Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 20th All Deuce Run 2001 - UPDATE MAY 27th.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 27, 2021.

1. [​IMG]

We still want to have the 20th All Deuce Run and the towel hasn't been thrown in yet, but with all the restrictions on the restaurants with limited seating capacity and the pandemic mandates they all have a no reservation policy.

This is also a problem with the guys from different states. myself included that get together for the Friday night dinner, again no party reservations.

I don't think anyone wants to have the run and spend the day riding through the mountains and not have a destination with no place to stop and have lunch.

Gas stops have always been smooth in the past but with store limits, who knows?

I realize people need to make plans & June 4 & 5 th is still 3 months away, We will wait and continue to try and make it work, one way or another I will make a announcement in early May. HRP

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

how about arranging to have a food truck, or two, at a rest stop, or park, that has open restrooms?

3. Make it happen, Danny.o_O:)

4. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

Naturally my preference is a restaurant , but I'd be willing to pack my own lunch, if thats the only way to have the All Deuce Run this year.

5. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I drove my coupe on this run a couple of years ago for the friday diner and met a lot of people.some that live in the Charlotte area and others from all over the south.
    It reminded me of all the shows I have attend shooting the breeze in the motel parking lot until midnight.
    I know Danny will do everything he can to make the 20th all deuce run happen.

6. I have been getting calls from guys that have joined us in the past asking me if the All Deuce Run would happen this year, Out of pure frustration it would be easy for me to just say No!

I have spent a lot of time trying to make everything work but as of now I'm no closer than I was in December when I started planning, sending emails and making phone calls.

Maybe within the next couple of months the restrictions will ease up. HRP

jim snow, lothiandon1940 and 3W JOHN like this.
  7. Good luck, Danny, I hope you can still make it happen. I always enjoy the pictures and coverage, all the time wishing I were there. The logistics are going to be difficult for sure, but at some point we all need something that seems like "normal". I feel like I've had a year of my life robbed from me and at my age that's pretty significant.:(

8. NJ Don

NJ Don

Kinda like "Fields of Dreams" ... "If you put it on they will come."
    Thanks for trying Danny!

9. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I play in a band(The Delmonicos) so my weekends are tied up. I enjoy going to Cornelus? at your starting point and look at all the 32's. Hope you make it work this year...........johnfink

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

aren't there any drive in restaurants in the area? we still have several here. If there are wouldn't that be more fun anyhow???

11. Blowing Rock doesn't have any drive-in's that I am aware of and only one Subway, it's more a tourist destination, several pubs & fine dining restaurants, In the past the owners of Foggy Rock have been very accommodating but they have to abide by the state mandates.

I understand they can't jeopardize their business trying to accommodate a bunch of hot rodders. HRP

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I don't know much about the area but maybe there is a bitchin old drive in within an hours cruise of your normal destination? or a park where everyone could have a picnic? Surely this is do able??

13. Mark, we still have time to make a decision, I drove the 430 mile round trip back in January running the route,talking to the Motel, visiting the restaurants & gas stations, One country station we stop at would not be able to accommodate us, due to in store limitations the other will be limited also but they can work with us.

The motels are not a problem now, but the longer we wait the more likely the Memorial Day weekend may come into play.

We get guy's that come from all over the country and the Friday night diner along with all the race shops around and the NASCAR museum gives the early arrivals something to do before the Saturday run along with the Friday night parking lot bull shooting late into the night.

We will explore our options, HRP

14. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Suggestion, Just have a car show in Cornelus with food trucks. There are motels in the area and resturants abound. Just a thought.........

15. It would be easy to say it ain't gonna happen this year but I haven't thrown in the towel just yet.

I put a lot of time and traveling to plot a new course for the 2020 All Deuce Run and it was looking good until the pandemic, then it all went to crap and I had to cancel it, it was frustrating and different venue and now I am trying to line up our previous routes.

The Friday night dinner has gotten to be popular for all the guys driving long distance, it gives them a chance to meet and bench race before starting the run on Saturday morning.

Motels have always be left up to the individuals although I try and list a few to help, the starting point is never a real problem but with all the social distancing rulings in North Carolina,gas stops with 30 plus cars and twice as many people can really cause a problem, the small mom and pop stations are out of the question.

I am still trying to make arrangements with the restaurants and there again, all I am hearing is call back in a couple of weeks.

Time is running out and we normally try to have the run the weekend after Memorial Day, due to not being able to pin down a date, my wife has taken a wedding that weekend and with business taking a hit this past year we can't afford to so no. we can't do it.

Believe me I want to do the run but I don't want to have a parking lot show and I don't think anyone else does the All Deuce Run is about driving, but after driving to the destination we all want to sit down and have a nice meal and not stop at the McDonalds drive thru. HRP

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. Well said, Danny. You have my number if I can help, give me a call.

17. Thanks Tom, I know I can depend on your help. HRP

18. Sounds like a great time!

19. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

Danny, You had previously mentioned that you and Bill were giving some thought to having the Run in S.Carolina to help out the guys from Georgia. As you know SC is wide open. Any chance of changing the trip?

20. Living in South Carolina and knowing the area there really isn't anything here that offers the back roads and vistas that the North Carolina mountains have to offer.

I looked into a few areas here in S.C. but nothing really stood out. HRP

21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

I get it, do it right or don't do it at all.

22. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hope it works out that y’all can make it happen. I have no idea how many cars or people you usually have, but it sounds like fun.

Perhaps one of the restaurants or the local brewery can have box lunches ready and you can go to the park and eat out in the open; or something similar at the Country Club (ooh la la). You might try the local fire department too (especially if they are volunteer) and see if they would cater something.

john

23. I talked to Bill this afternoon and he told me the Governor has lifted all the limit's on capacity, as of right now I don't have any conformation with any restaurants but it appears the recent announcement may be a step in the right direction, I have heard time and time again there is shortage of cooks and waiting staff plus limited capacity - capacity is no longer a problem.

Our original projection date won't happen and it has been pushed up to 25 & 26 of June, I haven't given up and I am still trying to make it happen, stay tuned. HRP

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  24. FORD FAN

FORD FAN

Thanks for your efforts

ffr1222k and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. We are still trying to make this work.

talked to Bill this morning and since I can't get a reply to any of my e-mails and can't seem to get the owners of the dining establishments to return my calls Bill is on the road today hoping to talk to the management of the restaurants, Hopefully we will be able to get something nailed down this week.

From what I have gathered for my telephone conversations the restaurants are now open, the mandatory mask wearing is lifted if vaccinated but staff is limited, obviously with some of these individuals making more money on unemployment the incentive is not there to seek employment, at least that is what I have heard from my conversations.

Time is slipping away and I will need connect with the motels and see if they can accommodate the Friday arrivals should Bills attempts be favorable. HRP

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  26. OK guys, As of right now we are tentatively looking at Friday 25th & Saturday 26th, I need to know how many of you think you will be going the to the Friday night diner, Bill talked with the owners at Lancaster's BBQ and they will try to accommodate us but need to have a head count.

I would appreciate any of you guys here on the Hamb that plan on attending the Friday night dinner send me a conversation and let me know name & numbers.

As in the past we will leave From the Target Shopping Center at the North East Corner of Interstate 77 and Hwy 73 ( Exit 25 off Interstate 77 ) in Cornelius promptly at 10 o'clock. The overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway provides a excellent place to stop, sight see and look at each others Deuce. It is a excellent photo opportunity.

We also need a head count for the participants that plan to have a late lunch with the group at Foggy Rock Eatery & Pub in Blowing Rock, they ask if we would arrive after 2 PM.
    Again, please send me a conversation and let me know names & numbers.

If we are going to make it happen this year I need to know as soon as possible where we can pull off the 20th All Deuce Run.

I will also be sending out information to all the people on the All Deuce Run Email list in the next few days.

Run Coordinators

Bill Rhodes ... 704-788-1856 in North Carolina
    Danny Berry...864-328-5840 in South Carolina

If you’re staying overnight, here’s a list of motels in the area:
    EXIT 36 off I-77 Mooresville (Restaurant Exit)

Sleep Inn 132 Meadow Hill Cir 704-799-7070
    Days Inn 140 Days Inn Dr 704-664-6100
    Holiday Inn Express 130 Norman Station Blvd 704-622-6900

EXIT 25 off I-77 Huntersville (Deuce Run Exit)
    Holiday Inn Express 16905 Caldwell Creek Dr 704-892-9487
    Sleep Inn 16508 Northcross Dr 704-766-2500
    Quality Inn 16825 CaldwellCreek Dr 704-892-6597

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker