Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Chevy Engine Numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, May 23, 2007.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Look at your 216, see how the side cover goes up to the top, at the valve cover? and the 235 stops at the bottom of the head? that's a sure fire way to tell them apart.

270dodge likes this.
  2. Salvarican

Salvarican

Ok cool, thanks for the info

3. OldBue66

OldBue66

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've recently bought a 66 GMC pickup truck and was told this is the original 250 motor. I was a bit curious and crawled underneath to check the casting. I can't seem to match anything up tho. "Hecho en Mexico" - is this simply a replacement motor?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

4. squirrel

squirrel

Most of the newer replacement engines were made in Mexico, starting....when? in the 80s?

270dodge and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  5. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Sounds like 882 heads around 76+ cc open chamber heads. Do they look like the pics below? My set is off a 1974 C10 350 ci. it had the 4VR dish pistons at 8:5.1 CR with the steel shim head gasket. The 882 heads I have are the better Heavy casting smog heads... With stock 4VR Flat top pistons and STD 4" bore and .015 steel shim head gasket and the 882 76 cc heads the CR will be 9:0.0... Squirrel if it is a "Corvette Engine" would that still be the LT1 in 1972? and did not most those LT1's have flat tops starting around 1971-72 and up around 1973-74 is when they "may have started the dish 4VR pistons"? Just more questions needing your Chevy engine IQ input Squirrel.
    Thank You for your help again Squirrel.

1Nimrod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  6. Alberta Andy

Alberta Andy

After reading through all the replies here helping guys id their engines I'm hoping I can get some for myself. I have a 1949 Chev truck with a 235 in it - I'm trying to rebuild the engine but having a hard time nailing down the exact engine I have since I know it's not original to this truck. It's a 235 with the 848 head on it, has hydraulic lifters, and as long as I've had it there's been a 4 speed manual in it. There is no engine date code on the lower rear right block, the block casting number is 3837004 (which I think tells me it's a 1955-57), and the engine code stamped behind the distributor is C270610... and that's what's got me stumped. I'm struggling to order parts for it since there's several options available for that year range and if it came with a manual or powerglide transmission. Any help on the code would be very appreciated - could the C indicate a Canadian made engine, or a crate/counter replacement? Thanks

loudbang likes this.
  7. Maybe this link will help you. If you can find the serial numbers for the engine, which should be on a pad below the distributor, this would be really helpful. The suffixes on the serial number will indicate how the engine was configured.
    http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/models/engine.htm

The casting date on the block would help identify when the block was cast. The engine normally meets the car on the production line about 90 days after the casting date.
    http://devestechnet.com/Home/CastingNumbers

Bob

loudbang likes this.
  8. Alberta Andy

Alberta Andy

Thanks for the fast response Bob. I've spent quite a bit of time looking online, and I had found your suggested sites as well - that's why I'm stumped, because they don't correspond to anything I've come across so far. The serial number on the pad is the C270610 I mentioned, and it just doesn't make any sense. And the block doesn't have the CONXXX and date code on it, so the closest I can come to is the main casting number of 3837004 which gives me a range but not a specific year. I'd be leaning toward it being a replacement engine, however the engine shop I'm dealing with has another 235 there right now that's supposedly the original from another guy's 59' truck and the serial number on it is C414477, and also has no date code on it. Did they stamp Canadian made engines with a C? I appreciate the resource suggestions for sure

loudbang likes this.
  9. I just happened to be checking the forum. My understanding of the serial numbers starting with C, is that they are warranty replacement blocks. I am guessing it would only have been a short block, but I am not certain of that.
    I have a block with a serial number starting with C, and I know it was a warranty replacement block. I can't confirm this, but a lot of Chevy engine blocks cast in Canada, were cast by McKinnon industries, and this is identified by K in the serial number.
    Here is another site that will be helpful.
    http://1954advance-design.com/Stovebolt-engine/casting-numbers.html

loudbang likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

Where are you? There's a way to put your location in your profile, so we could tell. If you're in Canada, or up north, then it could be a Canadian engine. The stamped numbers on US built engines don't look like that,

11. Jim, I am guessing by his handle, that he is from Alberta, Canada. During that period, we would see some vehicles with a Canadian built engine, but that was not true of all models. For instance, my Cameo was built in Flint. I pulled the original engine in 1968, when I did the first swap, so any information I could have gathered from the block is long gone. I have another 235 out of a 55 pickup, and I will have a look to see how it is stamped tomorrow.
    Bob

loudbang likes this.
  12. Alberta Andy

Alberta Andy

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't see where to put my location into my profile - but I am in central Alberta, Canada.

loudbang likes this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

my guess is you won't find any useful info about the engine from the numbers...you'll have to look at the parts on it, to figure out what parts you need.

14. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@squirrel , Jim,and all you numbers gurus, I need you help here to verify this please , I just found what I think is a July 5th 1956 cast , 3969925 block 261 in our local classifieds. It´s listed as a 50s 235, but the captain´s bars rang a bell. Condition is unkown and he is asking 300€ for it, but these 261s are the needle in the haystack if you have to look for one over here. I tempted to go an get it... if it really is a 261. Thanks in advance!!!

$_59.JPG $_60.jpg $_61.jpg $_62.jpg

15. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, that is indeed a 1956 261. Might also ask to see the stamped number on top of the distributor pad, just above where it says GM.

might also see if it's cracked above the forward freeze plug, there's a strange line in the casting there....and that is the area where they crack if left in the cold with water inside. I have only owned one 261, it was a freebie, because the crack there was pretty serious.

Baumi likes this.
  16. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you, Jim. I was wondering about that irregularity above the freeze plug also... He ( the seller) is or acts clueless and says he has never run this engine and knows nothing about it. I´ll just go there tomorrow , give it a closer look and see what happens. Thanks for your help! If it turns out to be good you will probably read about it in my truck build thread, along with a ton of other questions:D

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  17. Alberta Andy

Alberta Andy

Thank-you for your input Jim. Due to my location parts are not commonplace, with that in mind I'm just trying to make sure I have a pretty good idea what I've got before I put an order in that will cost significant freight. If the C does mean its a Canadian engine it seems odd to me that of the presumably 10's of thousands of engines they produced there wouldn't be a bit more of understanding of what the serial number system they used was, or at the very least the understanding that the C definitely stands for that. I believe that what I have is a 235 that was built in either 56' of 57' and was originally coupled with a Powerglide in a passenger car. My logic is based on the block casting number of 3837004 which apparently means it was built between 55-57, and the fact that it has hydraulic lifters during that era means it would have been a car engine with a PG, and in 56 they went to a different main bearing (went to a shell with a locating tang rather than a dowel) - since mine has the locating tang that's what's got me thinking it has to be a 56/57 engine. If anyone can point out any holes in my theory please do.

18. squirrel

squirrel

Unfortunately Arizona is a long way from Canada, not much info about them makes it down this far south.

As long as you can identify the differences, then you should be able to deal with getting parts, etc. It looks like you're getting a pretty good handle on it.

19. oldshadetrEE

oldshadetrEE

I'm looking for a code listing that is supposed to be a mid 60's I6 292. It's F1209UF. I know the first five are Flint, December 9, but the UF has not been seen in any online listings. Help?

20. squirrel

squirrel

UF is a 65-67 60 series truck engine, no wonder you didn't find the listing...most stuff on line does not cover the bigger trucks.

21. oldshadetrEE

oldshadetrEE

Thank you so much!

22. oldshadetrEE

oldshadetrEE

Next question, the guy who has this wants $550 for the engine and $250 for the tranny with a PTO. He says the engine can be turned over but I doubt I could start it to confirm operation. Is the price fair & reasonable? Also, does the 292 in a 60 series truck have any different block/rods/pistons from other 292 engines in smaller trucks?

23. squirrel

squirrel

sounds kind of expensive for an engine core that you know nothing about. If it were drivable, and it was in good condition, it might be worth somewhere close to that. But that might also depend where you are, and I have no idea where you are, since you didn't put your location in your profile.

Nothing special about a 60 series engine, same parts in it as a half ton.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. oldshadetrEE

oldshadetrEE

Sorry about not completing my profile. Location updated, Rockwall, TX.

25. @George

@George

@squirrel I have a 1952 Chevrolet Pickup with engine F1013D. I'm looking for a code listing to identify the engine and what vehicle it came off. I know the first five are Flint and the date, but I am having issues finding anything for the D. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

26. Early '60's 283 mostly 170hp with a powerglide trans.
    First Gen Camero web site

Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
  27. @George

@George

Thank you @bjinx!! Appreciate the help.

28. squirrel

squirrel

D is 1958-64 2bbl powerglide 283. If you want to know the year of the engine, find the casting date code on the back of the block.

29. @George

@George

Thank you @squirrel I will take a look. Appreciate your response!