth, others have a slight lope which some people desire. The only way to experience what a certain cam is like is to find a car with one in it and see if you can drive it.
    Even that is not too good because their engine may not be similar to what you plan. Most people choose too much cam for the type of driving they intend to do. You can make a stock cam have that drive-in rump rump idle just by tweeking the idle screws and it far cheaper.
    There are certain cam grinds that you hear about all the time. Why is this you ask? It is because tomorrow no one remembers second place. Consistent winners are the ones you hear about most.
    A cam can have fairly aggressive lift curve numbers but still be a good street grind if the numbers are applied right.
    There are some that are right and quite a few that are way wrong.

10. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have a 400 jr in a motor but have not ran it. I hope it is a good cam. I have a L100 in a Model A and it is a good cam. I do not have a Max 1 but I thought those are a mild grind. So, not much to add but you wanted more input.

I can at least bring it back up to the top.

KiWinUS likes this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I used to get a Crower regrind from Baxter Ford Pars that Bob says had the same profile as the Isky 88. Anyone have any experience with an Isky 88? I used that cam in about 1/2 a dozen motors and they worked good.

12. Like Alchemy suggested above,,,,,a Potvin 3/8 is what I purchased .
    Pete1 ground it for me on a factory 8BA cam core .
    I contacted him,,,,,,told him my plans for my build and what I wanted from the engine .
    He made the Potvin suggestion,,,,,and explained the reasoning behind it .
    Very good price,,,,,,and the grinding work looks excellent .
    I am very happy with it !,,,,it almost looks like a brand new cam .

I haven’t been able to get back to finish the build,,,(,health reasons),,,,,but ,,I anticipate it will work great !
    Thanks Pete,,,,great job .

Tommy

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I had a stock cam ground to a Max1 based on recommendations from guys like Ol Ron on the Ford Barn. I'm hoping it'll be what I want. Didn't have an opportunity to ask/listen to actual engines...

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. I have basically the same set up you are describing in my 30.
    It has a max 1 in it (4" merc crank)
    It drives nice, idles good, etc.
    Here is a video... shot with my cell so audio isn't the best but you get the idea...
    Running through a set of Porters
    Chappy

15. Sounds really good Chappy .
    Tommy

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Choppy, thanks for the vid. You're right that the audio isn't the best but I get the idea. My engine is an Canadian at came stock with Mercury guts. I guess they ran out of the Canadian Mercury blocks that shift or perhaps everything was C8BA and you either got Ford guts for the Fords and Merc guts for the Mercs...

17. I've got a Schneider 248F in my 8BA. Pretty good for the street. Idles and drives well, sounds a little lumpy, can get rowdy when called upon. Sounds good through open headers.

18. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Been running a max 1 in my roadster for the past 20 years. e mail me at [email protected] or call 705 934 4434 if more info

19. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I listened to Pete1, and he ground me a 1007b.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Pete1: How does the 1007b compare to an Isky 88 and does it require head work for clearance?

21. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Here are the Isky catalog comparisons. The 1007B has less words because it is from a 1955 catalog and people needed less words to understand in those days.....lol
    As far as head work, that depends on the heads. It will clear after market heads but you need to check ALL heads to be safe.

(8-BA '49-53) 88 Good Mid-Range Power for high perf. Street use. Fair idle. Modified carb & intake recommended Type (Full Race) Valve Lift (.320 .320) Valve Lash hot (.010 .012) ADV Duration (264 264) .050 Duration (224 224) LC 111 $194 $367 214000

1007B
    Intake 20/55
    Exhaust 60/15
    Lift .365
    In. Cl. .012
    Ex. Cl. .014
    Slightly lopey idle.