Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TH350 in 40 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Smart62, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Hi would greatly appreciate some input on installing the TH350 in my 40 Ford Coupe. Fitted a TCI split wishbone kit and bolted in the trans ok. But trans pan hits the rails. Is it safe to cut them away a bit? Should the pan miss the rails and I have it set up wrong? Or would a spacer below the trans mount sort it? What did you guys do? Cheers Smart

2. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

can you use a shim or two?

3. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

You can trim the lower flange on the X-member or shim the trans up. You may need to trim the flange anyway to facilitate pan removal.

4. X2 what Weedburner40 said.

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

X3 What Weedburner suggests. Had to do this on a 37 Ford I had for pan removal and never a problem afterwards.

6. Smart62

Smart62
    from UK Sussex

Thanks for your help guys. Good to know I'll be doing it right.

7. Some more hype that those shivrolas fit like a glove. Just cut grind or bash it with a BFH to make it fit.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show us your Ford in a 40 Ford photos. Or are you another of those Ford in a Ford guys who has never put a Ford in a Ford. Seems we here the talk but never see the photos.

dirty old man, okiedokie and Budget36 like this.
  9. I notched the X member just enough to clear the pan, that's normal. HRP

10. All of my Fords have Ford engines in them. My '51 Shoebox has a Flat Head V8. My '55 T-Bird has a 302. My Wife's '62 Falcon has a 200 Straight Six. My '34 Three Window has a 351 Cleveland. My '64 F250 4X4 has a 460. My '35 4X4 Pick up has a Flat Head V8. My '29 Briggs 4 Door has the original Banger. I did have a OT '66 Impala with a ford 390 back in the '70's that ended up tearing the rear end loose from the car. That engine came from a 'OT66 Fairlane that met a tree sideways. Well, I do not currently own any '40 Fords but if I did it would be Ford powered. I have other Fords that are Ford powered that are OT for this site so there is your answer. Every shivrola in a Ford installer says "How easy they just slide in, like they were made for em ,wire em up, fire em up." While the truth is butchery and destruction of the original vehicle suffers. Admit it they are not just a "Drop in". Too many installers have let the cat out of the bag. So, there ya go.

RmK57 likes this.
  11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I always trim mine to clear the pan. You don’t have to, but it makes your life easier in the future.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    okiedokie likes this.
  12. I notched the lower frame rail in the X-member for easy pan removal and then I added a removable piece of flat stock to the rail to maintain integrity. I don't know if that was necessary but I figured it couldn't hurt.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I’m not trying to argue, but bare with me. My 36 Ford PU had a 265 in it with a Hurst mount up front. The truck was set up with a Muncie 4 speed before I got it. Anyways, I wanted the Ford in a Ford thing, and in order to sit the 302 in it, I had to cut out the firewall, now at the time I didn’t know about other solutions, but as it was the Ford in a Ford was still hacking up the truck.
    I never liked it like that. So pulled the 302 and am glad I saved the piece I cut out, but even if it would have fit, the C4 I had would still take the same bite out of the x-member.
    The SBC drops right it is in fact true, but even if a another engine would, any “modern” tranny would require some work to fit.

Nitroholic likes this.
  14. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I used 2 shims on the trans mount

15. crying face.gif Good!

16. Budget36

Budget36

You the only one shedding tears;)

Is it okay if I put a 318 in my '36? Ooops, sorry

What gets me is the car and your butt won't know what's moving it down the road.

Heck, I'm fine with seeing a FHV8 in a Vette, car is moving, right?

17. Those are YOUR tears man.

18. Budget36

Budget36