Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods No mufflers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

My ears ring 24/7/365 from too much exposure to loud exhaust, loud music and gunfire. I like healthy sounding exhaust but open headers, straight pipes, dumps, etc... are simply annoying.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you’re a responsible motorist you’re not a hot rod hoodlum and you’re on the wrong forum :D

j3harleys, getow, dan31 and 10 others like this.
  3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I live in a very small rural Ks town. I live about three blocks from a busy hi-way intersection. Why is it that every Harley I hear has straight pipes, no one says anything. Diesel semi's jake brake off the hill down to the stop sign. Blop blop blop blop. sounds like shit and is annoying to me, just cause they can't drive. I used to drive a semi I never used the jake close to a town. Now we have all the wanna be cowboys with diesel pickups with REAL annoying exhausts. Everytime those obnoxious pickups shift gears I cringe, Christ sakes put a shift kit in it at least! And don't get me started on the fart can piece of crap toyota's. Why is anyone on a hotrod site and flatheads with straight pipes and a nice early six or v-8 bothers them? Maybe those people should drive a Prius. :D Better question is, how can you listen to that late model shit running around? Thankyou. Lippy

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have two flathead powered cars, one a 239 v-8 ford and the others a 236 I-6 dodge. Neither one has mufflers.

5. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

And next installment I'll get into back-up beepers. Lippy

6. Spread the Gospel Brother! :DHRP

31hotrodguy, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.
  7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I forgot to mention, if that harley is a pan head, knucklehead or a flathead, they can run straight pipes they are ok. Lippy:D

8. 33atspeed.jpg I had no mufflers on my beater 33 pickup with a bone stock 40 ford flathead. Scavenger type pipes ending just behind the axle. The old flathead had so little compression it sounded like I had mufflers on it. My 34 coupe has an old NOS pair of Edelbrock chambered mufflers..........they look like flowmaster 40s and the turn downs end just before the axle, under the car. I like the sound..not very loud but my wife [who wears hearing aids] will not ride in the car. Too loud she says and she wasn't wearing her hearing aids. Go figure

31hotrodguy, Deuces, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Thats odd Rocky, maybe she is like my wife and just likes to cause a commotion? LOL:D

10. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I like straight pipes, 35 driveshafts on mine. IMG_0051.JPG

getow, LAROKE, 31hotrodguy and 7 others like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

get up over 500 hp, and open exhaust really isn't a viable option.

12. grumpy65

grumpy65

Seems to me that there are two distinct camps here. Those that like exhausts kept to a reasonably sensible dB level, and those that can't hear..................I say, THOSE THAT CAN'T HEAR.........:eek:;):D

My vote? A deep, throaty growl, lots of base tone, but not open pipes on the street.
    (No jokes about a deep throaty growl please..............o_O).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  13. mickeyc

mickeyc

So I was idling in traffic in the French Quarter years ago on my Harley panhead with straight pipes. A fellow in a mini van was shouting at me that I
    should put mufflers on the bike. I yelled back, "what? cant hear you, bikes to loud" Around here it is no problem about loud exhaust, really never was.
    It one of the few old ways that has survived the sucky millenial do not
    dare offend me world we live in now.

14. I've got "auger" style baffles in my headers. Personally, I like the sound. Drove by a state policeman twice that had someone pulled over last week. He never followed me, but I've gotta admit I was nervous, and wasn't being a "responsible motorist"! 20210224_152116.jpg

15. I'm doing that to the flathead in my 50 this spring. I know flatheads aren't that noisy but I will keep them capped most of the time. I live in a pretty quiet neighborhood and I don't want to be "that neighbour"

16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I honestly don't think you'd be that neighbor with um uncapped, but see what you think. They're really not loud in the least unless you step on it, and even then, nothing like a small block. So just keep your foot light in neighborhoods if you want to be a nice guy...

17. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Chief 64, Cosmo50, LAROKE and 11 others like this.
  18. topher5150

topher5150

I need to have some kind of muffler. I grew up in the sticks and every redneck with a POS under powered 80s Chevy pickup ran straight pipes and it sounded like absolute ass

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I ran 2 1/4" straight pipes on the roadster, it was much quieter than I expected. I'm doing 2 1/2" pipes on the Model A, with it's 276 DeSoto Hemi, I'm expecting they'll be like the '34's and it's 283. These have multiple bends, which helps. Having a full length system makes a big difference, just open headers, or cut outs makes a car sound like a tractor. F9B36DB0-6360-46ED-9287-6CB386A9F4EA.jpeg

20. wicarnut

wicarnut

All my cars had/have some type of mufflers, IMO no mufflers is too loud. I've had glass packs, flowmasters, performance factory type, all good sounding, open /none on any street/hobby car is annoying and "That Guy" usually is the Asshat at shows/cruises that fires it up numerous times to impress another Dumb Ass. A hard hitting race engine is music, a stock engine without mufflers sounds like crap, again IMO. Like most old racers I know, I have some hearing loss but not that bad. The positive, don't hear every squeak/rattle/wind/nimrod neighbors, learned to take wife's word when she says brakes need attention. LIFE IS GOOD ! It's March, Spring is coming, car shows/cruising/local dirt track racing/cookouts/picnics/ WooHoo !

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  21. Thanks Pete! I wish there was a double LIKE button I could push. I enjoyed riding along in your cool little Hot Rod pickup! I didn't even spill my coffee. lol Maybe I've lost my hearing over the years. But I think it's how that you drive them that makes all the noise everyone is so worried about. I never drive my Hot Rods in a residential, or subdivision. I do live out in the country. But if I don't stomp on it, and drive normally. I really don't think they are all that loud. :rolleyes: If a police Officer, or neighbor would ever complained about one of my Hot Rods being to loud. I would be the first person to make them quieter. I'm not much on car shows either. I just LOVE hearing, seeing, and the smells of my old Hot Rods. But I will always try and respect others first! That means much more to me than the sound. Witch I do love. :) Ron..........

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    31hotrodguy, AHotRod, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Now your in charge of approving membership ?

23. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Why is it some of you reference loud pipes to old school , whether its 60 years ago or last week , loud pipes are not only obnoxious , but earn you tickets & a general disapproval from the public & law enforcement ...

Cosmo50 and TCATTC like this.
  24. Truckedup

Truckedup

Oh really, maybe a hoodlum in a jacked up truck will run over your hot rod...But it's ok, the driver was not a responsible motorist ;)

Deuces, Cosmo49 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Rotary muffler. It's got bearings too!

I'd love to hear it.

SR100, Deuces and 61SuperMonza like this.
  26. Truckedup

Truckedup

Open pipe Harleys is way over done...

Deuces and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  27. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have straight pipes on my flathead powered roadster, they come out the back under the car. It sounds good and it's not overbearing.

LSGUN, Deuces and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  28. I have a car without mufflers, SBF with shorty headers into 1.5" with a set of harley fishtails. It's not that bad

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  29. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Probably not so much to the car behind you :oops:

30. When I was in Tuscon I drove my Merc. from my Shop to
    My house which was about 10 miles with Open Pipes .
    No muffler's or Exhust pipes just 1/ 1/2' pipes from the Engine
    and puled up to a Lite & a Police car was there I just let it idel
    & let him go first when the Light Changed and than eased out
    until I Didn't see him anymore, Than I nailed That's a Beautiful Sound!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Long & Die a Fool