Register now to get rid of these ads!

History ORLAN MILLER T BUCKET

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Green Voodoo, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

This cool drag style 23 T Bucket was built in about 1967 by Orlan Miller from Ohio and shown throughout the mid-west.

Does anyone have any information / history of the T or photos from the 1960s ? image44.jpeg ?

2. gonzo

gonzo

No info but it sure is rad.

3. catdad49

catdad49

4. Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

My dad built the the car, I am trying to find where it is now. I have pictures from when he was building it.

matt miller text 330-28nine-o53six

5. catdad49

catdad49

C’mon, Matt! Show ‘em, pics are what we Love.

6. Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

I need to dig them up, I will post when I do

kidcampbell71, catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  7. nsra17

nsra17

Probably some time around 1964-1966. I lived about 30 miles from Orlan. I had a t-bucket and we competed against each other at a lot of shows. His bucket was really beautiful, I could never beat him.

You might try to locate Bruce Stauffer, he helped Orlan at the shows. Last time I had contact with Bruce he lived near Stone Creek, Ohio

8. gonzo

gonzo

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure beats a Velvet Elvis eh...;)

kidcampbell71 and catdad49 like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-2.jpg

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-12.jpg

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-7.jpg

http://classiccardb.com/ford/485773...ket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned.html

:rolleyes:...this is obviously the once or twice repurposed T in the OP...

Don't know how old this ad is 2017 is mentioned and I suspect its moved on but one thing I will say, I am hugely thankful for the archives of these sites as it really helps connect the dots...

Quoted below it's origin and more recent story from the ad...

" I have decided to sell this historic Hot Rod that took me year's to locate and purchase!!! Yes this is a REAL Barn Find as you will see in the picture's. This 23 "T" was originally built/completed by Orlan Miller of Dover, Ohio in 1967. He made a custom frame, Interior, Top, Metal Flake Paint, 1965 Vette 327 Dual Quad backed by a 4 Speed and 57 Chevy 4.11 Posi Rear. After completed in 67 this 23 "T" traveled 15,000+ mile's and attended 20+ major ISCA and other Car Show's where it won 17 Trophies for "Best Paint", "Best Engineered", and "Best in Show" for 1967 alone. It was also awarded overall 11th best out of hundred's of other Show Car's in competition. Then in 1968 it graced the cover and major article in "1001 Rod's" following many more year's of winning till 1973.
    In 1973 the 23 "T" was sold to a young man, car enthusiast, who would later become an accomplished Actor, Stunt Man, Writer and great friend. He wanted to frame off restore the 23 "T" to his liking yet keep the awesomeness and DNA that it already was known for in earlier year's. He named the 23"T" "Chuck's T", rebuilt, re-chromed, and re-painted again in Metal Flake with Candy Flame's!!!! The drivetrain was rebuilt and all reinstalled as it was previously! "Chuck's T" went on throughout the 1970's again winning "Best Paint", Best Undercarriage" and "Best in Show by Hot Rod Magazine and many top ISCA Show's like the NY Coliseum in NYC. The Summer of 1978 Magazine "Hi-Performance Rod's" did a huge multi-page article and photo's of "Chuck's T". In 1980 "Chuck's T" was sold to a friend's family member where in sat in storage till 2007. The "T" unfortunately had the rear Halibrand Magnesium 4 window Wheel's switched with Cregar's and the side body Lantern's were removed. I do have a contact for the same exact wheel's if the new owner would like to purchase them. Similar Lantern's can be purchased on Ebay cheap.

In 2007, "Chuck's T" was sold to a friend of mine who placed in again in long term storage till was purchased it in 2017. Once home, I had it primed, new oil/filter(heavy zinc break in) and a quick going over before she fired right up and ran surprisingly with great oil pressure and little to no smoke after sitting for 35+ year's. I have acquired lot's of new/NOS part's that would be needed to freshen the Hot Rod up and make road worthy including new front original Avon Speed Masters Mark 2 Tire's. The rear tire's "Firestone" were also replaced due to dry rot flat's and will need new one's. The "T" has been completely cleaned and since it's last restoration 47 year's ago, the car is amazingly in nice unrestored original condition however it is need of elbow grease, brake's, tune up, and some minor touch up's. The car run's well and can drive however its best to go over the entire "T" to ensure it's road worthy.
    Finally, here is a chance to own a piece of Hot Rod history and one of the most award winning Hot Rod's in the last 50 year's. Joe "

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  11. gonzo

gonzo

Thanks for finding those @Stogy
    Such awesome pictures. How cool are those carb scoop cozies?

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-13.jpg

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your welcome and yes they are @gonzo, that's some quality parts on there...quite an interesting manifold it reminds me of my Edelbrock X1 but in cross 4 x 4...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-1.jpg

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-6.jpg

1923-ford-model-t-bucket-hot-street-rod-celebrity-built-owned-3.jpg

This is still Hamb Friendly in its leaning 70s guise, was it a Hamber's? Maybe a Thread here I missed? Bit of a Kookie moment...I'd go back to the Original...maybe somewhere in between...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt for a shout out to @Matthew Miller, welcome to the Hamb and just a further message to let you know we look forward to your sharing whatever details you can find to compliment the history of your Dads Cool T shared by @Green Voodoo...

Was that Mom on the Slick?

I must say much of it's former self shines through its current status...Do you have any interest in having it in your Garage?

I'm curious if Joe's a Hamber and was it Sold?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    kidcampbell71, harpo1313 and catdad49 like this.
  15. Stogy likes this.
  16. Matthew Miller

Matthew Miller

02454B70-CCFB-4A45-BB3E-78826D981C82.jpeg I do have interest having it in my garage. That is not my mom on the tire. A model for the photo shoot. I have contacted Chuck Zito who bought it from my dad in 73 ish. This was before chuck became an actor and stuntman etc. the last ad was I think in 2019 when a gentleman named Joe was selling it. Joe is a friend of Chuck and Chuck said Joe sold it. The trail ends there. For now. The 2 pictures are me and my sister in it spring of 1970 and the neighborhood kids ( me on the trike) at my house because dad would make their bicycles into choppers and there were always hot rods around. I will try to find pics of the building of it.

matt

6517B306-A835-484D-A474-B67A9DA3E53D.jpeg

17. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Orlan Miller T bucket post 1968 FRONT.jpg Orlan Miller T bucket side post 1968.jpg Orlan Miller T bucket post 1968 REAR.jpg Orlan Miller T bucket post 1968 interior.jpg

These photos were sent me to me by Matt Miller - son of the late Orlan Miller the builder of this fabulous 60's T bucket.

The car is remarkably well preserved as first built - save for the slicks & wheel combination (10.00 x 16 ) and the cowl /side lamps which were not with the car when found.

If anyone can help with the side lamps and or slicks wheel combination - please send me PM ( private message).

Will consider 15 inch rims in similar width, as well as other 60s style mag wheels, i.e. American Racing (i.e.5 spoke polished) , Halibrand, Palemides, Radir, ET, etc. etc. which complement the style of this killer 60s T.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So @Green Voodoo I'm assuming you have this T in your possession across the pond...you didn't clarify that but that's what I'm believing and well congratulations...the fact you're restoring it is also admirable...

You are keeping it at the 2 Scoop iteration or bringing it back to the Ohios Pride look which has a number of different details such as scoop, paint, and pipes and perhaps more...

kidcampbell71 and panhead_pete like this.
  19. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Stogy - I am the current custodian of the Orlan Miller T. The car is now in Melbourne Australia. The photos posted today show the car with the cross ram ( 2 scoop) but all other details save for some additional chrome (i.e. rear end ) are essentially the same as when the car was featured in 1968 as "Ohio's Pride"

I'm into preservation and I like the style of the car as Orlan Miller built it and subsequently modified it slightly from the original build by replacing the triples with the cross ram and adding chrome to the rear end. I also like the original Royal Blue paint.

I propose to refit the original side lamps, redo the exhaust and fit the correct size slicks on the rear as it was in the magazine feature in 68. I may redo the paint in due course.

20. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Super cool car...inquiring minds want to know....whats up with the valve covers? Small block Chevy engine with center bolt valve covers...as shown on the cover of that magazine in 1968? The look kind of like a cross between Mickey Thompson/Moon/Ansen valve covers..

Screenshot_20211010-024251_Chrome.jpg

21. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

The valve covers are still on the car. I'm not aware who made them. If I discover their origin I will post the information.

22. Zito also had a pretty radical 57 Chevy at one time. The guy did like his high profile hotrods. Funny that the ad didn't mention the ex-body guard, ex-con, NY Hells Angels(President) history, while touting the stuntman/actor/writer hollywood connection. Might have widened the market for potential buyers....

23. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

The T has survived essentially as built by Orlan Miller, the only obvious difference is the custom paint work and cowl/side lamps.

This car like all well known Hot Rods should be attributed to the original builder ( manufacturer), in this case Orlan Miller who laid out the design and executed the fabrication of the T as it remains today.

Chuck Zito obviously had a good eye and rather than redesigning the T - he retained the car in its original configuration but enhanced the look with the radical custom paint job during his ownership.

Essentially the T still retains the DNA of Orlan Miller's imagination and handiwork and should be preserved and referenced accordingly in my view.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Nads, quick85, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  24. ^^^^^^^^^^^
    Not knocking the car, or the original builder. It's a super T. Just commenting on the sellers selective memory in writing the ad, since he felt it necessary to mention Zito.

Tman and loudbang like this.
  25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Green Voodoo thanks for aligning the stars...

You have my utmost admiration for taking the steps to bring it back to it's initial configuration because it talks to you for all the right reasons that way...

This situation reminds me of that saying you know it when you see it...

This Hotrod is very fortunate...please share your journey with its resurrection...I always feel for family members related to these old Hotrod/Customs that have the same bug we have and search out the dreams that would be a spiritual connection to they're family. I'm sure Matt will be following and very happy at a minimum knowing what love your going to give it...

We have seen this happening with a number of long entombed classics that have surfaced over the years...

It's truly a part of the appreciation we celebrate here...Thank you

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  26. Anderson

Anderson

[​IMG]

Glad I came across this, I had this picture from the ‘68 Detroit Autorama of the car. Good to know it’s still around!

EVL401, Stogy, sko_ford and 5 others like this.
  27. RodStRace

RodStRace

It's so great when the really nice ones have been able to survive thru the years.
    Green voodoo, we would love to see some current pictures, if possible.
    Dusty to freshly detailed, it doesn't matter.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  28. Bruce Stauffer

Bruce Stauffer

A nephew of Orlan's brought this to my attention a few days ago. Orlan was a very good friend of mine. We hauled that car all over the eastern United States in 1967 and early 1968. Some of the work done on the car happened in my farm shop. I had given up on ever knowing what happened to the car and am really glad to see that it still exists and that preserving it is a priority. I've moved from car shows to performance cars to tractor pulling and have settled into a fleet of preserved Model T's (have 7) that we drive a lot. Thanks to all who see the value in preservation. We are simply caretakers of those gems. I would really appreciate any updates on Orlan's "T Anytime" as it was called back then. My email address is [email protected].

29. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

That is a great photo, thanks for sharing.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  30. Green Voodoo

Green Voodoo
    from Melbourne

Bruce to learn that you hung around with Orlan during the time the T was built makes preserving this fabulous T all the more worthwhile. I'm looking forward to compiling as much history on Orlan's T as possible. Do you have any stories or photos of the car back in the day, you would like to share? Mike Nicholas

Nads, loudbang and Stogy like this.