Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***March 2021 Banger Meet Thread - Equinox Sacrifice For Bangers***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Mar 1, 2021.

1. I'm strongly considering just running a Flaming River Vega style box like what's in my coupe. Screen Shot 2021-02-18 at 12.20.14 PM.png

Old Dawg, Dustyp489 and winduptoy like this.
  2. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a loca
    A local picked this one up and went about effing it up and loosing the banger but I thought it had 'the look'

Jet96, Old Dawg and railcarmover like this.
  3. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scheez can't even post a photo...I'm going back to the garage and see what I forget there.... IMG_20170313_133545988.jpg

GuyW, nutrocker, akkhotrod and 4 others like this.
  4. I think I remember seeing this for sale, wasn't it posted for like 40k?

5. railcarmover

railcarmover

Nice...I just cant bring myself to put the saw to mine..

winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  6. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think so. I did a google image search just to make certain but I can be wrong...lots, ask my wife
    She is the one that beats me unmercifully....so I quit playing cards with her.

Jet96 likes this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I understand.
    It's the best looking chop on a Sport Coupe that I've seen....yours has wooden roll bars but then again I loose at cards

Jet96 and Old Dawg like this.
  8. railcarmover

railcarmover

90 year old Michigan hardwood,to stiffen the joints I lined the with flatbar 20180616_065359.jpg

Jet96, Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  9. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

I used a F1 steering that bolted right in and used a short pitman arm .steering is great and looks stock. I think a guy name Mel Gross sold them

Old Dawg and winduptoy like this.
  10. How many people does it take to lift a banger
    out of a truck bed with no engine hoist?

I was too lazy to dig the engine hoist out!
    IMG_3103.JPG

J.Ukrop, stillrunners, Jet96 and 4 others like this.
  11. Phil Damon

Phil Damon
    from San Diego

Mel's son Randy took over the business when Mel passed. I have one of his F100 boxes in my Model A.

12. Mock up engine in the T! Should be getting the built engine soon. Any one have recommendations on wheel and tire setup for this?
    IMG_3157.JPG

13. guitarguy

guitarguy

14. I want to say somewhere near 86”. It makes my roadster feel like a limousine.

How’s the T coming?

chryslerfan55, winduptoy and Old Dawg like this.
  15. guitarguy

guitarguy

That's approx 10" shorter than mine. That's a stubby little car. Wheel and tires will play a big look on that car.

T progress is slow, too cold here, and lots of regular life stuff to do anyhow.

16. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always had real good luck with dealing with Randy. I've not has his steering box, but have friends that have and are happy. He has done many brake shoe relines and install cast iron brake drums on hubs. 4 more Model A hubs and 8 shoes on the way there now and he will turn them around in a week based on past experience

J.Ukrop, Jet96 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

Randy Gross is a Great Guy to do business with. I have gotten both brakes drums and steering box. All top Notch.

winduptoy likes this.
  18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

Randy Gross is a Great Guy to do business with. I have gotten both brakes drums and steering box. All top Notch. ............. DITTO ............

winduptoy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know i asked if A and B starter bolt patterns were the same , they are. But is the ring gear in the same place for pinion engagement? I don’t have an A starter to compare to my B starter.
    Just contemplating a reduction starter , as we have bumped up the compression some.

20. They are the same

Old Dawg and Kiwi 4d like this.
  21. callcoy

callcoy

Bertz Engine Delivery
    The first complete Bertz engine will be delivered this Friday in So Calif.

22. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yup, got to pick up my Burtz also,as it’s waiting at warehouse since last week !
    what are you calling a COMPLETE engine ?
    Who built it , if you know ?

23. Compared to my friends 32 frame it’s WAY SMALL! I’m thinking 18’s in the rear, and then 16’s in the front with 4.50s

Totally understandable.. Turned my office into a nursery for our first, he’ll be a hotrodder!

winduptoy likes this.
  24. Post some pictures when you get it!

winduptoy likes this.
  25. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i bought one of the smaller reduction starters . much ezier to take out & put in . starter work well .....

Old Dawg likes this.
  26. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Retson,
    Congrats on your “first”...rodder yute !
    Maybe by time I can get around to building this Burtz equipment, your yute will be able to finish the job !!
    Yeah, when I get word that my funds are cleared... I’ll pick it up and give ya some pics. Too old to get excited... lol
    No expectations, but I know Terry. He is a perfectionist !!

27. Welp, got some 18's for the rear. Everything is sort of wrapped up as a californian rain storm is coming!!

Side note, has anyone ever solid mounted a banger? This frame has no support for a front motor mount, so Im making one out of angle iron.

IMG_0108.jpeg

Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  28. guitarguy

guitarguy

@Retson the Racer Model T engines are solid mounted. The front mount is a swivel point however. @David Mazza has mounted his A engine in the T chassis just like a stock T. He modified the front mount to do so and fabbed the rear brackets---which I copied. Hey, what are friends for! Honestly we talked about it alot before he did it though, and it all worked out great.

Jet96, winduptoy and Retson the Racer like this.
  29. Awesome, thanks! I've got the rear bell housing mounts already, just need to figure the front.

30. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@Retson the Racer the early Model As had the engine effectively solid mounted. The engine bolted to the front crossmember with 2 bolts. It was changed fairly early on.

winduptoy likes this.