Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 28, 2021.

1. larry k

larry k

My senior year in high school I got a 25 $ loud exhaust ticket,I had no fine money. so I talked to a guy in my auto shop class . his dad was chief of police. He said he would ask his dad to fix my ticket ? He said to bring my ticket to the station, I did ,chief said let see your ticket, now let me see your license ,put both in the desk and said you drive that loud ass hot rod home and don’t drive till you get it quiet and you bring it back so I can hear it......!!!!!! And ill give you your licence back !!!! and the next time you and my son try to run the police dept ,,,,,,Remember this.....

2. Rick, that truck sounds sweet, you certainly don't need mufflers! :)HRP

Petejoe, Ron Funkhouser and 3W JOHN like this.
  3. I tried explaining my exhaust views to students. They give me an eye roll when I tell em I’m not a fan of straight pipes on stock vehicles.
    A performance engine with uncapped headers is not the same as a Z71 with no mufflers.
    We might have to take a field trip to a drag strip so I can explain it better.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  4. Danny when I posted that about my Merc. I had the 300/hp engine
    it, The year was 1979 & it still has the Same engine in it except
    I have a Complete dual exhaust system with Glass Pack's
    I was going to run side Pipes but Life took a turn for the worst

Dom

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Are you ? Or maybe you are special and feel that you’re smarter and more grown up than the rest of the gang and that your opinion matters more than everyone else’s.

Maybe because the sound of a sweet V8 is music to some hot rodders ears and it’s something that they grew up loving and it might even be considered traditional to old time hot rods.

:eek: No thanks :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Triumphs too.;)

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. Truckedup

Truckedup

That's why my junk has mufflers...Except for the race bikes...

LAROKE and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've got auger style baffles in the lakes headers on my A, they sound great to me, kind of like open exhaust, but about 10db lower volume. Just right.

31hotrodguy and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I don't hear so good anymore so loud muffles make me happy.

11. When I had the Rocky33 I actually had a cop tell me how nice it sounded. Around here there are so many loud Harleys that a hot rod with a semi responsible adult in it gets no bad attention.

31hotrodguy, AHotRod, wraymen and 4 others like this.
  12. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I use two basic exhaust systems for my Fairlane the first is a set of glass pack header mufflers with turn downs and the other is a set or turbo mufflers that turn down just before the axle. The glass packs have been my favorite for 45 years and back in the day we would space them away from the headers by a few washers or so for a Friday night. Now the current 289 has a cam that idles at 800 but sounds like your shaking a coffee can full of lug nuts and is anything but quite, I intend on running race bullets after the headers.
    I love setting off car alarms...

13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I always considered loud exhausts on a bike to be a safety feature. Distracted drivers may not see you, but they will hear you.

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Around here back in the 60s you would get a loud ans unusual ticket all up to the officer. A school mate got 6 in one month running glass packs the state finally defined exhaust laws. Kansas law sez must have mufflers and must be less than 95 disables at 150 feet.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I ran the A pickup for about 6 months with open lakes headers. It was fun, but it got annoying, and it made my ears ring after about a 45 minute drive. Installing baffles into the lake headers brought the volume down to the just right level. It's is quiet enough that I have no fears of getting a ticket for loud exhaust, but loud enough that you can definitely hear it, it's not just a whooooossssshhhhhh of muffled exhaust gasses.

kadillackid and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Yes, went there when the car was running lake headers and the turnout mufflers. I’m just around the airport so it’s super close.

Cliff Ramsdell

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. That is pretty darn loud at 150 feet!

18. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I would love to share but I dont have a YouTube account and dont really want to open one. I wish there was another option for posting a video.

31hotrodguy and Ned Ludd like this.
  19. sunbeam

sunbeam

Yes it is that's OSHAs limit for protection for 4 hours of a work day.

20. Deuces

Deuces

I wake my neighbors up every morning during the week at 5:15 am..... :D:(

21. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

Yes they shoulda known better but how many chances do you get to race your 70 year old dad down the road?!? My dads gone now and id give anything to race him fown the street right in front of the cops!!! Sometimes a impound fee and a nighg in jail wigh your old man makes for a hell of a good story to tell later!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. grumpy65

grumpy65

I think there is a difference as to what is acceptable on a race track, and what is acceptable on the street. Sometimes the line gets very blurred. Reasonably loud is ok, super loud is probably not. Remember, we share the road...;)

23. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Up until about 2 years ago, when a tree branch fell on me, breaking my collar bone and 4 ribs, I had been riding motorcycles since I was about 10 years old. The first was my brother's hand-me-down 1964 Yamaha 80/w expansion chamber. My next was a 1966 Honda 305 Scrambler, and I admit I thought it sounded great with baffles/mufflers removed. Some had Snuff-or-Nots installed that could be opened/closed. Later, I would occasionally pull a baffle on my 1970 Kawasaki 500 Mach lll. Later, still, I swapped the stock exhausts on my 1973 Yamaha 650 Twin for a two-into-one header. My last bike was a BMW R1100S. The previous owner had replaced the cat-equipped mid-pipe with a straight pipe, but the muffler was stock. It no longer sounded like a sewing machine, but no one ever complained that it was too loud. At no time, did I ever believe that having loud pipes save lives. You're just as likely, if not more so, to startle a motorist, causing that person to become distracted, possibly losing control, steering into you, rather than away, etc. I'm now 66, so that means I rode motorcycles for over 50 years. My stepfather will be 83 on St. Patrick's Day. He rides a BMW R1150R several times a week. Guess what? His exhaust is completely stock.

The only time I drove a car without mufflers was when the header pipe on my 1970 BMW 2002 broke. It didn't remain that way for long.

By the way, I am retired federal law enforcement. The primary reason we have so many people locked up is because they believed they had the right to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, and to whomever they wanted. There are many times more people with the same mentality that are not behind bars.

It is quite possible to enjoy cars and motorcycles without becoming a public nuisance.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  24. BMW bikes and 2002's, you may be in the wrong place?

25. 55blacktie

55blacktie

26. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Tman, I also have a 1955 Ford Thunderbird that's been in my family for 50+ years. You've completely missed the point.

Cosmo50 and Guy Patterson like this.
  27. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I never liked real loud, those damn rice burners with the stove pipe sticking out of the back really get on my nerves. Sounds like a souped up weed eater.

Blue One and AHotRod like this.
  28. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

A few years ago my BIL and I road tripped to an out of town event. While he was waiting for me at the filling station next to the freeway on ramp Ronnie got the bright idea to uncork the cut outs on his 490 horse stroked 340 Swinger with 3:91 gears. He motioned for me to lead the way so I jumped on the interstate and settled in for the 2 hour drive at the posted 70mph speed limit. About 30 minutes in he decided to pull along side and pace me. At highway speed the exhaust note was ear splitting. I’d slow down, he’d slow down. I sped up, he’d speed up. Finally I pulled off in a rest area to get rid of some coffee and he fell in behind me. I asked WTF are you trying to do, destroy whatever hearing I have left? He didn’t realize how truly obnoxious it was and apologized profusely. Being a car guy, I get it. But I can only imagine what other motorists on the interstate thought of his antics that morning, surely they were not impressed...

29. I figured as much. Just razzing you. The Bimmers while cool were bad examples ;)

30. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what the average Harley rider will tell you. In full disclosure I rode Harleys for about 50 years. If your thinking was accurate why is it that there are Honda Gold Wings out there? You'd think all of then would have been wrecked by now.

Just Gary likes this.