Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The all inclusive,almighty Y block thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 16, 2021.

1. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Like others have suggested the pistons are available. All it takes is money!
    My 57 factory ford tach drive dizzy has been converted to full mechanical and is set at 38°

On the cam. John Mummert recommended the cam. I may have said that Ted did. Nevertheless, it was based on the transmission. I use an AOD.

I use FORD's hi lift stock rockers but have always intended to get some higher lift roller rockers. Still all in all very happy with all of it.
    FWIW, the factory TBird tach does not have a peg at 5000 rpm. Not sure of any accuracy when mine runs past 5000, but it has been known to get back to zero! That's about 10 or 20 additional give or take. I think my engine likes 6 grand pretty well. Like I said before this is a street car that I can run down the strip occasionally if I want.

silent rick and loudbang like this.
  2. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

Here is mine.

30 over 312, Schneider 274 F camshaft, ported heads (exhaust side only), Holley 465 CFM carburetor, Mummert intake. Its hooked to a close ratio toploader 4 speed and the original rear with 3.89 gears. Hoping to get in back on the road sometime soon.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail1.jpg

Spooky, brianf31, williebill and 7 others like this.
  3. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

@mctim64 man that's some great stuff. Thanks for sharing

Spooky, mctim64 and loudbang like this.
  4. So that's what it looks like! Back in the early 70's I bought a 2 x 4's intake. Never got to use it due to not having that valley cover.

loudbang likes this.
  5. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Eightydeuce, let us know what you think of the Schneider cam once it's up and running. After doing my homework, I purchased the Schneider 258F cam. I didn't want to go more than its 214 @ .050 duration, having 2.72 gears but 2.90 1st in Dynamic Racing Transmissions C4 gear set. With the exception of Howard's cam, the Schneider has considerably more lift than comparable cams/w duration under 220. As I've already posted, Ted Eaton says that Y-blocks like lift. At 66, my goal is to put my car back on the road before kicking the bucket. Jerry Cantrell of Schneider and Ken Heard of Oregon Cams are tops in my book.

loudbang likes this.
  6. tbirddragracer

tbirddragracer

Just found this discussion thread and will follow.
    A y-block is in my avatar, 450 plus hp built by John Mummert
    in 1999. I added 300 hp of juice, great rush releasing the trans-brake
    at 3800 rpm. Shift point was at 7200 rpm.
    Ernie

Spooky, mctim64, y'sguy and 2 others like this.
  7. Roothawg

Roothawg

How do the Y blocks like a solid roller?

Just thinking of the cam failure issues discussed.
    Do they even suffer from this since the lifter design is different?

loudbang likes this.
  8. sunbeam

sunbeam

Pretty sure that is a no can do because of the style of lifter. If it can be done it would be pricey.

loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Now that you mention it, I do remember someone saying that in an old thread.

loudbang likes this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Root, didn’t know anyone ever had one.... new to me.

11. sunbeam

sunbeam

12. Mushroom head lifters prevent the use of a roller cam as well as hydraulic lifters.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Roothawg like this.
  13. sunbeam

sunbeam

I think many cam fails in y blocks is because of the pain it is to change lifters. Many a preformance cam is installed with old lifters. I have seen videos of guy using a trough to catch the lifters new ones back in was a pain. I'm pretty sure dropping the pan an using a telloscopic magnet is faster is still a 2 man job.

mctim64, loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  14. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

You're right about Schneider cams being tops. I had questions and whoever it was when I called their phone number was really helpful. Plus they have a great selection of cams for the "Y". I did have the engine running and put about 4,000 miles on the car with the 274F and my only issue is that I should of went with the 264F as the power band starts at 2000 RPM instead of 2500 with the 274F.

loudbang likes this.
  15. Eightydeuce

Eightydeuce

reds headers $650.00.PNG

Does any one of info on these headers? They are up on the Reds headers website with no other info provided other than they fit Y-Blocks. Looks like they could be for 55-56 cars.

loudbang likes this.
  16. 55blacktie

55blacktie

17. 55blacktie

55blacktie

There are no hypereutectic pistons available for y-block engines. Yes, custom forged pistons are available from a number of sources.

18. 55blacktie

55blacktie

19. I have changed a cam and lifters "in frame" before with the help of my wife. It took some time but was well worth it in the end. This was in my dragster that is very open and easy to get at, in the long run it may have been easier to just pull the engine and roll it on it's back. :rolleyes:

If you talk to Ed Iskenderian he will tell you the story of 10 blocks cast by Ford in '56 with thicker lifter bosses so they could be machined to accommodate the "chevy" roller lifter for use in NASCAR. The first 10 blocks disappeared, thought to have been taken by mistake for production vehicles, so the cast another set for the race cars. Legend has it that there are those other ten block floating around out there somewhere in production vehicles. ;)

Spooky, Tman, williebill and 3 others like this.
  20. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Thanks, Eighty.

I've read that when selecting cams, find the one you want, then go one step down. You just confirmed it. It's hard to resist the desire to go bigger.

loudbang likes this.
  21. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Haven't seen you around here in awhile, Ernie! Do you still have that car I knew it was for sale for awhile. Loved seeing it run.

Spooky and loudbang like this.
  22. While we are on the subject of Y-blocks, are the ECZ-G cylinder heads still desirable?

23. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I hope so. I have non-posted G heads that will go on my engine hen rebuilt. Heads will be posted. I can't afford Mummert's aluminum heads. 113 heads seem to be preferred over G heads. All are posted, flow as well/better than G heads, same size valves, but larger combustion chambers. They can be milled to raise compression. 471 heads have larger combustion chambers, still, better suited for forced induction. The G heads seem to be more common than 113/471.

Spooky, y'sguy and loudbang like this.
  24. I wouldn't hesitate to run a set of G heads; that's what I used back in the day. In the late 60's we were trying to get all the compression we could so they were preferred over the 113's. Either one will work well on the street...

y'sguy, loudbang and egads like this.
  25. Roothawg

Roothawg

What do you mean posted and non-posted?

loudbang likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Oh, I see. I had never heard that before. Thanks.

loudbang likes this.
  27. I was going through some "stuff" I have in a corner of my shop the other day and came across a pair of those G heads that I had forgotten I had. I bought them years ago thinking I might build a Y-block but that's not going to happen now. I probably should move them on to someone who could use them.

Spooky and loudbang like this.
  28. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

I appreciate all of the info guys!!... question from me,...at some point in the future I would like to put a 332 Lincoln out of an F800 big job that is currently Hooked to abig old iron granny gear 5 speed in a hotrod with the mid sixties Ford 3and 4 speed transmission....what bell housing and flywheel do I need??....all help greatly appreciated!!

loudbang likes this.
  29. Latest Y-Block build from the shop.
    292 with 312 bore and stroke. 312ci but it is all 292. Crank was offset ground to 3.44" stroke with 2.0" journals. Bore is 3.8" Going to Barry in Australia.

Spooky, HEMI32, ottoman and 9 others like this.