Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical starter grounding

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Materguru, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Materguru

Materguru

i have posted this question another way but now i know the starter when its engaging is grounding by not springing back. I have a swirl rod that the gear i slung down when power is put to it and i have seen springs that i guess push it back off the flywheel which makes it not ground. its a bendix drive with a spring at the top but my question is what makes the gear come back off the flywheel and become ungrounded. when I would touch the brass stud with VM it would read 3 when push starter now it sparks and doesn't read anything

2. ???

the starter “pushes out or engages by the solenoid.

main power on your big lug and a “trigger” or keyed power to the little terminal on the solenoid.

the bendix or what your calling the spiral spring thing, it was causes the starter to engage and disengage when power is applied to the solenoid.and when power is removed .

it’s wise to have a ground wire from one of the starter mounting bolts to chassis.

what engine are we talking about?
    What starter ? Stock ? A/M? Mini ? Gear reduction ?
    How’s it wired ?
    Tuna sandwich ?
    Beer or water ?

rusty valley and Budget36 like this.
  3. Usually hitting the starter with hammer will get it to stop cranking if it is stuck.

Used to happen all the time when jumping stuff in the used equipment row; thinking low voltage had a hand in it.

4. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have found that a good hearty whack with a hammer will cause many things to stop working.

5. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Know a guy who served 10 years for doing that, his ex was very vindictive.

302GMC and trevorsworth like this.
  6. bchctybob

bchctybob

It would help to know what engine you’re working with but it sounds like an old Ford starter with a firewall mounted solenoid and the long Bendix drive. Right?
    The starter itself “grounds” through the case/bolts/bellhousing and the cable terminal provides voltage to the windings. The starter button on the dash provides the temporary ground that triggers the solenoid that sends the battery voltage to the starter motor. The starter spins and throws the small gear into engagement with the flywheel. Once the engine starts the starter gear gets mechanically thrown out of engagement on that twisted splined starter shaft. If the starter button sticks or if the solenoid malfunctions the starter may try to stay engaged. A worn starter gear or flywheel may cause the gear to disengage before the engine starts. I may not be understanding what’s going wrong with your setup.
    In the most common GM setup, the solenoid itself pushes the gear toward the flywheel via a lever and I retracts via a big internal coil spring.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  7. caper

caper
    from Cape Cod

I think we should read "grind" for "ground"

Jibs likes this.
  8. 4ty

4ty

The spiral "thingy" needs to be lubrication free.
    Paul in CT

9. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I don't ever recall seeing a factory installed starter ground cable .

10. alchemy

alchemy

Grounding is what electrons do. Grinding is what gears do. Which is your car doing?

The starter case will be grounded to the block via the mating surface and bolts, which should be grounded to the chassis and battery via thick ground straps.

11. BJR

BJR

What we have here is a failure to communicate. :eek:

Budget36 likes this.
  12. Materguru

Materguru

wow, im terrible at explaining. do the starter ground for a second when it engages the flywheel. its a 32 with an 8ba thats wired like a 32 was, so it has no solenoid. im asking solely about he starter. my starter does not have a spring. what throws it back out of the way of the flywheel when either started or when let off the starter switch. mine also seems to be grounded. can or when a starter goes bad could or does that happen. make more sense. i didnt realize words could be interpreted so differently. sorry

VANDENPLAS likes this.

13. You are correct, but a lot of vehicle will have a ground cable going from one of the starter mounting bolts to the frame.

But ...... yeah........ a bit confusing to read, would be nice if the OP responded to our many many questions .

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking that Materguru does live on the far side of one of the oceans or way way down south.

Still what he is describing is usually due to a stuck solenoid that has contacts welding themselves to each other or in some cases a broken spring inside certain solenoids.
    Or a stuck starter button or switch for the same reason.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  15. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Materguru, the starter engaging with the flywheel doesn't have any electrical impact as far as in know. A 'throw out' starter ( as distint to the later more modern, pre engaged type) usually has a spring at the end which acts like a shock absorber. There is something iirc correctly which assists retraction but mainly this is achieved by the starting engine throwing it out / back. They are liable to stay out, jammed in the starter, for a number of reasons, burrs, crud on the spiral mechanism.

Chris

Sent from my SM-T515 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

alanp561 likes this.
  16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your starter looks like this, correct?[​IMG]

17. birdman1

birdman1

32 no solenoid

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If your car is wired like a 32, do you have a foot operated starter switch? [​IMG]tery.

19. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What I'm seeing in the Green Book is that solenoids weren't used until 1937.

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

I think the last time he brought this up it was determined that he has the original 32 type foot starter switch. No solenoid. in a wiring diagram it may be mislabeled as a starter solenoid, but it is a switch really. Also the last time, I thought the ground issue was covered, THE GEAR DOES NOT GROUND THE STARTER ! and once the engine is running faster than the starter, it throws the gear out of the way by use of the coarse threads on the shaft

WB69, VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  21. jaracer

jaracer

Me either, but most heavy truck starters have a ground stud with a cable going back to the battery pack.

rusty valley likes this.
  22. rusty valley

rusty valley

No such thing as too many grounds. I used to play with WW2 stuff, halftracks and such, and they had ground straps every where. Speaking for the OP here, he should have a battery cable going to the transmission, and to the manual starter switch, foot pedal if its 32 wiring.. starter is bolted to the motor, motor is bolted to the tranny, battery cable also bolted to the tranny, thus the whole blob of iron is grounded. The whole blob on an early ford is then bolted thru the front motor mounts, bolt heads on the water pump, bolt nuts on the frame, so a ground connection there, and on the trans, same thing, stuff is bolted, thus connected to ground. the only exception is if you have a heavily detailed painted motor you may loose connection there, so clean up some bare metal, or do as Mr Vandenplas said, and put on an extra ground strap

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

Also, most all the modern shit has a ground strap from body to frame. the old cars did not, they relied on just body bolts etc to make the connection. it usually does, but...again, no such thing as too many grounds

VANDENPLAS likes this.