Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Element Fire Extinguisher - who said there is nothing new under the sun?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Do you have a link? HRP

Desoto291Hemi and ladyhrp like this.
  2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Got one in all three of my vehicles.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. I didn't know about these. Thanks for the tip Danny. Looks like thats the ticket..:)

Desoto291Hemi and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, Danny! I'm sold!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Never heard of these before now, but will be checking into them!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Danny, thanks for getting the word out on this. Ordering some for myself and the kiddo.

Some say your’e a HAMB asset. Hell. I say you’re a HAMB treasure sir!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

It will be interesting to see if this extinguisher gets approved by boating and other authorities.

dan31, upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I haven’t ever had a car fire of my own , yet . Very important to check the rubber hose between the fuel line and carb on a later Ford engine . It will happen before you know what happened ! I have been on a few “ good “ high pressure gas line fires . Purple K was my friend , I really think it would but out the fire in Hell . Thanks so much HRP , I have never seen one of these , but it’s now on the must have list soon .
    I have had one old Harley light off on me while riding , the faster you go trying to out run it the hotter it gets ! I was lucky enough the pet cock worked and I beat it out with my tee shirt . Next was my shorts , I know damn good and well they would have worked , they were for sure wet enough to work !

Jet96, weps, X-cpe and 5 others like this.
  9. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Sorry. I meant $79

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is this info describing how this particular device (Element) works? In the Leno Garage video the guy says a couple of times that it does not rob/deplete oxygen, so maybe there's some other black magic happening.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

From the Element Site
    "
    "IS ELEMENT ONLY FOR CARS?

NO! Fire does not play favorites of where it burns and Element is perfect for any environment where a fire may occur. This includes homes, boats, motorcycles, ATV’s/ UTV’s, campers, garages, offices, workshops, trailers, and more and more."

"

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Thanks for the heads up Danny.

Like a lot of you I have never seen or heard of this fire extinguisher but I will be buying one for my hot rod.

Charlie K and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sold. I have been carrying Halon extinguishers in two of my cars, but they are expensive and need to be checked/refilled every several years, just like dry chemical, with more expense. The very small size and long discharge time are big pluses, along with not needing a recheck/recharge.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. Very cool, there is another product out there that is similar and looks like a grenade you toss into the fire.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks for the heads up HRP, got two on the way.

winduptoy likes this.
  16. I have been hauling a 10 lb. Kidde fire extinguisher in the back seat when I travel a Element fire extinguisher weighing in at 9.7 ounce will be a something easy to mount and handy if needed. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Just abut a year ago my son gave me a chromed dry chemical that I mounted on the package shelf of my'40 coupe and I have another for the Hiboy roadster, just don't have a good accessible spot to mount it!
    This Element looks like it may be just the ticket since it's so much smaller.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    HOTRODPRIMER and ladyhrp like this.
  18. Thanx for the heads up about the Element extinguisher. Noticed yesterday that the extinguishers in both rides showed discharge on the gauge. Ordered 2

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. I wonder why there's a plasticizer, what a plasticizer is, and I assume it's ejected

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Thanks for the info, Pard! Great stuff!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Heard about these a number of years ago. A couple of years back our local club got together a had a "group buy" which lowered the price. Batch was sent to one members address and then dispearsed from there.

HOTRODPRIMER and dirty old man like this.
  22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Interesting, potassium nitrate (saltpeter) is the main ingredient in black powder aka gunpowder. It sure looks like the extinguisher is basically a flare with fire suppressing chemicals mixed in. Understandably the manufacturer is a bit coy on the actual formulation and details of how it really works.

Remember that this is ad copy from the manufacturer, which is a much different thing from a rating by an independent body such as an insurance underwriter or fire rating authority.

It does seem to be a good product, but I'd like to see criticism / praise from an independent testing body.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I saw the Jay Leno video awhile back and it showed the Element doing the job it clams to do. Had just let it slip my mind, what with all the crazy events of the last several months. 2020- was a helluva year for a lot of folks.

24. Just to add to some of the tech on this. I looked into the Chimfex as an alternative. It is similar, but there are a couple differences as I could see:
    1) Once ignited, the gas does not come out as forcefully at least as shown in videos, I believe because it does not have a nozzle like end. May have different propellant force from a different propellant mix.
    2) The chemical formula I think is different, although the net effect is the same and the fire extinguishing technology is the same (sucks the oxygen out of the immediate area). This may be also some of reason why the gas coming out is less of a forceful stream. The main "active ingredient" in the Chimfex is zinc oxide. The zinc powder in the Chimfex reacts with the oxygen in the air around the fire, which extinguishes the fire. I have not seen any reference to zinc as part of the Element extinguisher.

So that's my take on why the Chimfex may not be a completely equal alternative. Chimfex may in fact work, but it could be tougher to use since you need to get closer as the gas is not forced out as strong. That could be significant depending on the level of the fire.

What we need is somebody that is a chemist or even better somebody familiar with fire extinguishing technology to get detailed evaluation.

Hamtown Al and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. I would think the materials used in the design and the products used in production is a closely guarded secret much like the formula of Coke Cola. HRP

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one mounted in an OT car and will likely buy one each for several other cars.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been searching down under , but none showed up here. Shipping is only by sea, so that will not happen . Seems like a great product.

28. Likewise...:(, I guess we are stuck with the powder....

29. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Problem with boats is the USCG. The coast guard can and will board your boat and check for all safety gear. These do not carry the USCG approval, to the best of my knowledge. Therefore you are still looking at a ticket and a fine if the coastie wants to be a jerk, which is something a few of them specialize in. All that being said I just bought three of them and I will order a large one for the boat to keep along with my approved ones.

Here is the complete statement on the Element website:
    Originating in Italy, Element has been certified by CE Europe, TUV, and the RINA maritime authority. Institutionally it has been tested and certified for use by multiple international military and police groups who have adopted it for active use.

In North America, Underwriters Laboratories (UL) controls the certification of portable fire extinguishers. UL does their testing to a standard that includes a form (physical shape) component as well as a performance component. Because Element's form does not meet UL's definition of what a fire extinguisher looks like (i.e. compressed gas cylinder with a hose and measurement gauge) it is passed over for performance testing.

In fixed extinguishing installations, the effectiveness of Element’s aerosol fire suppression technology has already been recognized & approved by UL for several decades as part of the UL2775 certification protocol. UL is now being campaigned to update its portable fire extinguisher standard in order to recognize Element’s innovative design and allow it an opportunity to be tested and certified.

Until the standards are formally updated Element cannot be used to substitute extinguishers in regulated environments that require a UL (or UL endorsed) certification. In these settings Element can however be used as a supplement to the mandatory devices.

In non-regulated environments (car, home, personal garage,etc.) Element can be used exclusively and without restriction.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021