Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rodders journal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ROBERT JAM, Oct 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Understood however I think that is nothing more than wishful thinking.

2. OK....continue with the complaining......

rod1 likes this.
  3. rastahmann

rastahmann
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Orem, Utah

TRJ is a great magazine, but they seem to have struggled to fulfill orders over the last couple of years. I'm a life member and bought the 25th anniversary package back in 2019. I did receive the sweatshirt and the COA (nearly a year after the order), but am still wondering when my garage banner will arrive. I placed the order exactly two years ago this Sunday and haven't heard any response to my emails to TRJ customer service.

Great magazine, and feel like it's good to support them in other ways - just disappointed in their fulfillment and follow through.

Speedtwin and K13 like this.
  4. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

This is the best Magazine or periodical I have ever subscribed to period. I hope the writing is not on the wall so to speak. But it looks like a lot of the subscribers are not being taken care of.

5. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Really, guys, how can I support them more? Send them more money? Knowing that a) nothing will appear and b) there will be either no explanation or a luke-warm "we're doing the best we can" type of answer?
    International subscribers and worse still, lifetime subscribers have already shown their support and given them grace and shown patience - and it has done us no good at all. Just how long is patience and grace meant to last? One year has gone by, will it be two, or three or????? The thing is, with zero meaningful communication, we have no idea.
    Plus, I was part way into a two year subscription when I paid for a lifetime subscription, so I received two of the next six issues until the old subscription ran out. So I supported them twice, already!
    Love the book, I am sure they are great guys and inherently honest but absolutely NO-ONE has given us a believable explanation as to why we cannot get the goods we have paid for. On Jan 4 I was told things were getting sorted and I would receive 84 soon and 85 shortly after. Forty two days later, tumble weeds and crickets. How soon is soon?

Cheers
    Alan
    P.S., thank you Ryan, for coming on and offering your support to both us and your friends at RJ. You didn't have to do that and it is appreciated, even if I sound a little upset. Thank you.

micksmith, Lil32, Speedtwin and 6 others like this.
  6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Hoping all is well with these folks during this world crisis.
    I can also vouch that they are a fantastic group and I am just hoping it all works out well for everyone.

Just my own opinion and trying to stay positive. $.02

BrerHair, Jimmy B and D-Russ like this.
  7. toml24

toml24

The Rodders Journal scammed me out of $858.98 last November of 2020 when I sent them 40 nostalgia jalopy books for their Holiday Catalog. This is not a simple "misunderstanding" or a case of "What we have here is a failure to communicate".
    This is a case of gross misconduct. Zero communication regarding the invoice. Rodders Journal is a PONZI SCHEME.
    So Mr. Ryan Cochran, please take your close personal friends at Rodders Journal to dinner, and casually bring up the jalopy Book, and watch everyone at the table turn white as a ghost. Take a picture and post it here. We will all have a good laugh.

Dooley likes this.
  8. I am in Australia. There has been no post by TRJ on their facebook page since Jan 3rd. No mention what so ever even on issue 85. There has been plenty of complaints though . I have sent emails mid January to the office asking when 84 is being posted. There has been no response. I have given up on recieving issue 83 even though all memos from TRJ said it would eventually arrive. My local newsagent no longer gets copies due to TRJ pulling the pin on distributors. It was not that they didnt sell. They did. And even though I have supported Rodders Journal with a liftetime subscription I am having to buy from the Australian agent issue 84 at a price that has risen 30 % over issue 83 even though the improvement in the Aus dollar theoretically means the price should have come down.
    It is only for the quality of the publication that it has customers. Their once exemplary customer service has all but disappeared. Very unfortunate!

acme30, Lil32, K13 and 2 others like this.
  9. s.e.charles

s.e.charles

to paraphrase a previous employer, "by the time you realize you're losing money, it's six months too late".

10. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

I guess the writing is on the wall, too bad for all the lifetime subscribers and yearly subscribers that stepped up to support them. I think I got a grand total of four issues from my lifetime subscription and no issue #84.

11. Jay McDonald

Jay McDonald

lot of hard working people taken for their hard earned money, including me.

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  12. Flathead Johnny

Flathead Johnny
    from MA

TRJ have not filled my order of $280 placed in November 2020 for items purchased on their website. I have sent so many emails with zero resolution.

Ryan I purchased an Alliance membership with Rodder's Journal subscription. I would recommend you STOP offering this option until you figure out what the hell is going on at the TRJ.

If they are great fiends of yours I would have a serous conversation as to why they are scamming your Alliance members out of their hard earned money all while devaluing your "Vendor Program Benefits"

I'm ticked that I decided on the Rodder's Journal package you offer vs Standard and the honest truth is this will cost you an Alliance renewal next year.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  13. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Has anyone driven past their new office and see if their lights are on, or have they simply done a runner?

14. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds like a reasonable idea. A drop in visit to see if operations are still going on would be interesting.

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

Being a good journalist doesn't necessarily equate to being a good businessperson.Plenty of good people got overwhelmed in the last year through no fault of their own. It's not likely that TRJ set out to "take" anybody. It' not working well right now, but Ashland seems to be less than 45 minutes from Richmond and some HAMBer should be close.

16. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

They are great friends of mine... and regardless of what happens with the TRJ business, they will continue to be. We aren't internet friends... We aren't just aligned together in the market. These folks are honest to goodness pals of mine... I don't have a lot of really close pals. Coonan is one of them.

All that being said, I haven't had much more communication than y'all have. And yeah, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I simply don't know what's going on. If and when I find out, I will relay what's up for sure... But I'm betting TRJ would rather do it themselves.

Obviously, SOMETHING is up... That much is certain. And if I was out the amount some of you are, I'd be pissed too... I don't agree that I'm the guy to be pissed at, but I'm also a big boy and not sure I can change anyone's mind on that topic.

As for Alliance members and the TRJ. That's an aspect I haven't even thought about actually... I've been so pre-occupied with fixing all of the damage we had during the ice storm (my office flooded) and otherwise wondering what was up with this deal.... I have failed to consider the package deal.

IF TRJ somehow goes down and you don't get the issues you paid ME for, I will obviously send you a refund to cover the sub part of the package. I think that would be the right thing to do... regardless of how rough times are.

Clift Notes:

1. Yes, I am friends with the guys at TRJ and yes, I am bias.

2. I get why people are pissed. If I didn't know these guys, I'd be pissed too...

3. I have no idea what is going on nor do I have any business connection to TRJ.

4. If you paid me for a TRJ/Alliance package, don't sweat it. I got you.

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I ordered two shirts from them before Christmas, one showed up early January the other about mid February. There is stuff being shipped, that’s my recent experience.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

D-Russ likes this.
  19. The Rodder's Journal is THE BEST magazine (book) ever printed,...sure hope things straighten out for everyone.....subscriber since issue no 1.

alfin32, Lil32, kidcampbell71 and 3 others like this.
  20. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

21. I have also been a subscriber since the first issue and when the lifetime subscription was offered I stepped up and I have no regrets, I hope they can get back on their feet because it IS the best magazine to come down the pike!

Trying to keep a business alive during the pandemic has added many unforeseen problems, I know it has with our small business and having to depend on a broken postal service has added fuel to the fire.

I feel certain the folks at TRJ ae doing their best at a difficult time and I for one am pulling for them to weather the storm and come out swinging, trashing them doesn't help the situation, worse case is the publication will go down in flames and that will be a sad commentary on a group of people that did their best to give us the finest traditional style magazine in existence.

I'm pulling for you guys. HRP

Outback, alanp561, Lil32 and 7 others like this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, so I've got three sides tugging at me:

1. These guys are pals... I am worried... I've been over this ad nauseam.

2. There are people at this point out hundreds of dollars. I worry that my being open about how much I like and appreciate these guys downplays their loss. Or that I'm somehow trying to devalue their pain...

3. TRJ the magazine is really important to me. I don't think people truly understand how important it was, has been, and still is to this thing we do. I have every issue of just about every publication from 1948 until 1965.... I love and cherish old magazines. Even so, I still consider TRJ to be the most important ever published.

I feel pretty helpless right now...

Outback, alanp561, Lil32 and 14 others like this.
  23. dserge

dserge
    from WV

I am sorry but I don't know why anyone would want to be friends with someone who is a ripoff artist.
    There is NO excuse for a full voice mailbox or not returning e-mails. If all was legit there are ways to communicate with the people who have sent them money and got nothing in return. Have someone respond to the e-mails, or make phone call, go on social media, respond on this site.
    TRJ is no better than someone stealing money from a store bank etc. Common crooks stealing money.

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  24. fargoguy

fargoguy

I hear ya, Ryan -and I don't think anyone is holding anything against you on this. They completely let their supporters go in the dark for way too long. I agree it is the best publication out there- that's why i subscribed even though it costs more that newsstand up here.

Lil32 likes this.
  25. fargoguy

fargoguy

I think the most concerning thing i noticed in the last couple days is that they stopped their twitter and email marketing in the new year. That was the one thing they had maintained even though they weren't shipping magazines or merch. Now it's gone silent too. The one person who had been good at communicating from there isn't there anymore either, so I think the prognosis is not good.

26. chopped

chopped

Got a Christmas card yesterday, it was mailed 11 weeks ago from Texas. Just saying.

alanp561 and Lil32 like this.
  27. Alan Barton

Alan Barton

Chopped, with all due respect, our issue 83 was meant to have been sent 11 MONTHS ago, not 11 weeks, and our issue 84 was meant to have been sent some time in October, now near on five months ago.

Rodder's Journal has made no secret of the fact that they have not yet sent the magazines to international subscribers. I appreciate that you are trying to ease our concerns regarding delivery of books that we have paid for but unfortunately it has nothing to do with anything. A book that is not posted is NEVER going to get delivered, COVID or no COVID.
    Cheers
    Alan

K13 and Algoma56 like this.
  28. grumpy65

grumpy65

Just an observation. They seem to not be able to fullfil their orders and obligations, yet their website seems to show that they are still taking subscriptions. That appears to be irresponsible business behaviour to me.......

I do hope they can meet the commitment they made to their clients by taking prepaid subscriptions. It is not always easy to do the right thing, but it is always right to do the right thing...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    alanp561, acme30 and K13 like this.
  29. dserge

dserge
    from WV

I sure hope nobody is sending them subscription money. The word needs to get out before anybody else gets ripped off. When I sent my money in last year I didn't know they were already in trouble.

Carter likes this.
  30. Ziggster

Ziggster

Over the last decade and half, I recall browsing through many editions at the local Chapters and admiring the quality of both the vehicles featured and the magazine. During these times, my automotive interests lied elsewhere, but I always felt that one day I would own a traditional hot rod. I did pick up a few issues along the way, and for curiosity sake, went to look for them. Found two; Issue 30 (10th Anniversary); and Issue 81. When you pick up an issue, you can sense that you are about to be blessed with the best of the best. I really hope they can sort things out and be honourable going forward.

acme30 and D-Russ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.