Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New Daily Driver - Squarebird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by guthriesmith, Oct 9, 2020.

1. Very true! I need to look closely at it and Google the numbers on the motor. I’m sure it can’t be specific to just this application even though the places selling them would lead us to believe that.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  2. I've had the same problem with hubcaps flying off chrome smoothies on my Buick. After doing the Walk Of Shame to retrieve the errant cap from bushes, lawns, medians and sidewalks, I tried a different set. For me, it was just one cap. I could move it around from wheel to wheel, and it would fly off. I couldn't bend the tabs aggressively enough to get it to stay. The next set of caps have stayed put.

3. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

FYI, On my 55 the application of the seat motor is the same as the window motors, but the shaft ends are slightly different. (those can be modded to work for either.)
    As far as a different motor and its availability, there isn't one as yet. (that would be cheaper) Other than a complete replacement of the entire window mechanism with an aftermarket setup. I have heard positive comments about this but don't have first hand knowledge.
    I disassembled my non-working motor last nite and it doesn't look to difficult to repair based on first look and what I learned from youtube. May be fun to try it. Looks like a rough guestimate of $30-40 worth of materials? And an unknown amount of my highly valuable time. :rolleyes:

4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I saw this when I was buying a 50 Ford Coupe

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      80.8 KB
      Views:
    • 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
  5. Was that in Arkansas somewhere? Just curious. I have a couple local I need to check on as well. Never hurts to have a parts car or two stored out back especially as I am using this as a daily. You never know when some “admirer” might run me off the road or something taking a pic... :rolleyes::D

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  6. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Yes in Arkansas. Home of the Razorbacks. Don't even say anything about us not beating ya'll. lol

loudbang and guthriesmith like this.
  7. LOL! Yea...I went to the other school in Oklahoma so am not a Sooner fan anyway. ;)

alanp561, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. Well...hope I like the change... @Roothawg was swapping out the tires on the double nickel project and I scavenged the tires that came off it. The low profile 65 series tires have bothered me since I got the car. These are a more appropriate height for the car. We will see...

Borrowed Sid’s new tire machine and got them mounted. Just need to get them cleaned up and balanced in the morning.

88DFFFF3-A0A3-41AA-BDEC-0F45270ED00D.jpeg 560EE52D-E272-495E-A610-2D7733C242A5.jpeg

Sancho, kidcampbell71, drdave and 5 others like this.
  9. Nothing like cleaning them up in the dark...

2E20F655-698E-4CF7-A908-86477C8A1277.jpeg

Sancho, Dos Cincos, drdave and 4 others like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Go Pokes!

11. Decisions...decisions...

And, yea, I know it is sitting too high. It’s still up in the air. I just had to see them on it. :rolleyes:

7E111830-D61B-4A5E-95B4-397C7F0993E5.jpeg F2148834-46F0-48DD-A957-1D7436FD8599.jpeg F0147E46-A655-4AF3-B75C-E19C1CA9F732.jpeg

Squablow, Sancho, drdave and 3 others like this.
  12. Roothawg

Roothawg

You know my vote......

Looks like you may need some dubs to fill up that fender well.

13. Lol...yea, and I have extras of those.

loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  14. I like the Olds Caps the best. The non-spinner ones

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Thanks Dan. Pretty sure those are the ones I am going with. They are likely a little early for this car, but most folks won’t know any better that see it on the highway every day. :D

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

And I went to that OTHER school in Oklahoma. And its mascot, Golden Hurricane, makes absolutely no sense for a school in Oklahoma.

drdave, chryslerfan55, y'sguy and 3 others like this.
  17. Well...had to see how it drove and sat with the new tires this evening. Feels like a 4x4 since the tires are more than 2-1/2” taller than before. I like it, but think I may need to lower it now. I also need to get the hubcaps worked out, but one step at a time. :D

7E71DBD5-04E3-4274-B5B6-DE7653C7FA32.jpeg

Squablow, Sancho, okiedokie and 5 others like this.
  18. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff,

I'm kind of diggin' on the the chrome wheels. Maybe some spiders to hide the lugs, but that would be about it for me:cool:

19. Thanks. Yea, after standing back and looking at it, I like the chrome too. These are just those smoothies though and they are older and rusty. But, I was considering what I could use instead of baby moons to cover the extra holes in the wheels. I’ll figure something out. :)

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Me and my Nomad agree
    20170221_163052 (2).jpg

kidcampbell71, drdave, belair and 6 others like this.
  21. Lol...yea...I would agree too if these were chrome OE style wheels... Have you guys seen my avatar? :rolleyes:

22. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I agree. I like the OEM style too. And yes I have seen your avatar, up close and personal. Have lots of photos of it on this here computer! :D

23. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's true! Great minds DO think alike!:cool:

24. If I take a pic at just the right angle, can’t tell the wheels are the smoothies. :p

2EDD4E6D-E1F0-4AE5-93BD-D8248CF0F9AF.jpeg

I did think it was kind of a cool pic. Our old downtown is somewhat historic and can make a decent background at times. Took this one last night dropping off some bills at the post office.

Sancho, Dos Cincos, drdave and 6 others like this.
  25. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

With driving the car daily, you will have to clean the tires every time you dive it. They do get dirty. Even after only 60 miles. Unless you know a better way to keep them clean.

Sancho, Thor1, guthriesmith and 2 others like this.
  26. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Torque Thrusts!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself! :D:D:D:D

chryslerfan55, Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.
  27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mucho Better.

Thor1, guthriesmith and loudbang like this.
  28. Yea, I know. I’m an idiot...even had a Harley years ago with whitewalls and a chain... :oops:

I just figure the dirty whitewalls will match the rest of the car and get cleaned up every now and then.

My main concern is that once I now have the wide whites, I might want to keep it that way and tire cost just went up a lot with that in mind for replacements. :confused:

Sancho, drdave, stanlow69 and 2 others like this.
  29. You're hardcore Jeff, not only do you drive a car from the 50's, you pay bills like they did in the 50's! :D;)

Dos Cincos, drdave, Thor1 and 3 others like this.
  30. Keep the Chromies, and turn the tires white side in. Then get her down in the weeds.
    You were so close with this variation. Bigger rear tires, cut a coil of the front springs, and get some 3" blocks for the rear, and the bird will be perfect.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Thor1 and guthriesmith like this.