Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Shop Gremlins; do you have them?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 34Larry

34Larry

Still puttin my ride back together after the trans fiasco last fall and summer, and I encountered those little bastard "shop gremlins"........... once again. Just wondering if it is others, or if just us chosen few have them living and hiding in the dark places of your shop as I do.
    They will lay in wait in the dark places and when something hits the floor it can disappear in a fraction of a heart beat. Gone they got it and you'll never see it again.

Example #1. Laying underneath putting the driveline back in. There is a spacer between the shaft and the pumpkin because the folks at drivelines NW made mine an inch shorter than I told them to. No problem though. So for that reason I have (4) 3/8 by 2-1/2 bolts for the hook up, or at least I thought I did. There were four when I crawled under there, but then there were only three. I crawled out, looked high and low, three different times and never did find where # (4) got off to. There's been many a time that I drop a nut or something to the floor only to have it disappear in to another dimension, never to be seen again. So I ask; Is it just my good fortune to be blessed with this curse or do others of you enjoy the task of these happenings as I have the good fortune to live with, or is it just me.? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2. partssaloon

partssaloon

At least you are loosing them, I crawl under the car and wonder what I was there for.

ElmCityGeoff, reagen, Oilguy and 14 others like this.
  3. 5window

5window

At least you can fit under your car! :)

reagen, juan motime, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

No hope for me then,,,I have all of these problems:eek:

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Jeez Larry you think you special? I find a part and I don't know where it came from or what its for!

6. 34Larry

34Larry

This is getting really funny.:D

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

No it's not just you Larry. The gremlins that live in my garage immediately run out and take whatever I drop, it can be a nut, bolt or tool and move it to the center of the car to exactly where I can't reach it. If I'm under the car, on my back they take the tool and hide it under me so that I need to crawl out and retrieve it. Little bastards!

mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I'm moving...actually, I've moved. While sorting out the leftover crap in the old shop, I found where the gremlins hid some of the missing parts. But most of them seem to be gone forever!

X-cpe, catdad49, reagen and 6 others like this.
  9. 34Larry

34Larry

Thanks Jim, you've answered another question. There a lot of "big guns" on this site such as your self, compared to me and I thought that maybe it was just those who fits the average "car nut" ranking that experienced this and that those gremlins just knew better than to mess with you guys.

chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. 3quarter32

3quarter32

I was lucky some years ago, and had a dog that would pick up anything thrown or dropped and bring it to me. Also he would sometimes hang out at the diesel shop next door.. If the mechanics there would drop something, he would bring it straight to me. Ahhh, all Snap-On tools. As soon as I got a break, I would of course return them.

11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha ha, no I don't believe in gremlins...but I do believe in alternate universes...and that's where half my stuff has gone:(

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

is this what you are looking for? 20210302_131337.jpg

13. squirrel

squirrel

that's new stuff from the hardware store, those parts didn't come off an old car.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

15. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

20201220_092742.jpg I had a gremlin unhook the ground from my choke just this week. Just posted about it, lol.

I actually do have a gremlin that steals my tools. He's 6 years old. I don't want to dissuade his love for tools but the "put them back" speech isn't sinking in yet....

When I was a kid if I didn't put a tool away dad would throw it at me, and that's no joke! Lol...

16. Tools, parts, hardware, my coffee cup, safety glasses......

being on the road I think if I empty out my van I’ll find the 4679954865433688 rolls of electrical tape and Teflon tape I’ve bought over the years!!!
    Seems I get one use of each and just POOF!!
    Damn gremlins !

17. Not only do I have gremlins in my shop at home but they follow me to my job and that shop. If I get my hands on one, that gremlin is going to get an ass beating.:mad::D

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shop Gremlin?
    Kinda like a shop truck?
    "ork-ork"

You know what my gremlins do? Remember that old trick... two people get on either end of a rope and pull it tight to trip somebody? That's what my gremlins do with my air hoses and extension cords.
    They're out to get me.

19. Budget36

Budget36

Reminds me of a joke.
    Two passengers on an airplane that’s going to crash, pilot has a heart attack and dies. One parachute. First guy is a priest, says to the other guy “take the parachute my son, I’m close to god and will be all right”

Other guy says “naw, you take it Father, I’m an electrician, I’ll jump out and my extension cord will tangle up on something “

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

there was a video on here a couple years ago showing a mouse cleaning up stuff on the bench and putting it in a tray

Stogy, seb fontana, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  21. jimpopper

jimpopper

Lost a short quarter inch bolt one time. Fine thread so the bolt bin couldn't help. Looked until way past bed time. Went to remove my shoes and it was stuck in my vibram sole. Guess I stepped on it right away. That's a couple hours I'll never get back.

22. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I spent a good hour looking for a pair of goggles that were on my forehead once.

23. buford_59

buford_59

The gremlins in my shop seem to have taken lessons from your guys gremlins. I wish I could find that lost bolt, nut, etc. in my shoe, jacket, etc. etc. at the end of the day. They never show up until I've gone out and gotten a new/replacement. I'm at a point where I'm going to tie idiot strings to my tools especially anything that is 1/2 or 9/16. The other day my wife mentioned teflon tape and I said I've got at least 6 rolls in the shop and she said that's okay, I've got 3 in the junk drawer.

DDDenny, love the shoot of the bolt & nut drawer. I know we all have one of those, but when I saw the pic ILMAO. Being a retired carpenter, I finally got ride or the coffee can full of bent nails.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face 34Larry.

DoUg

24. oldolds

oldolds

Them sneaky son-of-a-guns always bring that lost thing back right after I buy another one.

mad mikey and VANDENPLAS like this.

25. That's a good looking gremlin you have there. He's headed in a good direction.
    Do both of you a favor: go HF (or the discount store of your choice) and buy him a rudimentary set of wrenches. Mark them (paint or tape, or better yet, engrave his name on them) so he can easily identify 'his' tools, and let him have at it.
    As a kid I didn't have my own tools so I used my Dad's. He had shown me what I could and couldn't use, and I was good to go. I'm sure I lost some of 'his' tools, but he never complained (as most of the tools were cheap, second hand), he tolerated my carelessness in order to let me learn and expand my horizons. He was really great that way. Lost him 50+ years ago and still miss him every day.

26. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_0697.JPG
    Here's my gremlin, a Lab puppie. He's now 7 months and tall enough to get stuff off the benches. Anything below 4 foot is fair game. He lives in my shop. He has his own doggie door to outside. I'm waiting for the snow to melt to find all the stuff he has drug out. If I open the door to that car, he is in it. Can't keep him out. ORNERY!

6-bangertim, catdad49, reagen and 4 others like this.
  27. rusty valley

rusty valley

here's the mouse. he must like things neat and tidy

28. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C'mon guys...25 post and no "shop Gremlins"?
    zzzgrem.jpg

williebill, 5window, catdad49 and 5 others like this.
  29. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Had one like that back in the seventies.

hotrodjack33 and mad mikey like this.
  30. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was just a stolen internet photo, not my drawer, but I do have the typical coffee cans (4) of misc that I've saved over a fifty year period.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.