Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Replace the oil gauge and run it.

2. spanners

spanners

Those numbers look good to me. A little bit of variation in the compression but that's still a fresh engine so rings probably haven't seated properly yet. Holden Greys are notorious for the back 2 cylinders getting hotter because of it being a dead end circulation wise. Harv on the Ozrodders site supplies modified head gaskets to overcome some of this but don't sweat it till you have to replace one for some reason.
    I searched for a while to find a gauge with smaller graduations and use a Pricol brand, a Smiths knock off. The gauge you've got looks the part and as my engine builder mate says, "As long as the tell tale light goes out, it's fine".

3. BS!

BS!

Yep I was pretty happy/relieved with the results considering the car is 4 1/8th mile passes old and everything is still bedding in.

My plan is to sort the alternator alignment issue out.
    Sort the leaking EWP out.
    Replace the oil pressure and temp guage with something a bit more accurate.
    Hit the track again and work on the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Knight Racing and Crosley like this.
  4. BS!

BS!

Hey Spanners,

Yeah I’m running one of Harvs head gaskets on this engine. I’m going to organise to borrow his tuning kit he has made up to complimen his “stromberg enthusiasts guide” he has written to muck around with the tune after I sort the alternator, gauges and EWP leak out.

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Best thing to remember is to never change more than one thing at a time when chasing tuning problems. Otherwise you don't know what change actually did the trick.

6. BS!

BS!

Sound advice

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  7. BS!

BS!

Been a bit quiet of late.

Settling into my new job and home life now I’m not working away and making up for the time spent apart from my wife and kids thanks to our separatist state leaders.. Anyway, politics aside….

I’ve got myself back into a rhythm and hopefully sorted a few of the teething issues I had from the first meeting in the car.

As mentioned previously it appears I got away with any serious damage and the things the let me down were things that I didn’t do how I originally wanted to do them due to time, budget or laziness on my behalf.

Despite my Davies Craig EWP being 2 months out of warranty those guys were awesome and sent me a replacement water pump in good faith.

With the new EWP in hand I also set out removing the original mechanical water pump. To achieve this it meant changing the plumbing up and making a water pump blanking plate (thanks spanners for sharing your setup and my mate Andy at fireball fabrications for tigging it all up for me).

Removing the mechanical water pump also then altered the location and alignment of my alternator. I was never happy with the original setup and the alignment I was able to achieve so I replaced the alternator while I was at it for a “red motor” internally regulated jobby which meant I then also had to alter my wiring and dash.

Once again with all the flow on of changing one thing and affecting four others while I was at the wiring I replaced the pretty Mooneyes gauges for some more race orientated (and accurate) auto meter gauges and associated lines for the oil pressure gauge. I loved the look of the mooneyes gauges but function over form ruled in this instance to protect my investment.

The last change I made was remounting the radiator fan onto a shroud a mate of mine from the FB EK Holden club folded up for me (thanks Paul). This is how I originally wanted to do it but took the lazy road of mounting the fan directly to the radiator. I knew this would cause dramas down the track so took the downtime and extra real estate gained from removing the mechanical water pump as a chance to do the shroud which is how I should have done it the first time… as with all previous changes this meant relocating and remounting the cooling system overflow and catch can for the engine.

All in all a few nights in the shed once the kids had gone to sleep and a weekends worth of work and it’s all buttoned back down ready to sort the tune. Hopefully these “improvements” help with the reliability.

Attached Files:

Crosley and 97 like this.
  8. 97

Really well built and presented. I wish there was as much thought and effort were put into some of the cars I tech ....

9. spanners

spanners

Very nicely done. You're making me feel like a slack arse wombat for not touching mine even though I've got the time.
    What was wrong with the Davies Craig water pump? Not pumping?

10. BS!

BS!

It had developed a substantial leak despite being 4 1/8 mile runs old plus a bit of running in. Like I mentioned of course this happened 2 months out of the 2 year warranty period but they were great to deal with.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  11. BS!

BS!

So I finally got back out into the shed.
    I’ve been doing a bit of research on my carb setup. A massive thanks to Harv for his extremely well written “stromberg enthusiast guide” and loan of his “tuning kit”. Upon pulling everything apart and checking the jetting it appears that from my research the main jets and power bypass valves that were in my carbies were way too big. Thankfully 97 stromberg carb jets and power valves fit into our Aussie B series carbies so there are a multitude of jets and power valves readily available. I replaced all carby jets and power valves with sizes that should give me a good baseline, threw a set of fresh plugs in with a slightly tighter gap setting, reset all my timing and ran the car up for the first time since I’ve made all the changes. Oil pressure and water temps are a lot more accurate with the new gauges, alternator is charging and everything appears to be well sorted so hopefully the car is a bit more reliable now and I can try get it onto a dyno to work through the tune issues I’m having. The nostalgias are coming up in October (covid pending) so fingers crossed to have it sorted by then and can hit the track.

Attached Files:

12. 97

There is an engineering shop in Melbourne that makes all the replacement hard parts for Aussie Stromberg (Bendix ) carbs. Including power valves and jets , but also throttle plates and shafts, pump links, springs and pump plungers etc etc. Even the correct screws and linkages. I have been there, but cannot recall their name ...I am sure I have a business card somewhere. Will search and report back.

13. BS!

BS!

That will be helpful cheers

14. BS!

BS!

Wow. What a weekend at the nostalgia drags. This event is what inspired me to build my own car after coming as a spectator years ago. My goal of building a car to run at this event is now complete and I can’t wait to get back to the track and continue to make progress with it. Friday night I started the weekend getting myself and the car through licensing. My first full track pass was a nervous 18.6 @ 72.6mph. By the end of the weekend the car ran a 16.1 @ 85.6mph. There is still so much more left in the tune up and driver skills department but I have no doubt I’ll continue to progress this car to run a decent number for the ha/gr class and build on my consistency as a driver. I could not have got to this point without the support of my family Lacey Langford who allow me to spend time and money on this hobby, all the other boys in the class Jeff Danglmaier Stephen Danglmaier Brian Handke who are always full of advice and encouragement and my mates Dean South Greg Thornton Andrew Schmidt and Danial Lucas who came out to give me a hand. You are all bloody legends and I can’t wait to get back to the track to do it all again.

Finally to round the weekend off I had a solid debrief with Peter aka “spanners” talking all things grey motor powered hambster. I really do appreciate the people in this class who are so welcoming and encouraging for an upstart like myself

Attached Files:

Crosley and 97 like this.
  15. spanners

spanners

Very nice race report. We're not a bad bunch of reprobates at heart. Happy to be of help.
    How did you like running under lights? Bit dark down the braking area at Willowbank.
    Just a thought. Now that you've got a few runs under you belt probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression test now that things have settled in.
    Tell Brian to get on here and give his thoughts on the day, happy to hear from him.
    Just had word that Gunnedah is on for end of October. I'll have to dust the old girl off and do some driveway testing.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  16. 97

Looking great, a credit to your perseverance. In the deep end, .... night drags first time out! Sounds like you are doing great, it's not often in drag racing where you can improve your PB by 2 seconds ! with the same car! :D

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Looks like fun.
    Nice car.
    I would add a small LED headlight - not so much to see but for the fans to see you coming in the dark. It is surprising that they often do not hear you but with all the other ambient noise they don't. Add a small motorcycle horn too.
    My cars get a horn and lights.

18. spanners

spanners

I put 2 LEDs on mine after I nearly got pissbowled by a tow car at Sydney drags at night. As far as hearing me coming I give it a bit of a rev if the pedestrians aren't paying attention.

19. BS!

BS!

Thanks guys.

Yes I had to do my licensing runs Friday night at the test and tune was was straight into the night racing. Willowbank deep end is very dark as you say and the return road is even worse and has potholes and bumps all over it which you can’t see until you’re in them which is not much fun in a car with a solid rear end.

As mentioned the car still has a heap of work to do on the tune and my driving also has a lot to improve on so there is still a fair bit left in it I reckon.

The main thing was apart from the tune up the car was running flawlessly, strong oil pressure all weekend, didn’t get hot despite the 32+ degree temps (Celsius), nothing leaked nothing broke so overall I am calling the weekend a success and can’t wait to get to the track and keep chipping away at it

20. BS!

BS!

I also took my go pro with every intention of filming the runs but I just had too much going on and people coming up to talk to me about the car so I never actually fastened it to the cage to take any footage. Moving forward I’ll be sure to get some footage and make the time to set it up.

Anyway my “crew” took some phone footage of one of the runs. Hopefully I have upload it ok? Sorry about the crappy quality.

21. spanners

spanners

Engine sounds good but as you say, a bit fat. Don't be afraid to wind it up in the water box (within reason of course) to clear the plugs of soot from idling and chugging around the pits. Otherwise it doesn't seem to get away too badly.
    What are the specs on Brian's Ford? It sounds aggressive and as you say he's not afraid to get up it. Fairly close ratio 'box in as well by the sound.

22. BS!

BS!

Good advice clearing it out in the burnout. When youre there doing it I guess it feels like you are giving it a thrashing but in reality I can stay in it a bit longer for sure looking at the footage. I have no idea on the specs on Brian’s car but he gives the thing an absolute hiding and launches and shifts it at 7k… yikes it hammers though. I think it runs a 3 speed econoline box?

23. BS!

BS!

Some coverage from the weekend from the guys at Overtaking Lane. Gee she still looks a bit fat out the pipe which I think is to be expected with the jetting and power valves in it.

Anyway give their channel a like and a subscribe while you are there. These guys do an awesome job and put a heap of effort in covering all aspects of the local south east Queensland car scene.

Crosley likes this.
  24. spanners

spanners

Those blokes certainly do a cool video. Some of the competitors they interview need to up their game . Especially the one that keeps getting singled out. :D

Crosley likes this.
  25. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

facebook_1639042526990_6874642627126785684.jpg received_965253424059105 (5).jpeg View attachment 5252698 View attachment 5252698 View attachment 5252697
    The day was awesome. Had a great day. big learning curve.
    When Brendon get the bugs out, The Grey Ghost will scream.
    Steve and Jeff have been great help along the way for both Brendon and myself.
    To finally run against them was great.
    Their experience proved the greater on the day.
    yes the return road at night is a bit interesting.
    Potholes in the dark with solid rear end, not enjoyable.
    Have been meaning to post a build thread on the car, Will try soon.
    Look forward to racing more Hambsters next year.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    Crosley likes this.
  26. spanners

spanners

Nice to hear from you Brian. Yes, it'll be good to get everyone together once these border closures are done. Have you heard how entries for Coolralbyn are going? I'd still like to get up for the weekend of racing.
    As for the return road at Willowbank I installed 2 small L.E.D 12 volt work lights on the front for spotting the potholes.

Crosley likes this.
  27. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Carralbyn has become that big that the capped entries are fill within 3 weeks.
    As is drag racing, You snooze, you lose.
    I put my entry in two days after they released them and I am number 49.
    Capped at one hundred.
    As for Willowbanks return road, I sit on a cushion, NOT fire proof (SHHHHHHH)
    Nostalgias at Willow bank next year is 13th August, Good if we can get the numbers.
    At Cottondale, near Stanthorpe, Pete's Rod Shop runs the Dirt drags, which I went to this year.
    Running it again second weekend in February again.
    Fitted some offroad tyres to the Hambster and had fun.
    Even got interview by Street Machine Mag with pictures,

Crosley likes this.
  28. spanners

spanners

I've hung off entering Carralbyn because of the border problems. One day I'll get there.
    As for the Nostalgias I'll be pencilling that one in. The dirt drags sound appealing but I've got Gunnedah in March and a car club is starting 1/8th mile at West Wyalong which is only an hours drive away, in April.

Fingers and Crosley like this.
  29. BS!

BS!

what dates are they running gunnedah next year? Would love to get down there for a run and see some family at the same time

30. spanners

spanners

At this stage 19/20 March (they call it speedweek- drags during the days, speedway of an evening), 14/15 May, 6/7 August, 29/30 October. Hope that helps.