Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53-54 Chevy Steering column question

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RMONTY, Mar 10, 2021.

1. RMONTY

RMONTY

I have been searching and looking to find whatever it is called that goes on the top of the steering column, directly under the steering wheel on the steering column for a 1953/54 Chevrolet car. I have the column, but I believe there is a "bell", for lack of a better term, that mounts to the column directly under the steering wheel. Does anyone know what this would be called, and more importantly, where can a guy find one without having to buy the entire column?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Do you mean the turn signal switch housing? If so, look for a turn signal switch housing.

Or do you mean the dummy bell that was used when turn signals were not installed? it screws to the steering wheel, they're pretty common on 54-59 trucks, as fewer of them got turn signals. I have a couple of these.

or it could be something else..find a picture of the interior of one of the cars, and paint an arrow on the picture pointing at what you are talking about, and post it here

RMONTY likes this.
  3. National chevy. They are not new (no reproductions available) but, we have used. They will need to be painted to match yours, & probably new turn signal switch/wiring (we sell that new) 651 778 9522 jeff

RMONTY likes this.
  4. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks squirrel, I will check into that. I hadn't considered that the "dummy bell" would just mount to the steering wheel. Taking a look at the 53 steering wheel I purchased recently, I would like to see how that "dummy bell" mounts.

I guess it would be nice to have a stock looking turn signal setup. A quick search showed a lot for trucks, but not so much for cars, but I will keep searching.

5. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks Jeff, I will be in touch!

6. squirrel

squirrel

the 53-54 car switch assembly is the same as the 54-56 truck assembly. The 57-59 truck is different, the lever angles "up" because of the deep dish steering wheel on those trucks.

If you have turn signals, the canceling "cam" mounts to the wheel with the same two screws that would otherwise hold the dummy bell to the wheel.

RMONTY likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

8. RMONTY

RMONTY

Thanks again squirrel and abonecollector! The fast answers from the H.A.M.B. rock!

9. RMONTY

RMONTY

I have a solution already....thanks abonecollector and thanks to the H.A.M.B! And thanks to squirrel for the information as well!