Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Ever Bought Valve Covers With Vented Opening That Does Not Let Oil Into Motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Joker, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

For small block Chevy - bought nice looking valve chrome stamped metal valve covers that looked OK when installed - never thought about looking to see if I can put oil in motor thru the vent openings, which are so small that barely allows oil to go into motor - just about need to use an eye dropper to drip oil in - at this point I guess that I will have to modify vent to let oil in without pumping out of vent 20210303_175407.jpg 20210303_175330.jpg 20210303_175508.jpg

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. Ok for the early engine with the manifold tube.

partsdawg, Budget36 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

More crap. If they were for an early engine with a filler neck on the intake, they wouldnt use a breather pipe to the air cleaner. or PCV. If they are for a later engine where do you put the oil in?

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  4. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Yep, did a blower motor one time and bought a set of hi-rise aluminum valve covers.
    Found the same exact issue when I went to re-fill the crankcase. It took me 45 minutes
    to put in 5 qts. of oil. What a pain!

hotrodjack33 likes this.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago I bought some Cal Custom finned aluminum valve covers that had NO holes. They looked great on the engine, but had to run the PVC off the dipstick tube...added oil through the tube to.

19Eddy30 likes this.
  6. Be careful of the spacing where the baffle is placed before nocking a hole in it. I have a set like that and the center of the hole is directly over a rocker arm. Opening the hole let oil from the pushrod purge against the breather and run all over the motor. They are wall hangers now.

Bob Lowry and 19Eddy30 like this.
  7. The other side for the P.C.V. had oil squirting directly into the valve. Made for very poor Miles per Quart of Oil.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Only four 1/4" bolts to remove a valve cover, how often do you change/add oil?

Tim, big duece, partsdawg and 2 others like this.
  9. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have a new set of Holley satin aluminum valve covers ""No holes""
    I purchased knowing this ,
    do not like hoes in finned covers.
    I hidden the oil vents down between the runners floor intake over lifters Valley (4-6 & 3-5 SBC ) .
    I fill my Oil threw dip stick .

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  10. Budget36

Budget36

If I had to fill my oil through the dipstick tube after I changed it, I’d be drunk off my ass before the 5th quart;).

You guys got some patience!

LWEL9226, Mr48chev, swade41 and 5 others like this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

I find myself sometimes tapping my foot waiting for something in microwave - not going to put oil down dipstick - nor will be removing valve cover to add oil - low miles on rebuild, so should not need oil any time soon after this change - too used to pouring oil into motor at breather - caution about not modifying vent likely will leave me with buying another brand chrome covers - some have 3 holes, which not as clean as 2 holes but, can easily put oil in - any other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Bandit Billy and lake_harley like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Intake with the filler tube?

edt: re reading the replies I see it’s been suggested before.
    Do you need the low profile VCs and are you stuck on chrome?

13. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

7 and 9 fin Corvette valve covers. That is why there is a tube in front on the intake manifold and a vent tube in the rear of the topside of the block.

rbrewer likes this.
  14. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

I had a set of covers with the same problem. So with me being cheap i wasnt about to buy a new set! I took them off and took a sharp punch and punched holes through the bottom of the so called baffle in the cover. It worked pretty good. Good luck figuring out a plan for yours!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

20170119_202836.jpg

16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like the stock painted valve covers. I only use Big Block Chevys so they don't need any bling.. engine center.JPG

Bob Lowry and ramblin dan like this.
  17. upspirate

upspirate

18. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

If you are running an electric fuel pump, you can make a stand pipe off the mechanical pump block off plate.

19. I don't get it, every set of custom valve covers I buy has baffles in the breather and filler holes. I can usually tip and insert a quart bottle with no problem. Maybe with your set they got the design wrong?

20. cshades

cshades
    from wi

I bought a set of those 15 years ago and they were like that then. i just used a step drill and made a hole about 1/2 inch which really helped and i also use a funnel that fits real tight in the grommet so i dont have to stand there pouring oil.

upspirate and Jalopy Joker like this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

thinking about drilling a few 1/4" holes which should let oil flow better but, shallow depth causes funnel limits

- usually get quarts but, bought a 5 qt container which makes this process more difficult

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Great idea Bruce, surprised I have never seen it done before, doesn't seem like it would be too difficult assuming having an electric fuel pump of course.
    Maybe adapt one of the old water fills like the old hemi powered dragsters used that mounted on the front of the head, they had a cool screw on cap.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can’t do that. It’s where you construct a mount for your AC compressor so it doesn’t mount up top and look like shit.

24. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Oh, I thought we were talking about REAL hot rods here;)

25. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Easy fix. Remove the baffles in them, and get a pair of Mr Gasket baffled grommets. The grommets cost about $5 a pair, and have an offset baffle built into them. I slit the baffle in them to result in a crosshair type opening, so pushing a small funnel in spreads the baffle open to allow easy oil filling. Once pulled out the rubber goes back together and works just as before.
    https://www.holley.com/products/eng...Ba7ctkBDnxNsyfsprW9W_YBaPG3dScXRoC7ekQAvD_BwE

Tim, XXL__, egads and 4 others like this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- Ha! just looked at these online - available at local O'reillys auto parts - figured that would just remove grommet while putting oil in motor - Thanks -

upspirate likes this.
  27. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

No faster then pulling the Valve cover , & No big oil mess.(R&R v -cover)
    I made/modified / Use a 5 qt funnel fill walk a way . Check ties / Lube all the zerks , etc.
    8 qt Milodon pan sbc

28. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my Desoto, no oil filler as a result of Hot Heads front cover and intake. Made my own out of a Donovan water filler. Opened the side of the cover, welded in nuts, re-chromed. I need to have my striper a "710" on it!
    upload_2021-3-4_10-57-29.png

29. TRENDZ

TRENDZ

Some may need a decoder ring for the “710” reference, but yeah!

chevy57dude likes this.
  30. Or stand on their heads;).

Beanscoot likes this.