Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM 4 speed adapted to 8BA

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 343w, Mar 6, 2021.

1. 343w

343w

Any information for this install would be much appreciated. What starter is used with the combo as well.

2. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used an offenhauser aluminum adapter between the stock Ford 8BA bell housing, (the one piece bell housing) and the GM saginaw transmission. I think that was it. Bolted right up. I could be wrong, but its never happened before. Twas a long time ago.

3. 343w

343w

Do you remember what clutch disc and release bearing, and pilot bushing was used?

4. A side note is if you use a Ford top loader you can use an 8ba bellhousing if you want a clutch arm or a 1951 Merc bellhosuing if you want the clutch shaft. If your going to use a GM then you will need an adapter.

5. Should use the same adapter parts as putting an early S-10 T-5 I think? The S-10 version that has the std GM mounting pattern. Only thing I am not sure is the input shaft length.

big duece likes this.
  6. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I think I have one of those Offy adapter plates but I don't have any of the pieces that go with it. There are some special taper head bolts and a special pilot bushing. You use a Ford pressure plate and a GM disc.

7. getow

getow

I would think that starter would match flywheel. Are you using an 8ba flywheel? If so, use that starter.

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

The guy that bought my avatar Morris Minor is using a Flathead with a Muncie .
    Let me ask him what bellhousing and starter combo he is using . I know he is using a Ramm clutch.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scroll to page 43. It shows both the adapter to bolt a Chevy trans to a 49 or later Ford car bellhousing or the one beside it to use with the early block or the truck/Mercury adapter ring. Offenhauser-Catalog-1987.pdf

Clutch you use the disk that matches the trans, Pilot bushing that matches the two and probably and adapter sleeve on the bearing retainer to fit the Ford throw out bearing.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. brading

brading

Thats always handy when someone has got an old catalog you can least see a picture of the item of what you are looking for even if the company no longer is producing them. That way when someone says they have got one to sell at least you have an idea if it is the correct part.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Flathead starters 32-51 and 52-53 manual trans all fit.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is Offenhauser's still in use catalog on their website. They are still making most of those pieces with the original molds and original machines they used years ago. I follow them on FB an they are always posting "Look what we made today or this week photos.

13. brading

brading

Thanks for that info " Mr48chev " thats handy to know.

14. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

I used the Speedway adapter, stock flywheel drilled for a Fox body Mustang pressure plate, S10 clutch disc, stock starter. Then I built solid linkage to the clutch pedal. S10 T5, 4 cylinder RWD version. Stock clutch arm and bearing, new pivot rod.