Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your state require a front license plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Ohio recently repealed their law.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Not in Indiana. Many years ago I was driving my ‘66 GTO w a state issued license plate on the rear per law and an Indiana 1966 plate on the front. Cop came into where I worked and asked about the plates. We went out and I went to give him my registration, proof of insurance and license but all he wanted to do was to check the car out, sit in it, hear it, etc. He did say it was illegal but he didn’t even give me a written warning. I removed it the same night since as a teen I didn’t need any more trouble (I had enough just driving it Lol). Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Yes in NJ, though not with "QQ" tags for an antique, defined as 25 years old or older. However, it can be tricky getting QQ tags because the car can have no modifications to it whatsoever. So I generally just run regular tags and leave the front plate off and see if they bust my balls. I've never had the issue with a classic, but after getting pulled over twice in my daily I put the plate back on.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. wicarnut

wicarnut

Wisconsin/No

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

If you are running truck tags over 12k or YOM plate from years with only one plate this is true, but otherwise MO issues two plates and will ticket if they get in the mood. They don't seem to enforce it unless you are being a jackwagon (at least around here), or if they are just looking for something to do. BTDT.

Edit: Truck tags over 12k, not 18k.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Chicster and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you license your car as a regular auto then yes, Wa does.
    If you license the car as a collector vehicle then they do not. In fact when you receive your collector plate they do not even provide a front plate. You can also use a YOM plate but it must match the year of the vehicle and again no front plate required.
    All of my cars other than the DD's do not legally run front plates.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Isn’t that how it always is? Funny I’ve not been pulled over for a good 25 years or so, I think getting older and “somewhat “ responsible has to do with being perceived as a Jackwagon;).

rpm56, HOTRODPRIMER and Nostrebor like this.
  8. The only year you were issued one plate was 1945 (or 1945 with a '46 tab), that's it. If your issued 2 plates to technically have to run them. I used to get LOTS of "fix it" tickets for no front plates in the 90's....when they were free.

How they enforce it is up to the individual officer.

Cosmo50, rpm56, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  9. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Not in Oklahoma

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

4B6B4C66-D634-49F1-8AF5-B3897AAE7B43.jpeg Cali, yes. Do I run one, no

Nostrebor and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Not in Michigan. It seems to come up every few years, regardless of state. I believe companies that make traffic photo equipment try to get these laws passed so they can sell their equipment to police departments. Just a money grab.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. 4ty

4ty

CT requires two. I ran both plates (YOM) on my Model A, both vanity plates (ITZA4TY) on my 40, my 300C only one as on the front is a 300c plate. Pretty lax enforcement though.
    Paul in CT

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Mt Mike

Mt Mike

I'm supposed to in Cali from what I understand but I don't
    run front plates on either the 30 Model A or the 40 Chevy coupe. Too much uglyness! As a matter of fact I haven't removed the 89 Montana plate on the 30 since I left up there. I've been to Mexico twice, all over hell and gone around cali. I call it, (the Montana plate) my "cloaking device". I do have it licensed in Cali now but carry the plate under the seat. I've never been pestered about it, (knock on wood). It's so hard to make changes ya know.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front plate required in NY...it's just another Motor Vehicle Law that I ignore:cool:

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

About 10 years or so ago I was riding with my son when he was driving my Dad and my step mom to the airport. His OT ricer was registered in my name since he wasn't 18. A CHP pulled him over on the freeway for tinted front windows (I told him not to do it since tinted front windows are illegal in CA but of course he wouldn't listen). Anyway, the Chippie wrote him a fix it ticket for the widow tint but before he had my son sign it he walked around to the front of the car checked for a front plate. Didn't say a word to me. All the young ricer types didn't run a front plate on this particular car for "looks". My son listened to his old man for once and bought a kit to relocate the front plate to the side of the grille. Not to say my son was profiled AND front window tint and no front license plate is still a no no in CA. Unless of course you're driving a Vette, Beemer or other fancy car, then it seems like you get a pass. With all the crazy drivers in CA you'd think there were more important violations to deal with but what do I know.

16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Not in Pennsylvania.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Arkansas rear plate only. That way one can put a Razorback plate on the front.
    Vintage-Arkansas-Razorbacks-Go-Hogs-Go-Embossed-Metal.jpg

18. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

Front plate required in AK. I will say they dont inforce it. I have been pulled over once without one. No ticket was issued.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Yes in my province.

When I was young and irresponsible I put some random junkyard plate on the front of the car and backed into parking spots, so if I stayed too long the ticket got written to the bogus plate.
    This was before the meter readers could or would look up the car info on the street.

Another time I was travelling to the US with a farmer friend and the customs agent asked why he had two different plates on his truck. My friend pled being dumb (correct) and the agent let us proceed. This was before the border got tightened.

Mt Mike, cfmvw and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Yes,required in Illinois. I’ve never run one on my coupe and never been stopped for the lack of one.;) I do however don’t push my luck with our DD’s.

Mt Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I like to idea of no tag on the front.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

No In Idaho...Too Many Rebels... CHANGE 2014 019.JPG

23. Yep, in Manitoba we have to have both. When I started driving in the 60s, I thought the car looked better with the front plate off. I got shit for that a few times and then just kept it on all the time. After getting used to needing two plates the province decided we only need one plate - good I thought. That didn't last long though, the next time they issued new plates it was back to needing two plates. I guess it's easier for the cops running plate readers to get oncoming traffic.

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  24. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

NY depends with YOM plates. Some years around of WWII and Korea metal shortage saw only 1 plate issued. You got to go by what was issued that year. Been stopped twice by young officers not having ever heard of read about it. It in their pocket book of traffic laws. One was nice read the section said he was sorry and drove off. The other issued the ticket and I had to waste time going to court and week g the DA to get it tossed.

Mt Mike and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Front and back in Texas, plus a yearly registration sticker in the lower driver's side windshield for "Classic Plates".
    I believe for "Antique Plates" you don't have to have the window sticker or yearly safety inspection. I'll have to check about the front plate deal. (?)
    For "Classic" you have unlimited road trips. But for "Antique" you get car show and maintenance trips only, no cruising allowed.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Callmaker

Callmaker

No in Tenn. Just a John Deere tag!!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Maybe?
    46.2-730 of Virginia.
    C. Notwithstanding the provisions of §§ 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display single license plates if the original manufacturer's design of the antique motor vehicles allows for the use of only single license plates or if the license plate was originally issued in one of the following years and is displayed in accordance with the provisions of subsection B: 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1945, or 1946.

DSCN1791 (2).jpg

28. cfmvw

cfmvw

Maine requires a front plate. For my 1960 VW, I had a European plate made to match the license plate, running that on the front and the Maine plate on the back. Been that way for years, never got bothered about it. I did get pulled over once for not displaying a state inspection sticker by a new cop who didn't know that antique auto registrations are exempt from that.

I also learned recently that Maine issued a single steel plate for 1944 because of wartime steel shortages.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

If you have collector plates, Minnesota only requires a plate on the rear.

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.