Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Repurposed Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Ukrop, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

You can drive all over Oklahoma and still see model T frames used every where , from fence post to braces , rafters, most anything .

Bones

alanp561, ekimneirbo and dana barlow like this.
  2. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Are you absolutely sure that's not a testosterone press body builders and weight lifters use to help them bulk up? That's flat out painful to even just think about! Probably difficult to find volunteers to submit to the process too.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it is. It doesn't appear to have the "bump" by each cylinder bore on the lifter valley side that was drilled and tapped for the 6th bolt hole (circling each cylinder) on the Oldsmobile variant of the 215.
    Buick 215.jpg

Here's an Olds 215 with those holes drilled and tapped....
    Olds 215.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Ebbsspeed I hadn't noticed that. Probably a Rover block.

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Not sure.

7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

8. joist hanger I made for my barn. transmission gears. DSCF0010.JPG DSCF0011.JPG DSCF0012.JPG DSCF0013.JPG

Attached Files:

inaford30, alanp561, NoSurf and 11 others like this.
  9. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First it was a $2 hand rail at the scrap yard. Then it became a lake pipe. PXL_20210317_233538599.jpg PXL_20210317_233554943.jpg

10. patsurf

patsurf

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  11. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My REPURPOSED "Mobility" skooter that I use at the Nationals to get around..........

Apparently I'm way ahead of all the save the world genre that wants to do away with fossil fuels!:p

Scooter 1.jpg

12. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Awesome ideas! Thanks

13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On US 395 north of the junction of Hwy 58 there was a wire fence line that used old oxygen/acetylene bottles for fence posts. The fence went on for quite a ways. Been a while since I drove up 395 on the way to the Carson Valley so I don't know it the fence is still up or not.

14. speedshifter

speedshifter

Man near here is slowly restoring a pre WW1 Colby automobile, factory was in Mason City, IA . He started by finding the frame rails being used as a fence. Greg

Guy Patterson and alphabet soup like this.
  15. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

My Dad had a BBQ grill made from a plow disc, a driveshaft and a semi truck brake drum.
    Ate a lot of steaks that came off that grill.

partsdawg likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

During our recovery phase after the 671 Willys Coupe accident, we started our adventures in surfing. We tried going all over So Cal coastlines to try and get better at something that relaxes as well as make the adrenaline rise with each better wave ridden. When paddling out on a big day with an 8 foot tall white water rolling toward you, it can be daunting. So can paddling up a wave face with your 10 foot longboard and feel as though you are not finished paddling to get to the top and get over the peak.

But, on the other hand, there are some parts of the surf world that can allow someone to get creative with left over parts. We started to build our own surfboards from blank foam shapes from the surfboard blank manufacturer, just like the big time surf shops. After many creative combinations of clear, colors and designs, we always had left overs in the small bucket we used to go back and forth to finish coating the surfboard resting on two work benches. The inside floor was covered with an old tarp and some newspapers.
    upload_2021-3-21_4-1-10.png
    When we were finished with each step, it was left to dry. But, the remaining resin, clear or any color was still at the bottom of the small buckets. So, we remember the surf shops spires in the workrooms, in the back of those shops. Those pro guys always made a spire out of left over resin, clear or colors. It made for a nice art design and it was somewhere to pour the left over, instead of throwing out a perfectly good bucket.
    upload_2021-3-21_3-59-0.png sample color drips
    The longer the gloss guy had been working, the taller the left over resin spire was in the usual shape of a cone. The closer to the actual hardening the mixture was, the taller the spire could be made, as it hardened upon pouring. In watching older guys who were in the industry for many years or my friend who did mass quantities for several shops, the taller and wider the colorful spires became a daily ritual. In our backyard, the spire was there, but it was a slow process and needed some height to be noticed.
    upload_2021-3-21_4-2-1.png color resin drip samples
    My brother and I were impatient for a colorful tall spire and started our drip factory design. But it was taking too long, so we went to a local scrapyard and got a single axle of an old Ford. That automatically made the base design taller and had something to have the colorful resin drips take hold. It was instant height and a solid base.

Once the end was covered with fiberglass cloth, the spire was growing with each bucket of clear or colorful resin leftovers. The funny thing was, if these spires were not made, where did the left over resin go? In the local trash can or in a cardboard box to be thrown in the larger trash bins.
    upload_2021-3-21_4-3-8.png

Jnaki

With the surfboard building and repair business starting to roll on, we needed a better place to have a sturdy shaping and glossing base. We used a backyard picnic table redwood bench, but it was too low to be comfortable finishing the shaping and glossing. So we used a cardboard box from my mom’s new clothes washer. It worked, but it was too bulky and took up garage space. Even if we folded it, it became a hassle.

Repurposed axle housing with a homemade welded in tubular “T” at the top upload_2021-3-21_4-4-26.png
    The 42” final flat surface height was perfect for shaping and glassing the new surfboards. We rolled the two base units to the concrete area outside of our backyard garage and put down a canvas tarp. They were separated to the length of each size longboard. The weight of the axle housing was perfect for a no shake base. The gloss coats went on smoothly.

Previous post
    As a matter of fact in our own backyard repair business, we had a 3 foot tall spire with colors from the repairs we did for our friends. There were lots of clear intermixed with the color and the stack grew until it was dug up to give my mom her garden back. We also did tables and hatch board covers for decorating apartments. The last resin project was a colorful red with yellow streaks, on top of my photographic developing/enlarging work table.

upload_2021-3-21_4-5-58.png extreme art, but similar colorful drips of resin.
    Jnaki

Then one day, we had accumulated a resin/catalyst drip factory over on a small concrete pad near the backyard garage. On this drip pile was the left over resin/catalyst mixes, including color and strands of fiberglass. We poured any left over, gooey, liquid into a blob pile on the small concrete slab. It joined the countless other gooey stuff and hardened like a sculpture. Then after many different gloss coatings on various surfboards and surfboard repairs, the drip pile got taller and taller. The drips over time got to be about 2 feet tall and very solid.

One day my mom wanted us to move that drip pile because she wanted her 100% topsoil garden portion back, including that concrete block. So, we were trying to figure out how to get that huge blob off of the slab without breaking it into little pieces. The concrete was in the ground, so digging that up was not going to happen. The Craftsman giant screwdriver was brought out and that failed. The tire iron flat end also failed, so one last idea was the high school chisel on the bottom edge of the drips.
    upload_2021-3-21_4-17-33.png
    Hammering all around the blob was beginning to work, but the concrete was making a mess of the straight edge of the hardened chisel. We thought it was indestructible and kept pounding away. So, after the final blow to the base, the drip resin/fiberglass sculpture was lifted up and moved. The chisel, well, it met its match and had a big chip taken out of the straight blade edge. It was too far gone for a piece of metal, so it met the trash can and we said our good byes. The concrete slab also had some gouges, but was salvageable with several of my mom’s ceramic flower/plant pots covering the damage.

Now, we do have a chisel set, but it is not for a strength contest versus concrete or boulders in our yard. The big time chisel use with gorilla tactics is over and this set of chisels is for fine woodwork and they are very sharp. No concrete/metal strength contests for this set…

continentaljohn likes this.
  17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I've made 2 of these... one's a '34(?) Ford & the other (not shown) is from a '32 Chevrolet. I used horse-shoes for the hose retention on the Ford & Studebaker U-bolts on the Chev. 34 Ford Wheel.JPG

ekimneirbo likes this.
  18. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I buy and sell a lot of stuff besides car parts and what people tell me they are going to do with a item always amazes me. I know enough to pick up anything unusual because someone will have a idea for it.
    I was at a auction one day and there were a pair of spoked rims sitting next to a shed. I listened as some thought they were for a child’s buggy,vintage bicycle and a dozen other incorrect guesses. I had to outbid a lady who wanted to buy them and cut them in half for garden art. They were pre-WW1 Harley-Davidson wheels.

19. I used a stainless steel bar stool foot rest for the rim of my 36 caddy steering wheel. 36caddywheel.JPG caddywheel.jpg

20. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The city next door to mine, Mukilteo, Wa., there's a house that I'm guessing had belonged to either a firefighter or a city maintenance employee. The front yard is ringed with old fire hydrants, with a chain looped through the outlets, to make a fence of sorts. The house was sold years ago, and the current owner has really let it go; it used to be a beautiful home, now it looks like a section 8 domicile. In our backyard, right in front of the shop/garage, between the double garage doors, I have a 1890 patent, Corey, fire hydrant as yard art. Found it in a vacant lot that was destined to become a Volvo dealership. I got it loaded in my truck by myself, and considering it was the complete hydrant, including the below ground level valve, was quite the feat. I don't think I'd get away with having old car parts in the house as decoration. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    kidcampbell71 and clem like this.
  21. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

22. topher5150

topher5150

Are the old Ford banjo axle housings weldable? This post is giving me some ideas

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Totally tubular, man!;)

jnaki likes this.