Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sunday models

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by milo1303s, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Mike-model

Mike-model

@rudestude...."tribute to what"....lol.

Tribute to bad taste maybe? Anyone let a 41 Willys rust like that oughta go to jail. lol

Mike..

2. Mike-model

Mike-model

UPDATE: Starting to look like a motor...Fuel lines, magneto changes, brass zoomies and a few other things...

-IMG_3662.jpg -IMG_3663.jpg -IMG_3664.jpg -IMG_3665.jpg -IMG_3666.jpg -IMG_3667.jpg -IMG_3668.jpg -IMG_3671.jpg -IMG_3672.jpg -IMG_3673.jpg -IMG_3674.jpg

cont'd.

Sancho, mchook, D type and 11 others like this.
  3. Mike-model

Mike-model

...and here the valve covers, prepped for plug lines....finally! Was having trouble getting the right paint look, not too shiny....I'm using it now as is...

Plus, a small mockup session. Maybe this car is finally getting an attitude

-IMG_3676.jpg -IMG_3677.jpg -IMG_3678.jpg -IMG_3679.jpg -IMG_3681.jpg -IMG_3682.jpg -IMG_3683.jpg -IMG_3684.jpg

Next up is the fuel pump....

Mike..

Kit Bash, Sancho, mchook and 14 others like this.
  4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Give it a smack on the back of the blower hat and tell it to act right.
    I'm watching this closely

5. Mike-model

Mike-model

....one up side the head get things right ASAP

@quick85, I'm getting excited about this project now....starting to look real nasty.

Plug lines will be scale, using solder wire. Painted red. Makes for good contrast concerning optics.

Fuel pump also in scale, all brass, metalized with paint. Major fuel lines black. Tank is aluminum.

I've looked at this motor already in sunlight....I like. No chrome. Just real.

Mike..

6. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

[/QUOTE]@quick85, I'm getting excited about this project now....starting to look real nasty. Plug lines will be scale, using solder wire. Painted red. Makes for good contrast concerning optics. Fuel pump also in scale, all brass, metalized with paint. Major fuel lines black. Tank is aluminum. I've looked at this motor already in sunlight....I like. No chrome. Just real.
    Mike..[/QUOTE]

I can understand excitement building but this has to be taxing as hell on
    the nervous system. In the grand scheme of things there can't be a lot of
    modelers doing this. I was in a model club years ago and one member was
    a builder
    such as yourself, only he was into vintage Indy or Grand Prix cars. The
    workmanship was incredible so it was a kick when he'd bring various pieces
    that he'd scratch built the previous month and explain the process involved.
    You're getting closer to the end and the anticipation is rising!

7. rudestude

rudestude

You still got it mike....or its got you...either way the end results are still beyond amazing.
    Honestly guys like you , quick85 and some others.. that have got a couple + years on me..and are doing the kind of work that you all do, is what keeps me going on my model Hot Rods and my for real Hot Rods.
    On them days my hands aren't working right or I can't see what I'm doing ,, ,,that aging crap...I just want to box it all up and give up, then I see what you and others are doing and that gets me motivated again.
    Now if I can just get myself to finish one build before I start another ....that would be amazing for me.
    Yes I started another model build , I'm searching for taillight sources for the Taboo build and instead of falling back to one of my unfinished builds ,there are several, I started working on putting a 36 3w coupe, from my ebay buys, together.
    Anyways thanks guys
    Terry (aka Rudestude) 20210311_004122.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Sancho, mchook, The 39 guy and 7 others like this.
  8. ........Finishing this up. Tribute to the late NASCAR star, Reds Kagle. thumbnail (21).jpg thumbnail (23).jpg thumbnail (22).jpg

Sancho, Dan Hay, mchook and 15 others like this.
  9. ....Thanks. I appreciate it.

lothianwilly71, Mike-model and Deuces like this.
  10. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Found these in a box marked '54 Chevy truck - hadn't been unpacked since we moved in 2000. I sure liked yellow on Ford coupes. The '36 was the last one built, late '61. HPIM3302.JPG HPIM3303.JPG HPIM3305.JPG HPIM3296.JPG HPIM3297.JPG HPIM3298.JPG HPIM3299.JPG HPIM3306.JPG HPIM3307.JPG HPIM3308.JPG HPIM3309.JPG HPIM3310.JPG HPIM3311.JPG HPIM3312.JPG

Sancho, mchook, The 39 guy and 14 others like this.
  11. It's fun when you open up a box that you had forgotten about and find a few treasures inside.:)

12. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

A couple of years after I got married (1973) my dad gave me assorted small things
    I'd left behind but I didn't get my model cars, most of my Ventures records or the
    military baton that was found in my first car (he kept that for himself). I really
    wanted those models and my "Ventures In Space" album.

rudestude, Mike-model, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  13. Mike-model

Mike-model

UPDATE: Motor is done. Well, two holes for oil lines at the pan right side...anyways. Paint is still wet on the plug lines, they're solder wires, brushed with a red water based acrylic paint. Ahem, from the children's department at a local store. I bought some modeling clay that day as well....great for holding stuff in place!! Heck, I even bought an array of colored pencils...I like to draw too.

Here the motor finally. This was a "Donovan 417" kit from a fellow of known resin fame. i changed it back to a stock 392. It was rough as a cob and finally the not smooth valve covers almost had me painting them black, to end the misery so to say. I don't like the finish, but I gave in. I like the motor though very much.

b1.jpg b2.jpg b3.jpg b4.jpg b5.jpg b6.jpg b7.jpg

Only a few more things to do. Fuel tank, oil filter to the chassis and a chute. All other sub assemblies are done. No more paint, that's all done.

Oh, the body. More later.
    Mike..

Sancho, mchook, gearhead9663 and 15 others like this.
  14. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Mike---- We used clay in the old days before poster putty was invented. Seems like the clay leaves some residue where as the putty does not. I think the putty isn't quite as rigid though and sometimes is too sticky.

Mike-model, Deuces and rudestude like this.
  15. 20180226_003826.jpg 20180226_195300.jpg
    I loved that album cover so much I framed it, then created a 1/25 scale model of the Fred Steele T Bucket to display with the LP.

16. rudestude

rudestude

Here you go quick, a little visual fix for your Ventures blues, I know its not as good as hearing it on your own stereo....turned up with some bass and a bit of reverb added...welcome to barrow it..ya I know.
    Years back at a big Rod Run i attended they had some of the old bands slated to play , Paul Revere & Raiders,
    Ventures and other, I don't remember what all happened but the bands were running late and the Ventures were the last to play .
    Well by the time the Ventures got on stage , most of the crowd had left the place, it was so sad and so pissed for the lack of crowd, they came out ,obviously shocked, but they jammed...Twilight Zone was so cool...I don't think they played the complete set that they had planned...the grounds started shutting down, but what they did play out did the previous bands IMO. 20210314_154918~3.jpeg

17. rudestude

rudestude

Dice good thing you framed yours, I didn't..you can obviously tell there's a difference.
    Mine got played alot and obviously not stored well...I still play them through.
    Nice model , very good recreation.

Mike-model, quick85 and Deuces like this.
  18. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

I have the album too. Love the song titles. I would nominate "HE NEVER CAME BACK'' as the theme song for the first manned mission to Mars!!! Could be played as the crew enters the capsule.

Mike-model, rudestude and Deuces like this.
  19. 20180130_234436.jpg 20180121_225430.jpg 20180131_232852.jpg Thanks for the compliment Stude. Finding out the story behind the real car build and the album shoot was as much fun as putting together everything for the model.

20. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Got the Starliner done.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

21. Deuces

Deuces

That Starliner turned out beautiful!!!!!..... o_O:):cool: cQDuSJ.gif 200.gif.8ceb1775f238d002a752cdf6603fc857.gif

22. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Mike, the engine looks great, it'd be a nice little display item on it's own
    in a plastic box or a block of Lucite. Will you be hanging tin on the entire
    length of the car or just around the driver? It's impressive, my friend.

Deuces, Mike-model and rudestude like this.
  23. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Dice, you posted the model previously and it still knocks me out. I think "Ventures In Space"
    has the koolest of all car related album covers. It disappointed me when I didn't get that
    one back. I haven't been able to replace it or it'd be on my wall with a few others. At least
    I have it on cd.

Deuces and Mike-model like this.
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Terry, I guess that's one of the pains of being a headliner. Of course, had it been
    Zeppelin or the Who people would have stayed all night. In a case like this people
    don't know what they missed and those of you that stayed got a treat.

This has nothing to do with anything but I'll tell the story. In '76 I had my van
    in a three day van show. Saturday night the feature entertainment was Chubby
    Checker. At the time I was digging Foghat, Marshall Tucker, The Allman Bros.
    etc. and thought who wants to see Mr. Checker. Well, I couldn't believe the show
    he put on with a guitar, bass, drums and organ. He was a showman and man could
    he sing. I could have blown off his show but stayed and had a hell of a time.

Oh yeah, your albums have seen some action!

Deuces, Mike-model and rudestude like this.
  25. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Lothiandon and NHRANUT, dynamite work on those two Fords! Quality is Job 1.

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Mike-model like this.
  26. GREAT WORK !

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and Mike-model like this.
  27. Mike-model

Mike-model

@NHRANUT , gorgeous model. Great attention to detail, plus it's such a rarity! Be proud, you did good.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Mike-model

Mike-model

Just a simple body. Woody Gilmore didn't even offer an up-swept cowl towards the windshield. All straight, so this really simplifies things immensely. Hammering those multiple bends is not easy to do, see my avatar photo. Still don't know how I got that one right. I was considering just a simple aluminum shell but I already have one of those on the shelf. So, the body will be painted....I'm thinking a nice candy blue.

Aluminum shell, no paint;
    -IMG_2916.jpg

-IMG_2946.jpg

Mike..

Sancho, deathrowdave, mchook and 11 others like this.