Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Whatever happened to F&J .....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clem, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Hey Frank,

I enjoy your posts so can you tell what other forum and thread title as I'd love to follow along.

Stogy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The paint on that Nash looks fantastic.

Stogy likes this.
  3. goldmountain

goldmountain

Does the front of your car look like Larry Wood's car? Scan-201019-0001.jpg

4. Frank is an awesome guy...I really wish I lived a lot closer to him...he can fabricate and fix anything...he and his son bought a clapped out Willys Jeep from me I think it was Dec of 2018 or early 2019....love his daily driver '32 Ford...he is the real deal...

MikeC

5. catdad49

catdad49

Frank, great to see that you are Alive and Well (?). Always enjoyed your shared knowledge and even your ramblings. You have more cool sh*t than one body should have, that Nash is one classy machine. All the Best, Carp.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Good stuff! Love the photos along the water.

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@F&J
    Don't be too much of a stranger, Frank. I miss your posts.
    Nice job on the Willys.
    Your son keeping you active...
    GOOD.
    That blue paint is purdy.
    Good luck with everything!

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Frank.Glad to see you are doing well,as well as your posts.I really enjoy them.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. F&J

F&J

Hi Carp, here's some dragged out vintage car ramblings.... no way to keep it short,,

Last Fall when I fixed the blown out exhaust on the 32 Nash and then adjusted the knocking valves that I could now hear, I was bummed that I could now hear that it also had a bad crank and rod. My son said "worry about that later...keep doing bodywork instead"

In late September on the Nash Club Classifieds, I saw 2 ads on the same day, same seller that was selling a 1931 Nash engine for $250 in far Northern Cal near Oregon. One ad said Four cyl, other ad said Six cyl, but both ads said "rebuilt spare engine for the Great American Race"..

For years, I knew about a 1932 Nash from Oregon that was in the yearly races for over a decade. I was pretty sure it must be from that car, as the original 1932 rebuilt engine was swapped out decades ago for a 1934 overhead Nash engine with more power for those yearly Great American races. . But I knew it would be impossible for me to afford or find coast to coast shipping, so I never emailed the seller to find out if it really was that 1932 engine. (the sellers name was different)
    greatracecar.jpg

Well, I emailed 3 weeks later out of curiosity. The seller Terry, wrote right back saying that it WAS the same engine from the Great Race car and the car belonged to his Friend back then. (Nobody else wanted this 1932 engine in the classified ad). BTW, this engine type was only built for 8 months for the later 32 Nash models, so it's rare but not really valuable.

I tried Fastenal but after 3 days of failed attempts to get a reply, they finally emailed to say that they were "no longer doing any shipping from West Coast to the mid East or East coast". I once used UShip years ago, but that can be a sketchy nightmare.

Terry wanted it gone ASAP, as he was tearing down the barn where it sat for 20 years..All hope was slipping away...

Then the planets aligned when I saw a "Thank You type feedback" to Bills Auto Works on hamb about Bill being willing to haul fenders for a guy. I emailed Bill, and he said his last pre-snow trip to West Coast was in 10 days and he was doing a car pick up only 100 miles from Terry's place. I had told Bill I did not care if I had to wait till Spring to get it to Connecticut. So, Bill saved the day and he showed up last Wednesday here:
    20210224_113230 (800x600).jpg 20210224_113302 (800x600).jpg

Back in November when Bill grabbed the engine from Terry, he told Bill he had some hotrods including a 32 Ford. I could see a couple hotrods in the engine pic that Terry sent back then:
    thumbnail3.jpg

I emailed a pic of the Olds powered 32 Ford here, and he sent the following pics:
    thumbnail1.jpg thumbnail2.jpg

This whole story has been full of coincidences... The seller said his 32 Ford was built from junk parts that nobody wanted (like ours), and the Model A roadster is also Olds powered....and he says that when he retires soon, he is only going to drive old stuff as daily drivers.. (like I do)

Thor1, UNSHINED 2, Ford52PU and 21 others like this.
  10. Great story Frank. glad you were able to get the engine.

triumph 1, kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  11. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

Yeah, that’s good stuff. And it sounds like it played in your favor to be patient about delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  12. Cool story! Glad it worked out that you got the Nash engine!

Stogy likes this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Dang that’s cool. I’ve missed your adventures!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hambtastic!!

pitman, TFoch and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  15. catdad49

catdad49

Hey, Frank. I don’t know why I’m just seeing this, but once again one of your stories has brought a Smile to my face. Glad things worked out engine wise and Great to Hear that you are doing OK. That Model A roadster Really makes me Smile! Later, Carp.