Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Loos'en the inspiration.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Mar 8, 2021.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

The 34 has sat out in the shop all winter while I just do not have, (any more), the drive to go finish gett'n it completely back together. Not that much to do really and if I were my normal self, a few hrs. work and it would be drivable once again. The drive I had has completely left me, and while I want it streetable, I just really don't care if it ever is again in my life time.
    Why is that?, ya say. Well health, tired and afraid of the way it has been mechanically the past couple of years and the strife it causes with my dementia inflicted wife's mindset towards it and me spending time on it.
    The health thing is really dragging me down. Hands constantly in pain when working even the slightest task, back is ...............................oh well forget this part, it sounds just stupid to go into and it makes me sound like a ??????????
    The strokes messing with my head are the most concerning and cause me deep concern about my sanity.
    Then there is the issue with the dementia, the Covid and that shit.
    I actually feel tired, want to sleep a lot and let this ol' world just slip on by. Doubt I.ll be say'n much after this post. Been nice most the time.
    Out. :)

2. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I feel ya. I haven't done much car stuff the past few years. Doubt I'll ever 'finish' my Shoebox. I have, on the other hand, spent a ton of time with my wife and kids. I get outside just to be out whenever I can. The car stuff was really starting to stress me out. I still enjoy it...but have let it slide for a while.
    Anyways, take care of yourself and your wife. Having gone through dimenttia with my dad, I know it's not fun or easy.

VANDENPLAS, bchctybob and Stogy like this.
  3. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

I am not as old as you (I think) but I have seen people wither away by doing nothing. Make sure you stay engaged in something.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Find a younger person that wants to learn. Younger doesn’t just mean a 15 yo, could be a 30 yo. Sit in the shop/ garage and mentor them on what to do and how to do it correctly.

By a pizza and soda, kick them a few bucks when done each day.
    Win-win.

5. Not having a drivable car is what stresses me out. This was the first winter in a long time where I didn't have my car up on jack stands getting some major work done. I must say that I enjoy being able to take it out on warm days. Maybe you could get a buddy to help you put it back together. At least you could drive it when you're up to it...

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I empathize with you Larry. After 50plus years of building everything from cars to furniture with one arm I’m just plain worn out. Been in treatment for cancer going on 6 yrs. and just had a kidney removed last year. My 57 is the last thing I’m ever going to build, it doesn’t need much to finish just to get it moving down the road. I don’t want to leave my family with a project when I’m gone. Just keep thinking those good thoughts.

Pat

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Larry, We are talking a 34 here...
    Reflect as best ya can on the Good time's,
    Don't give up on that 34, One lil thing a day, Spring will be here Soon!
    Keep on- Keep'n on Brother.

8. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Larry, don't despair...there's a lot of us feeling that way to some degree or another. I'm a bit younger than you, and finding my "motivation" slowly fading...some of it due to health issues too.:(
    I suggest you find a friend, or someone local, to put the '34 back together for you. That way it's useable...and if you ever decide to sell it, it's "test drivable"
    Finally, don't leave the HAMB! This is a forum of mostly us old guys...think of it as "group therapy"...or better yet, your support group:D

9. If your finances allow, find someone to finish it for you. Go to a local car show or cruise night and ask around. When you show the right guy pictures of your car he will be all over it. look for a hobbiest not a shop.

10. I think we are all a little burnt out from this past year. You definitely had it tougher than me though. Hang in there and get some help if you can. I’m on the other side of the country so I can’t offer any help rebuilding but I do wish you the best and hope things get a little better.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Hang in there Larry, keep a positive outlook. It's just the winter funk. When the sun finely comes back and hits some of that chrome, it'll give you a whole new way of looking at the day:)

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes as others have said this time of year is rough on most everyone...then you add all the personal dynamics and the chaos of the Country...Kaboom...

@KJSR I believe had the best medicine...get out in that Mancave through that invisible wall and get the beast in order followed by a drive for a spiritual lift...I should do the same but there's still a foot of snow on the ground...but spring is fast arriving and Larry get that prick in the arm...to spare further potential disaster that one in your shoes does not need...

13. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

Well this thread is a bit of a downer... Hey guys, go find a neighbor to take a for a ride!
    I remember a couple of guys on the patio of an old folks home one day.
    I'm stopped at the light & they are giving me the thumbs up.
    Light changes & I give'er. The applause made us all feel good.
    ;)

14. Got the same low spirit, especially with home projects waiting now that it is warmer.
    But you know what?
    I've made up my mind that at 74 I am just slowing down, not giving up!
    I'm breaking the home jobs down in to small easier tasks.
    And the same for my 41 pickup project. The reward, maybe small, is accomplishing SOMETHING, if just a brainstorming session.
    I understand you have more pressing issues with your wife's health and that comes first. BUT, if you get any alone time then use that for some therapeutic car time.
    Keep us posted!
    Any HAMBers close enough to help?

15. Don't make any hasty decisions, health problem and age can contribute to loss of interest, this pandemic and bad weather also contribute to the frustration.

If you still enjoy hot rods and there is not that much to do to get the car back on the road and you just can't do the work any longer, hire it out there is no shame in getting help when you need it.

Even if you have lost interest and are thinking about sending the car down the road, if it's drive-able it will bring more. HRP

16. I feel ya too. I keep wondering if I am suffering from burn out or just old age. Every time I start something I end up saying screw it, I'm tired, I will finish it later. And later gets put off.
    So hang in there. This too shall pass. Hey, you have the rest of your life to finish that car, why the hurry?

17. Keep fightin' to hang onto the things you care about. Like your '34.

VANDENPLAS, Stogy and hotrodjack33 like this.
  18. 34Larry

34Larry

All posts are inspiring and I truly appreciate the support, thank you.

19. Robins were spotted here last Thursday. Buzzards here today circling. Flowers are poking through the ground that was frozen just a few weeks ago. Winter funk is on the way out along with 2020 and rebirth is on the way. Look forward man, not back. Never regret but always look at the horizon.

20. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Work when your inspired and relax when your not! It's not like any of us have been through a pandemic before! We need to remember to cut ourselves a little slack! Our cars are our hobby and meant to be enjoyed but real life can be a bear sometimes. Hang in there!

VANDENPLAS, Tim, F-ONE and 5 others like this.
  21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Larry its not easy for any of us that are year challenged! I am 72 and my hands got a big dose of rheumatoid arthritis last summer, been a toolmaker all my life and could just about hold a steering wheel. I got arthritis everywhere, stents, clogs, hernia patch, yuro lift, and sinus crap. Its ok to be tired. Relax, sit in a chair in the sun and soak up some vitamin D!

"" Our cars are our hobby and meant to be enjoyed but real life can be a bear sometimes""

Never give up.

22. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

23. brando1956

brando1956

Hang in there Larry, there are a bunch of us out here just like you. We keep on keepin' on because we have to. I've always been a guy who could get things done but that has started to get hard at 65. Did 3 days in hospital last week, weak as hell. Got up this AM and there's a dead deer in the yard 10 feet from the garage. Looked likes coyotes worked her over. Explainer: I live in the woods and the deer have found our bird feeders irresistible. It's gonna be in the high 50's the next few days and I sure don't want to smell that.

No way I'm gonna throw a rope on this 150# doe (matches my weight) and drag her fat ass out into the woods so the coyotes can finish what they started. That ship sailed a few years ago. I hook onto said deer with my electric golf cart equipped with ATV tires and was pulling it fine until I hit the 8-10" of soft slushy snow with ice underneath. Went in the pole barn and started the loader tractor that has sat for 4 months. Two tries and it ran but then I had to put the chains on. Picked up the deer with the loader and made some progress, got far enough out of the yard before I spun out in the deep snow, dropped the carcass, and backed out of there before I had a stuck tractor. Enough problems for one day.

My point after this long-winded bullshit; I was kinda tired when I got done, but feel a hell of a lot better after getting out and blowing the stink off. I could give you all kind of platitudes but best I can say is do what I do and get out whenever you can, even if you don't feel much like it.

24. bchctybob

bchctybob

Larry, I sure understand how you're feeling. You are a little older that I am but as we age, it's surprising how quickly things can change. Our energy level, physical capabilities and our state of mind seem to vary from day to day but I've been learning not to beat myself up over it, just do what feels right each day, including an hour or so in the shop, time reading (or HAMB surfing), or go to the store for some silly thing just to get out. Moving around seems to be a key instead of parking myself in my favorite chair. Some days I feel like a rompin' stompin' thirty something and other days I feel timid, small and just plain old. I'm finding out a lot of folks feel the same way as they get older, they just don't let on. As others have said, this time of year also has an ill effect on our mental attitude and this virus has made it even worse than usual. It'll be spring soon with better weather and more stuff going on.
    There seems to be a lot of HAMBers up in your neck of the woods, here's hoping some will PM you and offer to get together to help get the coupe back on the road. And once it's back together, even if you don't feel like driving it, it's there to enjoy whenever you feel like it, even if that means just sittin' in the shop chair and admiring it!
    You know we're all pullin' for ya. Hang in there.

25. wicarnut

wicarnut

Take a step back and regroup, talk it over with wife, hire somebody to put car back together so you can drive it. Never give up, the big problems today will be smaller problems tomorrow. Again NEVER Give up, Good Luck, Speedy Recovery, One Day at a time.

26. It comes and it goes. In the middle of my 7th decade, I'm waiting for it to come back myself.

27. TERPU

TERPU

This may offend some of you guys, but here goes.

What the Fuck! Just the fact that you are writing this means you still have a desire to be driving around in your Coupe again.

Get out in the Garage and get after it. Sittin' and thinking about shit only drags you into a dark place. Didn't your Grandma ever tell you "Idle hands are the Devils workshop" ?

While I do understand having those moments where you want to throw everything away and go Golfing, and yes depression is something every human struggles with. The one's that don't are just lying because they can't dare face the fact it's not always Rosy on this Ball.

But Holy Bajeebus all you gotta do is look around and I guarantee you'll find someone worse off than you. Remember there's a whole bunch of folks that have never owned an old car and never will. That's just awful, imagine if you were one of those poor bastards.

People die everyday, and that's the only true end all. But while there's still a breath in your lungs no matter how big or small get going.

Find something to do on your car, polish a valve cover, chase threads, sit and stare at it until it gets you motivated to touch it. But Holy Shit never ever give up.

If you are even thinking about giving up give a professional a call, call a friend, hell call me if you want. We all go through this. Sometimes you feel alone in it, I do at times too. But the posts above prove that we aren't ever alone. Also there's nothing too big and hairy friends can't talk about.

So get off your duff and go find something to do that gets you going in a positive direction, and seriously if you need to talk gimme a shout.

All the best and the best wishes to you -
    Tim
    831 428 5693

28. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey @34Larry , I don't know you from a bar of soap, but I sure am glad that you opened up here about how you are travelling at the moment. Depression is a real thing for many people, and usually triggered by stress. A big step toward dealing with it is to 'recognise the beast ' for what it is. Nothing to be embarrassed about. You would be surprised how many of us grapple with it at varying levels every day.

One very important thing I want you to do for us. Promise that you will reach out if things get too overbearing. Friends, neighbors, family, professional help....... it doesn't matter. Please, ask for help if you need it, and I am not just talking about your '34. You know what I mean. Don't wait until the clouds are too dark. We all need a hand sometimes, and good people around you can be the support you need..........

29. Some times when things aren't going your way the best thing to do is step away and take a break. With all the trials and tribulations of mis fires and transmission problems some time to regroup may be the best bet.

AHotRod, VANDENPLAS, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  30. Welp, I'm almost 73 with stage 4 cancer [supposed to be dead by now, they say] asthma and high blood pressure. After 6 rounds of chemo, it took several days to feel strong enough to play with my 34 coupe. I came to the realization if I didn't get back out to the shop I'd wither away, sitting on the couch watching crappy TV shows. My problem is I've taken my 34 as far as I can without spending a lot of money so I now consider it done.
    I bought a new '50 Pontiac coupe project to keep me "in the game" so to speak. Like you, some days I want to go out and do some work on it but fatigue overwhelms me. The next day I will myself to do something in the garage, even if it's just cleaning my tools, sweeping the floors because I know in my heart if I stop, it may be for good. Fight back.
    Yesterday I got my 34 out of storage and putted around in it all afternoon and then again today in 70 degree temps. What a recharge that is! Cruised around the area to friend's houses to BS and catch up on project progress. I'm planning to do again tomorrow in 76 degree temps. Get out, go for a walk, visit your car buddies and go for a ride in a hot rod....I promise you'll feel more positive. 34 5_20.jpg