Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Don't forget to run a file over the mating surfaces and check the block side for flatness.
    Use the right hardware too!

J.Ukrop and loudbang like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

No need to feel apprehensive about brazing on the intake manifold. My Dad made marine exhaust manifolds for our homemade '55 Pontiac powered ski boat and they were totally brazed together. Even with exhaust heat and minimal water cooling they lasted years until we went to a different engine and had to change the exhaust. That's when I learned how to braze, I was about 12 or 13. Lookin' good, can't wait to see how much improvement you feel.

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

@J.Ukrop I brought my roadster windshield frame to the local glass shop and asked them to make up and install the glass in it. I asked him what kind of rubber or welting he was going to use because I wanted it to look original. He said "nope, I will glue it in, we don't use that old stuff". So, I have a glued in windshield. It looks and performs fine but I still think about how maybe I should have shopped around.

4. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love how much vintage hardware you're able to come up with. Nobody's ever gonna be able to tell you started building this thing just last year.

David's roadster puts a smile on my face every time I see it, and so does yours. Great work brazing that intake up! Git it!

5. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Outback and J.Ukrop like this.
  6. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I brought the glass to the shop today. The two gentlemen who worked there were extremely nice and said the windshield will be ready tomorrow. I will bring the frame and ask if they have the correct tape to install it. If not, I will attempt to take it on myself.

That was our motivation for saving this funky old intake! It deserves to see the road once again. I'd like to think it's an old friend of the Cragar cover.

In my mind, their run took them north from their starting point on the Great Highway, past the Cliff House, onto the stretch of Clement just south of a Land's End where you get a great view of downtown, then up towards the Legion, through the Presidio via Lincoln, and then onto Marina Boulevard to rap the pipes and scare the sunbathers. From there, they passed the Palace of Fine Arts before cruising east on Chestnut. They headed towards North Beach, taking the hills and finally the windy road up to Coit Tower. The remainder of the run snaked back through the city, and the show took place somewhere inside Golden Gate Park. Now I need to find someone who was on the reliability run and ask them about the route! Gives me goosebumps thinking of a pack of hot rods roaming these streets...

Will do! I ordered some new copper gaskets as well. Brass nuts will be used on the manifolds.

7. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, it seems like a strong installation. That's so cool that you were able to take that on at such a young age. When I was 12 I was just manning the hot glue gun!

This is what I want to avoid, because it's inevitable that this windshield will get chipped, cracked or broken at some point. Thank you for the information.

I'll look into it!

Thank you! As you know, that is the goal. It's all about cohesion. I'm going to have the oldest new car on the road!

Woah! A project for another day for sure!

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

City Hot Rodding on a Budget, Part XI

As hot rodders, we're constantly working to solve problems on tight budgets. Well, what do you do when you have to clean parts but you don't have a compressor? You improvise. After scrubbing the intake inside and out, I brought it over to the local gas station—the only place in the city that I know of where you don't have to pay for air. With safety glasses on, I made it through two full cycles before the attendant got weirded out and cut the power. I didn't mind; it was just enough time. The intake was free of debris and ready for primer. Stay tuned for more updates soon. IMG_3588.jpg

9. 97

I know you said air is free at the gas station, I couldn't be without a compressor. I just had a quick look at Craigslist for SFbay there were several small compressors for like $10 to $60 and an air tank for $25 that you could fill at the gas station. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/tls/d/petaluma-air-compressor/7283675182.html
    https://images.craigslist.org/00808_dj8QStahMfrz_0t20CI_300x300.jpg
    https://images.craigslist.org/00707_DkG004dQ7Kz_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg
    https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tls/d/san-francisco-gallon-37-cfm-compressor/7284932487.html

bchctybob, J.Ukrop, RodStRace and 2 others like this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

Living in SF, if you decide to buy one, make sure it’s not an oiless compressor, be pretty noisy for your neighbors. Make sure it has a belt driven compressor from a motor.

bchctybob, nochop and J.Ukrop like this.
  11. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

One quick tip about brass intake and exhaust nuts.

Dodge,plymouth, and Chrysler flathead sixes use brass washers or nuts with a steel nut torqued on after them. Brass expands when heated and doesn't contract afterwards. This applies extra torque to the gaskets. It works great! I've used this trick on headers to stop the fasteners loosening off.

Uribe, bchctybob, charleyw and 11 others like this.
  12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@dumprat filing that one away for later for sure!

bchctybob, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  13. Dumprat, I didn't know that either.
    Good to know!

J.Ukrop likes this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

"Gives me goosebumps thinking of a pack of hot rods roaming these streets..." As an old light tented country guy it sorta' gives me goose bumps to think of driving a very noticeable little open car through just about any modern city. But if I ever get my roadster done and a some others would come along........that would be a fun drive for sure.
    Maybe I just worry too much if they do this in LA. :D Found it when researching where we lived when I was born.
    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...n_and_Observatory_includes_Breakfast-Los.html
    The manifold looks great you two did a great job. A decent compressor has always been an issue here. We make our own power and 220 v is a problem. Some of the job site portable models are fairly quiet and do fine for jobs smaller than most air tools & painting.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  15. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

J.Ukrop likes this.
  16. RodStRace

RodStRace

Those small compressors are a real life-saver, and sized for your current situation. They will run a blow gun, stapler, grease gun, fill tires, air brush, air ratchets and air chisel (with waiting), and other low CFM tools.
    However, they will NOT run an impact gun, DA sander or a paint gun reliably down the road.
    Also make sure you have adequate power supply. Most do not like weak wiring/extension cords.

https://www.garagetooladvisor.com/air-tools/what-size-air-compressor/

I have no idea what's available in your area, but I've found lots of cheap hand, air and power tools in the local thrift stores. Most are junk, but there are diamonds among the manure.

One tool that doesn't register for a lot of people is one I used a lot in the shop. It is a suction tank. You supply air to it and it has a valved hose that can suck fluids out. New they are expensive, but maybe you can find one used. EXAMPLE
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623859_200623859
    A friend with a shop would probably be very happy to store/use any bigger and rarely used tools. ;)
    Great for sucking old oil out of motorcycle engines.

A siphon blow gun is pretty neat for cleaning too. Having a solvent in aerosol is probably illegal in CA and not very nice in a heavily populated area, though. Soap and water/air and a brush will be better than just a brush.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/xtra-seal-siphon-blow-gun-15-5603/28200646-p

17. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I started prowling pawn shops for air tools and was able to pick up a lot of kool air tools for cheap. I think I paid $28 for my 1940s Snap-On impact and it runs like a bull. I paid $150 or maybe $250 for a used 30 gallon 150 psi Sears shop compressor a while back, it was a worthwhile investment even though it meant eating chili for a week. Granted I live in suburban Texas with neighbors spaced far enough apart that noisy tools don't bother anyone.

Only problem is I'm chronically bad at tool management and air tools come with lots of attachments, chuck wrenches, hoses, etc etc to trip over and lose...

I would skip a small compressor unless you need to move it from one site to another often... for working in your garage a big used compressor with a long hose is perfect and will run everything.

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Sorry, but no that's a construction (nailer/stapler) deal. Too small of a tank, and that price is too high for used.
    EXAMPLE $200 new
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...l-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-8010/206087284

There is an antique compressor listed on CL there too. I'd be very leery of that tank, even if the rest of it fit the HAMB aesthetic.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    J.Ukrop likes this.
  19. RodStRace

RodStRace

20. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

When I was a teenager I bought a really cheap glass bead blaster and rounded up a pail of clean dry sand and some tools. I knew that the local college had free air for bicycles outside one of the buildings, so I went there, took the air chuck off and screwed my crappy little glass bead setup to it and blasted away for awhile.

Then I put the air chuck back on and went home. No problems but maybe I annoyed a few cyclists.

Outback, treb11, RICH B and 4 others like this.
  21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you everyone for the help (as well as generous offers) regarding the compressor. My biggest issue is space. At this point, I break out my Home Depot "Bucket Head" (TM) shop vac in cases where low-psi compressed air could be used. One day when I get a 1.5 car garage (or a shed?) I'm going to treat myself to a compressor!

Great advice!

Thank you! And those little cars are a common sight over by my old spot near Golden Gate park. They sure are strange little vehicles!

Hahahah that's the best! I know the feeling!

guitarguy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just a couple of updates. Yesterday I got a call from Golden State Glass telling me my windshield is ready. Upon arrival, I took you guys' advice and asked if they would be able to install it. They said they don't usually do installations but to bring it by if I can't get it straightened out. Now that I've ordered my glass tape from C.W. Moss, I'm realizing that the windshield is probably 1/8 inch too wide and too tall because I failed to take the width of the tape (1/16-inch) into account while making my template. Damn. I'll run it by the pros and see what my options are.

Nonetheless, I'm happy to have the glass project at least started!
    IMG_3636.jpg
    Also, it was sunny here yesterday so I was able to paint the intake. The color? VHT high-temp black over high-temp primer. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out.
    IMG_3638.jpg
    I'm waiting on a few parts from All Ford, but in the coming week I am going to move forward on the fuel system, pump wiring and throttle linkage assembly. We're getting closer to fire-up!

23. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your banger is looking really sweet! Pity about the glass but hopefully they can get it straightened out!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My experience with gas station air borrowing: When I was going in JR College I broke the cleaning rod and left the jag in the bore on my muzzle loading rifle. After trying to fish it out for an hours or so I pulled the barrel andwent the the gas station where my friend worked. I pulled the nipple where the percussion cap goes and put a new valve stem in the air chuck. I put the end of the valve stem over the hole where the nipple screws in and put the air to it. With a pretty good pop the jag came out and hit a car goin down the street. The driver stopped, we hid, he picked up the jag looked at it, threw it down, and drove off. I retrieved the jag and went home. Could have been worse.

25. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! They seem like they are pretty experienced, so we shall see.

Hahahah this is one of the best things I've ever read on the H.A.M.B. Too good!

26. I've seen hockey stick tape or even multiple layers of regular electrical tape used to set glass. Probably get flamed for admitting it; but I used black silicone to set the windshield glass on my T. I'd stay away from urethane; might look like a good idea but always proves to be nasty stuff.

Outback, 32Dan, Six Ball and 3 others like this.
  27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I don’t know man. Figuring it out before you force the shit out of it and break it doesn’t sound very traditional to me. Haha.

good catch. That small of margin they might be able to sand it down

28. electrical tape works good. Glue can cause problems if you ever have to change it.

J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That's a good plan. As far as the hair goes, I always wanted to grow it long enough to donate. This is my year! Plus I'm going for that early Street Rod Nats look.

I have some black friction tape (essentially hockey tape) that I may incorporate if it comes to that. Thank you for the advice on the silicon!

Sooo when I went to see how the glass fit, it chewed up a tiny bit of the lower corner. It'll be covered by the frame—but it was a pretty traditional misstep!