Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buying can be hard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldwood, Feb 27, 2021.

1. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ten or eleven years ago I was looking for a shoebox Ford, found one in the Kansas City area (about four hours from where I live) on Craigslist. We were going to be in the area visiting relatives so I emailed back and forth, got a phone number and address, told them about when I'd be coming through. Called several times both before and as I was driving over to the cars location. No one home. No one answered the phone:( Will never figure that one out. I'd have probably bought the car if they would have been there.

2. squirrel

squirrel

a friend drove a delivery truck for years, his route was out in the country...he found a lot of cars. I bought a few of them. Only one was a keeper, though.

guthriesmith likes this.
  3. If I had not knocked on doors, I would not have my 65 Corvette. It was stashed in someones back yard. I was their mailman and kept wondering what was under the tarp that looked like a Corvette. So I asked.....and bought it reasonable for the time.
    I spotted lots of stuff carrying mail. Bought a few but really only recall the Vette that I still own.

4. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was chasing a low mileage '00 Ford F-250 4x4 for @ 8 years. When it did sell it went way high. But his brother asked if I was interested in this. I guess I shouldn't have pursued the Ford 4x4 for so long. If you never ASK out the pretty girls who you gonna ask out. Please don't tell me.

Attached Files:

• 017.JPG
      017.JPG
      File size:
      250 KB
      Views:
    Ron Funkhouser and Budget36 like this.
  5. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

56don can you say Whoooooo Pig Soooooie.

6. Rod_Plans

Rod_Plans

I have seen cars that were "waiting to be restored" only to rot into the ground and go to scrap. I think it never hurts to ask as most people have days when they may sell

keith27T likes this.
  7. Erwin

Erwin

'58 Plymouth, parts car or otherwise are few and far between. In my view, it rates as one of the highest on the scale of cool vintage rides in that predicament.

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I've never bought anything that wasn't for sale. Nope.

9. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have a legendary weirdo that I just explained this very thing to. After months of him wasting my time, no-showing, trying to bicker through texts, he contacted me right as my eBay auction (for the item he "wanted") ended.

He wrote a petty, "should have taken my offer" text with some other assumption-based BS. I looked at when he started texting, no showing, etc., and told him he had more opportunity than anyone but never showed up to even look at it.

And guess what? He didn't win the auction either... probably never even bid.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    stillrunners likes this.
  10. Mimilan

Mimilan

Then buy an original...........not one that was slowly customized by mother nature.
    Unless it is really unique, walk away from it.

I really can't understand why people want to be mechanical masochists.

Try selling something that is "not for sale".
    I'm going through this right now. I own a "Torch Red" C7 Corvette [There is only 2 red c7's in all of NZ]
    I got approached buy a Corvette owner while out having a picnic at the beach one day.
    He asked if I/We would consider selling it. I said if the offer was acceptable I would. [we swapped phone number/email details]
    Next thing I get, is "I want a copy of the build sheet for your car"

I replied "this ain't a ***ken NCRS Corvette, so go away, I am not letting a stranger invade our privacy"
    Then he wanted the VIN! again I replied "I am not letting a stranger invade our privacy" [he could easily put a lien on our car with this info]
    I said that until as he makes an offer that is acceptable, I will not disclose anything. And up to that point I am not actively trying to sell the vehicle.

Now I am getting pestered with "how much do I want for it?"
    I reply "make an offer" [this has been going on for 4 months now, and he still hasn't made an offer.]
    I know he has been to car dealerships etc, so he knows what the equivalent is worth

So word of advice when buying a car that is not for sale..........Make an offer
    And don't think the seller is desperate or stupid.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    VANDENPLAS, F-ONE, partsdawg and 2 others like this.
  11. Budget36

Budget36

Good point right there by @Mimilan If you plan on stopping in and knock on the door, have the money close by and make an offer. Don’t knock on the door and try and dicker on it.
    I had a 36 PU on a frame with just a cab
    and front end on it, how it was seen I don’t know. But when I had the knock on the door and “do you want to sell it”? Question I asked “have cash on you for it”? Answer no. Come back with cash and I’ll talk to you.
    Never saw them again.
    I mean if you drove by and see something you want to buy, may as well go home, think about it and grab some money and be prepared to deal when you knock on the door. The old “I’ll think about it and get back to you(as a buyer)” just wasted someone’s time.

stillrunners and chopped like this.
  12. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I went looking for the '58 Plymouth and found it. A friend saw it and sent me the directions. Found out who the owner was by someone in a gas station. Called and she wanted to know what I would give. She said she would call a relative to see what its value was. Yes, when I go looking for cars I carry Benjy's to secure the deal. The Ford looked like it needed to be bought. The wife wants to sell it as she said its been sitting for @ 40 years. Hubby doesn't want to sell but she took my #.

Budget36 likes this.
  13. samurai mike

samurai mike

these are sinking in the ground and going back to nature, please save them from the crazy old hoarder guy! ok, dammit it's me. IMG_0249.JPG

14. I'm a little unusual in the fact that I don't enjoy buying, and I really hate selling old cars. What I do love is, finding them. I am just an old car nut. Luckily for me, it just a hobby. I'm not trying to make any money at it. But do really I love the hunt. In the years passed. I would grab my camera { now my phone } and go looking for old cars. When I spotted a cool old car. I would knock on the door and introduce myself. I'd say I spotted your COOL old car, and maybe I could be of some help in finding parts. Or just talk old car. If they seen nice. I'd say that I'd love to take a photo, and if it would be okay? Oh, it really helps if your driving an old car at the time too. I never ask if it's for sell, if it didn't have a sign on it. That can wait. I've made a lot of freinds, and yes I drug home a lot of old cars too. People will come buy my place looking for an old car to buy. I'm more than happy to sell them one. Treat people the way you want to be treated, and keep it FUN!........

15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a habitual "door knocker" if I see something I want...some of my best buys were cars that initially, weren't for sale...and took years. There's an "art" to it...and you need to have UNLIMITED patience. The approach I use is
    "I don't blame you for not wanting to sell it...it's really cool/nice/rare. But if you ever decide to sell it, please keep me in mind".

I try to stop every year or so and try again...eventually if they decide to sell, "that persistent guy" sticks in there mind. It also helps that the rest of his family knows you are that persistent guy, just in case.

Some of the local cars I bought (that EVERYONE was after.)
    '34 Tudor w/Cad V8, took 19 years.
    '33 Roadster, took 15 years...a year later and sells me his
    '32 Pickup...calls another year later and sells me his
    '62 Chevy convertible.
    '32 Cabriolet body, took 11 years.
    '37 Ford Coupe w/running FH took 7 years
    '35 pickup, took 3 years.
    Still working on a '54 Vette (10 years) and a Chopped '40 convert (8 years).

stillrunners, Mimilan, F-ONE and 2 others like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

If you're respectful about it I don't see any harm in asking if someone might be willing to sell something. And if I ever came across a '58 Plymouth 2 door hardtop parts car, you're damn right I'm going to ask. Those things part out for insane money.

Too many old guys have sour pickles because of all-talkers making offers they can't back up, or being jerks, i.e. "Hey I see that old piece of shit you're mistreating, but you should let me do you a big favor and I'll haul it away for $(jack shit price)". Honestly, I can't blame them, that shit is frustrating.

But there absolutely is a right way to ask. I've bought a lot of cool shit from people who were so happy to talk to someone who actually had the money and didn't talk down to them when making offers.

17. I have bought 2 '50 Oldsmobiles by knocking. One was scheduled to be picked up by a junkie the next day.

hotrodjack33 and F-ONE like this.
  18. I am not a Razorback....more of a Roll Tide kinda guy.

woodsnwater, hotrodjack33 and BamaMav like this.
  19. I was helping an old friend stay in his home at the end of his life. At the reception line at the funeral home, someone thought it was appropriate to try and buy his old pickup, I did not think it appropriate. I have an old stake truck that might have to have some parts harvested to get my avatar back on the road, I have a neighbour that wants it for yard art, and doesn’t understand that I don’t want to sell it. With the wonders of the internet, most anyone that wants to buy something surely can find a willing seller.

VANDENPLAS and stillrunners like this.
  20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If you leave a number. Put it in the glovebox. That way , when they do decide. They will know where to look for it. Other wise, they will lose it.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Apparently, none of you guys have never knocked on a door, to see if a car is for sale."
    LOL.
    And the Pope doesn't know what incense smells like.
    Most of us don't start a thread to complain when somebody won't sell us a car.

22. Some guys like the feeling of " I got it and you want it, I'm in charge". Other guys are smarter and if it's not for sale, they put a sign in it saying so.

23. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I was stoking the fire. The Razorbacks have been on a roll. Alabama football has been on YEARS of Rolls. Alabama Basketball is new to this kind of Roll and glad we split the season with them. A little Friendly jabbing between us car guys.

56don likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

thing is, I wouldn’t call you back if you were snooping so close to go inside my heap. Just me.

egads likes this.
  25. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe change the thread from tough to buy to “tough to get them to sell”;)

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  26. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I`d have the owners approval first. I guess I need to be specific. Also, leaving notes in a Mailbox is a federal offence.

Unique Rustorations likes this.
  27. Budget36

Budget36

True (notes) tape one on the box.
    But question how to get the owner’s permission, then why leave the note in the glove box? ;)

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Leave your number (with permission)after talking to them in the glovebox if and when they do decide to sell.

29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’ve known of a number of cars people always asked about and they weren’t for sale then one day you go buy and it’s gone. Come to find out that someone asked and the owner just happened to be in the selling mood. You never know.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Funny - a few of us were after a 1954 Cad coupe De Ville with the factory wires that sat on all four flats on a driveway in our neighborhood. The old man always wanted XXXXX for it which was a little much for us. Barry happen to catch his wife out one day and she said bring XXX by on Friday and I'll give you XX to get it out of here ! True story....

hotrodjack33 likes this.