Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects “You don’t know what you got until it’s gone .... or forget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Apr 15, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I do like a good surprise though . :)

2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Attached Files:

3. mountainman2

mountainman2

Just finished this afternoon running a new electrical circuit to the garage. I have a suspended ceiling in basement and garage that makes access relatively easy. All went smoothly with installation and had a couple of surprises. Found 2 screwdrivers and a led work light that I have been searching for for 2 years. They were left behind on the last wire I ran. Now, if I could only remember everyone I accused of taking them........:(

4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

The wife just started picking up garden tools , so previously I have too give my self a “what the ....” if tools go missing in the house ,garage or outside.:D But now .... oh well , I will get the blame.

5. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well , I better come help you look for it before you make it number 3 .:D:oops:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  6. If I have something I decide is important I put it in a special spot. Then I can never remember where that spot was.... drives me nuts.

I currently have a missing 250 6cyl in my yard somewhere. Its not anything special I just don't remember where I put it. An engine is pretty big to be misplaced.

hotrodjack33, loudbang and 41rodderz like this.
  7. primed34

primed34

Had a friend do the same thing with horses. His kids thought that he was selling down, but he was just scattering them out.

loudbang and 41rodderz like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I brought a NOS Sun Super Tach II into the house to keep it safe from anybody that might see it in my carport shop. Stuck it in a end table in the living room where I’d know where it was. Yeah, right. Hunted that damn thing for two years before I gave up and bought a slightly used one to replace it. The day it came in the mail, while I was opening the box, wife asked why I bought another one? Told her the other one was lost, she promptly walked over to the end table, opened the drawer, and handed me my NOS tach, and said “What’s this ?”.
    Now if I can’t find something, I just ask her. She remembers better than I do.....

9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I wish I had a memory as good as my Grandpa. Had a farm , leased out 52 work horses too the Amish and old school Mennonites and 11 bulls for breeding . Could tell the animals name , people and address where every horse or bull was and when the day the leases all started without looking it up. I can’t remember sh.. :oops:

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  10. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

My brother-in-law called the other day and asked if I had borrowed his micrometer set as he had looked every where in his garage and never found them. I told him no, I had my own. I told him he could borrow mine if he wanted to. He called again today and said he found his but he needs to borrow mine any way, he found his in his wife's hobby room. She was using them as c-clamps on some of her crafts, sprung all to hell with glue and paint all over them.:eek:

11. 62rebel

62rebel

Y'all are killing me. Really.

12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That’s always the case . The wife usually knows.

hotrodharry2 and X-cpe like this.
  13. I lose stuff all the time. I try to mark the boxes and have them facing out and I try NOT to put anything on the back-wall shelves. I was looking, tearing the garage apart for something a couple years back. I knew it was not on the back-wall shelves... never guess where I found it.

I also had this magic box, anything that was lost would turn up in that copier paper box. I should have inventoried it and put a label on the outside. Currently, I am tearing the garage apart looking for a day-night mirror that I want to adapt to my Ford.

41rodderz likes this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

I noticed a bulge in the wall of the garage and found out the drywall I had put up decades ago covered up another wall plug that I had wired in.

41rodderz likes this.
  15. Ok so here's a follow up to my "example" of CRS..... It was that time again to cut this damn grass farm, got it cut, put the mower back in the shed, grabbed the weedeater and took off like a machine. Looked over at the ranchero sitting beside the shop and said well i better go cut around that thing, came around the driver's side and guess what I found :D:D:D 20200416_164901.jpg

16. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Yesterday my daughter found a propane torch at her house I have been looking for since last summer. She said that I left it there last summer.

17. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yep . I do that once or twice a day. I just have a good chuckle to myself . Unless it is something really important , then I am like a chicken with his head cut off running here , there and right past it a half a dozen times . :)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I lost a 2" mic when I cleaned the machine shop couple weeks ago; I can see bench now but the mic isn't in the cabinet. Been looking for a '51 Ford dash for years, it was loaded and just vanished. Mark the box you say, ok, but not in haste! Got to be able to read it down the road!

19. [QUOTE=" BamaMav
    Now if I can’t find something, I just ask her. She remembers better than I do.....[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. I don't need google, my wife knows everything.

20. Budget36

Budget36

I am still looking for a suitcase generator I used to have.
    What gets me is it much larger than a 9/16 wrench.

21. atch

atch

I've been looking for the hoses for my shop vac for over a year. They HAVE to be in the shop somewhere but darned if I can find them. How do you lose a shop vac hose??? Oh, yeah; the same way you lose a drill press.

A couple of weeks ago Pat Ganahl's blog contained his trip to where The California Kid was filmed. I haven't seen the flick since it came out on TV, or at least I don't remember if I have. So I ordered a DVD from Amazon. It arrived a couple of days ago and sweetie saw me open it. She asked if I had looked in the DVD shelves before I ordered it. Of course not; why would I. I knew we didn't have a copy. A few minutes ago she brought two copies into the room where I'm at and set them on top of the one that came earlier this week.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  22. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Just so I know what to expect, how long to live that one down?

chryslerfan55 and safetythird like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My new '27 windshield stanchions disappeared on me a year and a half ago. HAD to be in the shop, that's where the roadster is that I was fitting them to.
    Wife went out to the shop, walked around slowly, (said a prayer) and walked around between the frame table and the shelf unit...picked them up from behind a Speedway box!

Worse case than that: 10 years ago, I bought a 1932 name brand lathe, 36" bed, used it a few times, then moved some stuff around in the garage. After we built my shop, I went looking for my lathe. Looked everywhere, (I thought) found it last week when pulling a pair of 392 hemi heads out from a lower shelf in the garage. It was snuggled in behind the big monster heads!

25. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I would call that preacher and tell him he owes mw a COLD 6 pack;)

26. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I find stuff that I forgot about all the time. But the amazing find was by my Mon and sister. I had to put my Dad in a nursing home last September because his dementia had gotten to the point that my Mom could not care for him. Well he has always been a pack rat { so I get it honestly!} but the last five years or so it had gotten to hoarder status . Anyway my mom moved in with my brother and my sister and her started cleaning out all the junk he wouldn't let anyone throw away . Well they knew he was hiding things { it is a part of the disease} so they checked every box , bag and back corner. so far the have found about $1,800.00 so who knows some of you maybe worth more than you know! lol Larry

chryslerfan55 and Tickety Boo like this.
  27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have not lost a drill press but I have lost many things over the years. Yes, my wife has bailed me out many times like the rest of you.

The worst part is that when I have a part that I will soon need I put it in a place that is easily remembered. The special place is forgotten and the odd thing is that I keep doing it over and over. I swear I'm going to mark "Special Place" and put it in plain sight..........if I remember.

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  28. atch

atch

I'll have to let you know in a few years. (this was the California Kid DVD's; see post #51)

After Mom died and the two daughter-in-laws were cleaning out her stuff Dad told them to check EVERY envelope, book, drawer, etc. I don't remember what the eventual total was but they found several hundred dollars. I don't think that there was more than $20 in any one place. Reminds me; I need to go to the dirty laundry hamper. I'm pretty sure I had $20 - $30 in my pants pocket a couple of days ago. Guess what? I can't find it either.

Like many of you have mentioned the pretty half of this team knows where everything is or at least can spot it right asway. Sometimes when I've looked for something in the shop for quite a while I go to the house and ask Sherry to look with me. Usually she finds it within a couple of minutes. That reminds me; maybe I should ask her to look for the shop vac hoses.

29. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I am in the shop there is a good chance I'll wander (wonder?) around trying to remember either what I went upstairs for or where that ?????? is that I just laid down:( One day I needed the Loctite and couldn't find it. I went to the store and bought a replacement..............yep.............as soon as I got back it came to me where it was located. I know it wasn't as big as a motor or drill press but I had been within a couple of feet of it all along:(

30. atch

atch

This reminds me of when I built some shelves 3 1/2" deep to put spray cans on. As I found them I put cans of spray paint and other stuff on these shelves. I wound up with 7 cans of WD-40 on a shelf.