Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Number of Flatheads out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Desoto291Hemi, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Hi guys ,
    It amazes me at the number of these old engines that are still around and in service .
    I realize that Henry made millions of them,,,,,but there have been millions ,that have been destroyed or scrapped .
    And yet,,,I read of where many guys on here ,,at at the Barn,,,build hundreds of them a year in their shops .
    It seems impossible ,,,,just how many are left,,,,LoL.
    And I know there are thousands of them still sitting in derelict old cars,,,or sitting in barns,,,or even in fields,,,still waiting to be of service again .

And I’m not leaving out the bangers,,,,,piles of them around also.
    Maybe not as many as the V8s,,,but still many are left .

Also,,,there is a large demand for these cars,,and engines in Europe and everywhere else it seems .
    And technology has helped as well,,,,,many years ago what cracked and deemed junk,,,,,can be repaired today and run perfectly for years to come .

Anyway,,,,I just seem amazed that this is still available to carry on .
    Also ,all the other engines as well,,,,Y blocks,,,Cadillacs,,old Hemis,,,and many others I can’t list here .

And it seems the younger people are getting so much more interested in these engines and cars as well .
    It was probably always there,,,it just took Ryan being a catalyst ,,and creating a place that people can come together and see what others are doing .

I have a beautiful 8BA Merc that is still in the build stage,,,,I have a most of what I need to get it together up to the heads,,,,just still need pistons and boring work .
    It has been on hold for a while,,,,,life has gotten in my way for right now.
    I’m only 57,,,,as some would say on here,,,I’m just a kid,,,LoL..
    I hope to finish it maybe later this year,,,,if things work out .
    But,,,, no matter,,,,,if not ,,,it will go to someone that can use it .
    I am so proud of all the guys here,,,,,and they are also bringing in the younger guys as well.
    Fresh blood,,,,,that keeps everything going,,,,and it will be here long after we are gone .

Thank you guys for reading this,,,,,and like the song lyrics sing,,,,
    Life isn’t always beautiful,,,,,,but , it’s a beautiful ride !

Tommy

Petejoe, 41 GMC K-18, D type and 2 others like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I have 14 flatheads in various states of operation. One Y block, a 32 four, a T four, and a couple SBCs.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I started selling the T5 S10 trans to Flathead kit about 25 years ago and while a part of my sales have replaced by the Chinese kits I still average 1-2 kits a week.

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have three left; one in a running, driving car, another fresh rebuilt for a project in progress, and another good used one on a stand. I have sold off a couple over the last few years, mainly to guys that really needed them (one guy had dis-assembled 5 8BA's to find 5 cracked blocks).

In addition to the 331 in my race car, I have another hemi and a fresh 303 Rocket in stock in case I need them.

5. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I have a flathead powered Model A and a complete engine in the garage. Also have a stock Model A with a banger and a long block in the garage. I've owned 7 flathead powered cars and 2 banger powered Model A's, lot of fun but money pits for the power you get out of them, but I really like them!

6. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Saw this one yesterday at da salvage yard. Looks like 2 of the pistons might need to be broken out of it but she may live again some day? Fuel & water pump, starter were gone. Those would add up. Has the 322 bore. IMG_0324.JPG

7. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Love flatheads and have a bunch of them plus the sound of a flatty is pure music . I am even installing a flat head today its a 1953 Mercury image.jpg

8. dutchrod

dutchrod

i’m running one of your kits behind my french flathead for four years now, still love it !

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  9. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Now you know a guy that dis-assembled 6 flatheads, only to find 6 cracked blocks:mad:
    That's the reason I'm running a sbc. Flatheads are few and far between around these parts.

10. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have 6 V-8 flatheads, one six, 8 Y-blocks, 12 FEs 4, 460s, 4 , 289s(1 271 Hipo) 2 351s 1 400, 1 534, and probably a couple of others! Lol :D

Bones

GordonC and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  11. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

There is a lad near me with at least 50 flathead blocks and more crankshafts.

GordonC and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

here's mine in my 31 sedan.

Attached Files:

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You obviously don't know me.

But I think I have a pretty good idea of who you are.

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  14. rusty valley

rusty valley

you can never have too many, so just yesterday i bought a 36 LB motor at an estate sale for 50 bucks!! And, I gotta agree with @continentaljohn , the sweet music they make can not be replaced by any other

15. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

With all the interest I am surprised no one has cast one in aluminum....Easier to repair....

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

I never saw any flatheads because they were always behind my 302 GMC powered 37 Chevy pu..;):p

Hnstray, jimmy six, das858 and 2 others like this.
  17. People will rescue a flatty that would pass on a modern valve in head in the same condition. How often do you hear about someone finding a rusted and stuck or rusted and cylinder split '73 Olds 350. yes you hear of people finding scrapped flatheads and sleeveing and repairing them all the time.

Add to that aftermarket blocks that someone is dumb enough to invest 30K to build 325 HP and you actually have more flatties then were ever made. :D

The old V8 that could seems to be the engine that has been discarded, forgotten and made a comeback more then once.

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never say "never", but I don't think it will ever happen. How much better is a 325 lb. 175 HP flathead than a 525 lb. one? The casting of a flathead block vs a conventional OHV is much more complex. There is a guy with an excellent reputation for casting Model "A" stuff that is working on a cast iron version, but I am sorry to say that it will probably never happen because of economics. You've read this thread; when the current generation passes, good flathead blocks will be coming out of the woodwork. The big problem is to keep unknowing heirs and executors from scrapping them.

19. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I have one in my dragster. However it takes finding and checking 5 to find a uncracked one.

20. That would be the 30K gutless wonder of which I speak. LOL
    They are marketed by the a California flathead shop. I don't recall the name right now. But someone will know it.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dated a girl once with a flat head. Lovely, short statured woman with an odd sort of dental abnormality.
    I do own a flathead Ford currently, unlike the aforementioned female - Ford flatheads are forever!

22. Budget36

Budget36

Hopefully she was about 2.5 feet tall-of age- so you had a place to set ya beer on;)

Bandit Billy, jimmy six and GordonC like this.
  23. Ziggster

Ziggster

There are currently 4 flatheads listed for sale on Kijiji across Canada at the moment. This number is kinda typical at any given time. Concentration I would say is higher out west due to the fact the vehicles last way longer out there since they use less or no salt in the winter months.

24. Five V-8's, one in my '51, one in my '35 pickup, one on the stand and two in the garage. One banger in the Model A.

25. leon bee

leon bee

I'm waiting on my check, gonna buy pistons for my 3rd 8BA.

26. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Like I said before there’s more than one flathead. F09ED55B-A756-4EC0-AFEF-DCF6595DB822.jpeg 3D2E3695-AC52-4A87-B7BD-B5B69C917B88.jpeg My single seater has a 230 Dodge flathead six with an edmunds aluminum head.

27. Two flatheads disassembled, an 8BA that's had all the machine work done and the original 221 out of my '40. Plus speed equipment for each.
    And the 390 Cad that's in my '40 and the 331 Cad that will go back in the roadster someday...

28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

While we are on flatheads, does a Ford six cylinder Flathead have any value?I never see them mentioned much. I have one in a old piece of machinery I am thinking of scraping!

Bones

29. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I had a G six that I couldn't give away. Ended up scrapping it.

30. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Currently have 3 flathead V8s and one banger.
    2 of the flatheads were given to me, too cool!