Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cheapest/best way to get something from California to Ohio?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hogluvr, Mar 6, 2021.

1. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Looking at a very rough hardtop for my '56 T-Bird, any ideas how to get it here without costing a fortune? Tried uship and no responses.

2. 48ford

48ford

Does fast all still do it?
    You pick it up at your local store

3. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

I've used fastenal before, guy doesn't really want to ship so doubt he will haul it there. I think it has to be palletized too

4. 40Vert

40Vert

Unfortunately, Fastenal is not shipping between “West” and “East” zones due to Cov-id.

Perhaps, a look at Greyhound freight. I’ve used that before with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Ah, had not heard that. Have used Greyhound before too, unfortunately same thing, doubt the guy will drag it down to a terminal.

6. Aaron63Nova

Aaron63Nova

If the seller has the patience you might get lucky with uship and get a car guy. I bought a motorcycle dyno last February. Large, heavy, awkward, in multiple pieces and most people have no idea what it is. Maybe I got lucky but I had a guy in his early 80’s haul it back and he even had to stop and wrap it up from the elements because the seller did such a terrible job. I definitely didnt get any bites right away.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah I used them a few years ago and got some ridiculous quotes. I waited and at the last minute some guy contacted me and said he had extra room in his truck if he could pick it up right away, did it for next to nothing. Haven't had that kind of luck with them since, guess we'll wait and see

8. Budget36

Budget36

What part of Ca ? Might someone near it that would help out.

9. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Try one of the auto transporter on the HAMB. Some transporters will haul parts if they can fit it in/on their trailer and the pick up and destinations line up.

You may need a HAMB relay (I seem to recall a HAMB relay thread at one time?). IE, someone in Norcal going to Bonneville in a pickup or race rig that would hand it off to someone heading your way that is towing (Rolling Bones group?).

If you have a relative or good friend in the middle of the country, maybe you only need it hauled halfway to OH and they can ship it to you from there.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Bill's Auto Works and 5window like this.
  11. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Gotcha, I'll check it out thanks!

12. F&J

F&J

This is fact ^. I tried Fastenal back in October for shipping from Cal to CT, and they only replied "Thank You for your shipping quote request, but we are currently not shipping from West Coast to Mid-East or East Coast".
    hamber Bills Auto Works on here is based in Ohio, and was able to do my haul, but my item (engine on a pallet) had to fit on his 4'x6' rolling dolly. It can't hurt to contact him, maybe he can do it, maybe not. Bill picked my item up right away as he was already scheduled to be in that exact area back then, but I told him I could wait till Spring for another east coast trip out to here. He arrived last week:
    20210224_113302 (800x600).jpg 20210224_113230 (800x600).jpg

13. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Ok I'll try giving him a shout thanks!

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that that roof may be too big to go Greyhound. Big problem with shipping with them now is that they have closed most of their real bus stations and freight gets set out at mini marts and other places that may not be secure.

Fedex freight isn't outrageously expensive but it would still have to be crated or boxed up.

Still Eureka is out past the end of the known world California wise. It's the town we drive though when we take a trip though the redwoods. best thing might be if a regular posting member lives close by or has reason to go though there on a regular basis and could pick the top up and haul it to somewhere that it would be easier to get it shipped from.

Checking on a T bird site the top weighs right at 85 lbs but I didn't find any measurements.

15. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Someone told me approx. 57x51x18 inches

16. Budget36

Budget36

Eureka is kinda out of the way. I think Uship was mentioned, I used that site years ago for sending a engine to someplace in the Midwest or further, thing was there was about two weeks of 7/800 dollar quotes, then got one about the 3rd week for just a couple of hundred.
    Two guys in an enclosed truck pulled in and I loading it in. Was door to door service. Took the buyer a few weeks to get it, but he did save some money on it.
    I wish I’d have saved the business card. They offered to have either the buyer pay COD for a few more bucks or pay at pick up.

17. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah I think that comes down to if someone is in the right place at the right time, same thing happened to me

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I looked and couldn't find the measurements on Grayhound's freight site. Years ago I shipped a 51 Mercury door to New Jersey by Grayhound but a buddy worked at the bus station locally then. I remember that I had to make the box fit within the limits and keep the weight under 100 lbs.

Kind of difficult as Eureka is a long 149 miles from Redding on I- 5 an 280 something from Sacramento where it would be a lot easier to get it a ride.
    Looking at a list of freight companies in Eureka shows that they have an Oak Harbor terminal They aren't cheap but I used them a lot back 30 years ago when I was having a lot of stuff shipped. They work well a few other companies and if you had it shipped terminal to terminal that saves a few buck. The guys in that terminal may know someone who will pick it up and crate it too. Not going to be cheap but that may be a solution. Best 30 Freight Service in Eureka, CA with Reviews - YP.com (yellowpages.com)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Hot Rods Ta Hell likes this.
  19. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah I've never been to Cali so I had no idea. Maybe I can talk the guy into dropping it off somewhere, but I doubt it. Seems like he really doesn't care if he sells it or not.

20. rockable and ffr1222k like this.
  21. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, love those types.

In a somewhat off the path area, but won't ship or help out.

Heck, leave the ad in the local CL/FB thing then.

Just my thoughts.

22. Have you checked worst case scenario. Item cost+ shipping Vs finding it locally or localish driving. Also consider if some damage may occur in transit.
    Yeah I know those too may be hard to find. But they are Out there.

23. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

BenD is straight up honest,

24. As always thank you for the kind words Gentlemen!

Hopefully BenD has a reason to go further north than Stockton as it is a 650 mile round trip to Eureka. I have the same issue as Roseville is a 600 mile round trip! My other issue is I am pretty sure I already have one large piece (bench seat) to go along with the vehicle I am taking back east. The customers vehicle is my biggest concern, so I never pile a bunch of stuff around it in the trailer.

To the OP, I will keep your info in case something changes.

God Bless
    Bill
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

lothiandon1940 and ffr1222k like this.
  25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A year or so ago I sold some frames to a guy in the midwest. He had Ben D transport them. Ben showed up on time on the way to Pomona to p/u pr drop off a car (don't remember which). Anyway a good guy. He might be able to add a top to an existing shipment but unfortunately Eureka is pretty close to BFE as far as transporters are concerned.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  26. hogluvr

hogluvr
    from Ohio

Yeah I'm seeing that, might be beating a dead horse on this one...

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  27. 55blacktie

55blacktie

28. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Did you check Hill's Thunderbird in Ohio? They might have a decent top. May cost more up front, but may be within a doable driving distance, in which case shipping won't be an issue.