Register now to get rid of these ads!

Breaking of the (racing) drought.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Nov 12, 2020.

1. spanners

spanners

Finally a break in the racing drought. Gunnedah 31 Oct- 1st November 2020. With an easing of the travel restrictions Tamworth Drag Racing Club has been able to host a couple of race meetings. The last one was in August but I chose not to go due to impending weather predictions. As it was I chose well. They had intermittent rain all weekend and where I live we had torrential rain and strong winds which blew the wind vane off the shed roof. Not good towing weather especially with an enclosed trailer.
    This time the predictions were better and as I've now got a 7 hour drive on our poor excuse for main highways I was hopeful. The Crew Chief stayed home as she had grandaughter minding duties. We shifted to the country town of Temora back in March so it's doubled the travel time and distance but you do what you have to for a racing fix.
    Slept in the trailer overnight and good weather on Saturday so things were good to go. A couple of gentle runs to suss out how the car would run, and if the driver still knew what to do, and it felt good.
    I couldn't get the 91 0ctane fuel that I normally use so 94 it had to be. Turned out to be a bad choice.
    I won't post too many videos from Saturday as they weren't uploading properly (rusty camera operator) my five runs were between 9.17 and 9.3 with a missed gear 9.6. Car was sounding alright but not crisp but I put that down to a bit of stale fuel in the tank.
    Sunday was qualifying runs and the first run was another 9.199. Still not running quite right.

Second run I jump in, hit the starter and engine fires and revs it's head off. A stone had got past the mesh screens in the intake tubes and was holding one butterfly open. After careful disassembly of the carby, I was ready to race but missed the qualifying run. It was at this moment I put the 91 octane that I'd got that morning in the tank and went out for the next qualifying run. Engine sounded better and I ran 8.992.

Because of the quicker run I dialed a 8.95 for the first race and of course I ran even quicker @ 8.944. Back on the trailer and headed home.
    All in a good weekend's racing and nice to be catching up with mates I haven't seen for over 12 months.

My apologies for the late models in the videos as it's what I race against at this event.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Crosley likes this.
  2. spanners

spanners

Youtube has changed it's format so the videos didn't come out right but I'll investigate.

3. spanners

spanners

Fixed it!
    In case anyone is wondering why I use 91 octane fuel it's because I had it on a dyno a while back and the dyno operator suggested running 98 octane. There was an immediate drop of 10 H.P. with 98 but the H.P. came back when putting the 91 back in. These engines had 6.5 compression ratio when produced 70 years ago and this engine is probably around 8.5 so doesn't benefit from higher octane fuel.

Crosley likes this.
  4. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Great vids, looks like a fun meet. Please disregard the fact that I jealously hate anyone able to race at the moment. ;)

I also knocked off some E.T. when I went back to "regular" out of laziness one time. The long stroke of these old mills definitely does like a bit longer burning gas. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Crosley likes this.

5. spanners

spanners

Don't worry Dick, your turn will come. I must admit, as soon as I tightened the belts and hit the starter button it felt so good to be doing it again.

Crosley likes this.
  6. BS!

BS!

Glad you got a meet in. Im dying to get mine to the track for its first run. Seeing these videos and hearing that old grey gets me even more keen.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Crosley likes this.
  7. spanners

spanners

Reckon you'll make it to Kooralbyn in February Brendon ? I hope to be there.

Crosley likes this.
  8. BS!

BS!

I've entered and it aligns with my swing/r&r so pending no border closures preventing me from getting home and back to work I'll be there.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

9. spanners

spanners

Looks like I was too slow getting entered. Carralbyn is fully booked. I might get up there for a lookey see.

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

My track has three two-day nostalgia races scheduled this season. That, combined with 14 points bracket races and a 4-day trip to Indy for the bracket finals (if I qualify) means I'm racing every weekend this (northern hemisphere) summer except for the Fourth of July. Nice to be back up on full speed again.

11. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Excellent! :cool:

Things're only just considering thinking about possibly perhaps eventually getting around to opening back up here ........ maybe. After all, L.A.'s pretty much a designated hotbed of virus paranoia these days. :rolleyes:

Other than that, it's a cold & wet day here anyway, and my "second shot" yesterday's delivering on its "achy/brakey" (pun quite intentional ;)) promise today. Feel like I may be related to Sam McGee for the day.

Hope you don't mind if I hate you temporarily. Jealousy'll do that, ya know. :D

Crosley likes this.
  12. spanners

spanners

Well Dick, if it makes you feel any better I'm racing this weekend.:D

Crosley likes this.
  13. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The day after my second jab I got the convulsive chills so bad I couldn't hold a glass of water. the next day I slept most of the day. Now I'm back to just feeling tired like usual. Your results may vary.

14. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Well, that's the ideal. Or so the Docs say. Means our bodies' immune systems finally recognized the virus, and took up the fight. And're now ready to recognize & fight it if'n when it tries to get us.
    Indeed, I've had better days though. :rolleyes:

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Oh yeah, THAT helps. Now where'd I stash those razor blades & bourbon? :(
    :D

16. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Tucson Dragway in Tucson Arizona has been running some races.. No Spectators allowed since the track is on Pima County land and the Board of Supervisors would not allow people to gather outdoors. Of course golf tournaments have been allowed in Phoenix AZ.. This past week the OK from Pima County for Tucson Dragway to have "limited" amount of spectators. LOL I have "heard" recently there were some race cars and crews at the track altho those certain race cars did not race .. So the "crew" hung around for the races.... almost like spectators but not spectators. Funny stuff I tell ya.. Face coverings are still required on the County land

17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Au contraire.
    I travelled across the country to the 2020 Eagle Field Drags in hopes of seeing The Flyin' Brick race. Maybe 2021?

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well, I got notice last week my home track is closing. So racing plans are on hold.

19. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yeah, I got screwed out of the only race last year by float priorities. Hoping for '21. :)

Now, our hometown track (the new 'Dale) just mailed out a notice that they're opening the circle track, with conditions of course. Though no word yet on their strip (1/8 mi.). Nearest 1/4 mi.'s the "Pit" (new Fontana). No word from them at all.

Sucks to hear another one falling to the times.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021