Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods HAIRPINS!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Mar 10, 2021.

1. So today I got these hair pins in the mail (along with the bat wings and this bulldog mount). I have kind of had a thing for hairpins since I was a little kid. We don't seem to use 'em much here on the HAMB but they are a definite part of our history.

lets see what ya got. Pics on cars or hangin on your shop wall or?????

[​IMG]

These are a little gritty and raw, my kind of parts. I think they were made by a fellow HAMBer at some point.

bones.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

3. chop&drop

chop&drop

Mine. Both SoCal. BF94CE6A-84DE-45A9-9ED4-4FE0F54DE142.jpeg EF65F79D-570E-4777-ACF4-E744D7EA011A.jpeg

4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used 100's of pairs of hairpins on the customer chassis I build. Mostly from P&J with a few stainless sets from So-Cal. I currently have several chassis on the board to do and all but one have hairpins with one set of split bones. I like hairpins because of the look and also being able to run stock early spindles without modifying the steering arms. I haven't done a 4 bar in 7-8 years but do several chassis a year with bones. Hairpins have been around for a lot of years.

5. been around since the '50s that I have personal knowledge of (I really don't remember much before about '58 or '59).
    They are a good way to locate an axle even have a little adjustment (if only a degree or so).

dana barlow and Atwater Mike like this.
  6. Roothawg

Roothawg

I make my own. Easy enough to do. The hardest part is tapping the tubing.

AHotRod and dana barlow like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One-off hairpins made using aero tubing for bridge material, same as my rear ladder bars.
    DSCN1626.JPG Nickel Plating.jpg

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've built and used 'em since '56, (used to gas weld 'em, never had any complaints or critique')
    I used to cut and fab the 'Batwings' from 1/2" plate, then ream the holes 7* for Ford tie rod ends, and countersink the holes for the hanger bolts, all early Ford hardware.
    Then around '68 I changed to 3/8" plate for batwings, and used clevises up front. (always for the adjustment of caster!)
    I'd notice other guys with the adjuster 'way out on the lower ones, hairpins' legs same length??? (did 'one size fit all'???)
    Not mine...I'd set chassis and axle up at ride height, select lengths so both adjusting clevises had somewhat near same number of threads left...
    My chassis jig was set up for 'A' rails and '32, so in the initial setup stage, the frame rails went on upside down. One main leaf and the axle, jig the caster angle, THEN tack the chrome moly for hairpins.
    Split bones also set upside down.

Lovely running gear jewelry, @DDDenny...

9. I have made a bunch of bat wings from 3/8" plate and radius rod yolks over the years. Seems like radius rod yolks are like 283 chebbies. I have normally had some laying around. :D

Tim and dana barlow like this.
  10. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

^^^ @denis4x4... That's the style...Mmmm!

dana barlow likes this.
  12. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Back in the 70s there was a theory going around that hairpins and tube axles was not a good combination. I believe it was started by a company that manufactured 4 link front suspensions.

Dean Lowe and dana barlow like this.
  13. Beano, your picture didn't show up.

Alex is putting together a gasser inspired Deuce and using hairpins. HRP

[​IMG]

Desoto291Hemi and dana barlow like this.
  14. Jimmy's Deuce has them, this car has been on the road for about 15 years. HRP

[​IMG]

KoolKat-57 and dana barlow like this.
  15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To me, "split bones" say basic Hot Rod. "Hairpins" say advanced Hot Rod. "Four bars" say street rod.

16. 38174816822_2bedcef74d_k.jpg

My hairpins are peaking out on my 33 pickup, I prefer hairpins as a good in-between split bones and a 4 bar.

rc57, KoolKat-57, LOST ANGEL and 7 others like this.
  17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Helping my Son ,build his 23 "T" "Pandora",we had 2 pair of used Hairpins in the shop,nether were the right sizes.
    He saw the cost of new,an asked if I could make them the right size?
    Sure chop chop,weld weld an prestO.
    Even added a step for good, in n out.
    ShowCoolingIt.jpg

18. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Hot rod wishbone.png If you want to be like almost everyone else and look cool sitting around the drive-in, use some sort of frame attached radius rods.

If you want a good comfortable ride with excellent handling, keep a stock wishbone type configuration.

You won’t read much about stock type wishbones on street hot rods. That is because split radius rods originated and were a necessary item on CIRCLE TRACK race cars. They evolved to street rods because someone converted a track roadster to the street and someone else thought it looked cool.

Texas Webb and warbird1 like this.
  19. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

The "Whatever" has hairpins 1 on the front one on the rear. The trick to making them, from my experience, is to lay out where the curve will be, then cut the tubing slightly long and chuck it in a lathe with a big enough thru hole to drill and tap for the clevis or rod end. Carefully bend the tube, it should end up very close to the correct length, but if you make an error, make it slightly long as you can cut the tube to the correct length after they are welded up.

I made a fixture out of mdf to hold the pieces for welding, and did the welds in the exact same order on both. Here's the result IMG_0175.JPG I was going to use both on the front but then came across this car: THF91311.jpg It's a Bobby Unser Pikes Peak Multi-time winner from the late 50s into the 80s. What you don't see in this picture is the left side. It has hairpins on front and back on the left and single rods on the right, which takes the bind out, and makes for a lighter, simpler suspension. Check out the rest of the car by googling it at the Henry Ford Museum.

Fortunately I tend to over build stuff, so 1 per axle will take the torque and brake forces. Made mine from very heavy wall DOM, and still need to add braces midspan on both.

rpm56 and thintin like this.
  20. Let me see if I can fix that. But just in case try this here.

bones.jpg

21. Here's my hairpins.
    tapatalk_1605453413350.jpeg

KoolKat-57 and j3harleys like this.
  22. I don't see anything wrong with them, they are more old school than the ones shown but they should work just fine. HRP

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Do these classify as hair pins? F120317B-C49B-420A-AFB3-EA040A9741C8.jpeg

25. AHotRod

AHotRod

I made my hair pins and front axle and related pieces, and chassis.

C1.jpeg

C2.jpeg

C3.jpeg

26. wackdaddy

wackdaddy

27. fleetside66

fleetside66

28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

29. My hairpins peeking out under the fenders. CF966621-FF3B-4DCC-9D39-CCDB9F4F67F5_1_201_a.jpeg