Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ford Greyhound hood ornament

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 47streetrodder, Feb 23, 2021.

1. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

Does anyone know the history of the Greyhound hood ornament that appears on some of the 33-34 Ford radiator caps and the radiator shell for 35-36 cars? Were these dealer add-ons or an aftermarket item?. Not all of the cars have this beautiful ornament. I've seen original versions with asking prices up to $400. Were these also available for the Australian and European and South America markets?

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

33_doll2.jpg

:rolleyes:...They like sweaters and are prone to falling off...:D

On a serious note they aren't terribly popular on Hotrods...but they certainly weren't absent either...they certainly share a similar grace to the sweeping lines of the 33/34 Fords...

There is some good info here...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/birthday-presents.1183591/#post-13441586

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  3. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1240.JPG IMG_1242.JPG
    I'm very fortunate to have what I believe to be an original Ford hood ornament on my 1936 Ford cabriolet. There are many reproduction dog ornaments but all have the tail and the rear leg connected. The original ornaments are referred to as "standing tail" ornaments I think. Search Fordbarn for better and likely more accurate information.
    The three things that I have been told that makes the originals detectable from the reproductions are:
    1. The front of the dog does NOT extend past the V-8
    2. The tail is NOT attached to the rear leg.
    3. The dog is a "real male."
    Hope this helps.
    BTW, I'll buy all you find for $400... I was quickly turned down at LARS in 2016 when I offered $1,000.00 for only the second dog like mine I had ever seen. Please send me the info if you ever find one for sale.
    BTW, when we attended the LARS in 2016; we went to the Early Ford Store in San Dimas. I asked the owners if they had ever seen an original dog for a 1936 Ford? The elder owner said he had seen two in his lifetime. I asked them if they would like to see a third one? The younger owner was ready to go and asked where I had it? I told him I followed it all the way there from Virginia. He was surprised that I actually had it on my car.
    Lucky Al

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...n-a-33-and-34-grayhound-hood-ornament.509321/

:rolleyes:...Heres another Thread above that verifies @Hamtown Al's info...the last post in this humorous Thread is by the Late Hamber @Bruce Lancaster

They were only OEM Ford on 34's...all others aftermarket apparently...

That is not to say the same company that supplied Ford in 34 didn't go on and supply Greyhounds for all the others...Why do I mention this? The Quality...even though not a Ford Option the quality was no doubt similar just aftermarket...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Al I'm just mentioning what Bruce alluded re 34...I suspect if a Customer wanted one of those on their New Ford post 34 they were probably told of a place they could get one or perhaps order one in...

I look forward to further info to verify these possibilities...;)

Hamtown Al likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

A big thank you to Hamtown Al for posting a picture of his original Greyhound. I have what appears to be an aftermarket version. However, the version on my cabriolet is a real male. There is currently an aftermarket example for a 1936 Ford for sale at https://m.facebook.com/groups/626869617366355/.

Also, my apologies for the prior post. My fingers got ahead of my brain and posted the reply before I could complete my response.

lothiandon1940, Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@47streetrodder due to the fact I found conflicting history you fellas may in fact have genuine Ford Pooches that are pricey and great for conversation...but there is no question it originated on the Lincoln Line and crossed over in the Early 30s to the Fords...

10. bandoola

bandoola

As was mentioned above, all genuine Greyhound radiator caps have a free-standing tail, male parts, and most significantly, a distinct cast-in part number 40-18385. Over the years there were several attempts at reproductions, I believe the most famous of those being Franklin, which I think sold for around $675 when they were produced. Both originals and repos appear on Ebay. The greater number of "originals" are, of course - not. When I pointed out to the seller his was, in fact, a repro; his response was, he meant "original reproduction". Another seller recently had one for sale with a minimum bid of $2000.00, and the comment he didn't care if it sold or not - good, because it didn't sell.
    I have several of the originals, as well as a few of the repos. The originals range from, looking like they were in a fight, to a beautiful, pristine example which was a very generous gift from someone who had it in a collection for about 60 years. I had a "junk yard dog" looking original, but he shook loose going down the road and got run over by a semi - honest. I pulled over after he fell off and watched in disbelief, his little body lying within inches of my grasp, as the semi bore down on him and smashed him into bits. Here's a couple pictures - pre hit-and-run.
    IMG_1245.jpeg IMG_1241.jpeg IMG_1240.jpeg

11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I heard that Henry's wife thought that the original ones were a little too anatomically correct so the later ones were neutered in a big way.

12. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

The best repo dogs I ever used were made by a company called Vintque...They were stainless and had free standing tails...They were kinda pricey back in the 70's like 90 dollars I believe....

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Stogy, lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  13. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

“The Greyhound—noted the world over for swiftness and stamina, for grace and beauty in action, as well as its enormous penis—“

:eek:

Stogy likes this.
  14. Off topic to the original question, but...in the 80's, there was a guy that would show up at the Back to the 50's in his rod that was equipped with a sweater wearing greyhound. The dog and sweater seemed to draw in kids and women like a bear to honey. Under the sweater, he had routed a small diameter hose that fed back to a windshield washer bottle and pump that was controlled by a switch at the rear of the vehicle. He would sit on his lawn chair near the trunk and wait for someone to come and pet or admite the doggie in a sweater...and he would then activate the washer pump so the dog would "pee" on the poor unsuspecting dog lover. It always seemed to bring gaffaws of laughter for all that witnessed the hijynx. I couldn't tell you if that dog's tail was attached to its leg or not.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  15. bandoola

bandoola

I heard that story as well. There are notable differences among the originals I have, and others I have seen - with some having more "bragging rights" than others. I heard the differences were attributed to Mrs Ford telling Henry to "Tone it down a bit"; although I suspected it might be due solely to different molds.
    Can you picture the scenario of "mine is bigger than yours" amongst the '34' owners? Or, better yet - the conversation between Henry and Mrs Ford. Was it a leisurely Sunday morning breakfast, Henry - sipping his coffee, and Mrs Ford blurts out, "Henry, we need to discuss your ..."?

Stogy and J. A. Miller like this.
  16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While attending the 1972 Street Rod Nats in Detroit, Mich. this guy was having a ball with his greyhound radiator cap.
    He drilled a small hole between the dogs rear legs & ran a tiny tube there hooked to a windshield water pump, & had it remotely operated from a distance.
    As usual, there were TV guys covering the large event & one asked about the sweater covered greyhound, the car owner told him to check out the balls on the dog. when he looked real close ZAP!---He got squirted!
    Of course this happened all weekend with lots of laffs-----Don

Lil32 and Stogy like this.
  17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if your dog has balls he is in the $400 range... but nutless muts are about $85...

Stogy likes this.
  18. I like Greyhounds as much as anybody. In fact, two of them live at my house where they hog the couch.
    But I'm a big fan of the flying nymphs and maidens. I guess I'd rather look at ta-tas than look at nuts when I'm driving. :cool:

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Considering that Fords or the time were "low price cars", Henry must not have paid much to have the originals made.
    Then repros came along, not so good as the originals, and sold for a very high price. Kind of the story of repro parts in general.

It sure is a nice piece.

Stogy likes this.
  20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the guys in my club ha a "squirting" Greyhound on his 34 5 window...always good for a laugh:D Incidentally, he's owned the car since he was 15...60 years !
    He tells folks the greyhound only "pees" on people he doesn't like. Needless to say, I've been hit numerous times.:eek:
    zzz.jpg

21. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found this one in an old Ford junkyard when I was a kid. Definitely an original, but somebody neutered him, before I found him. 43307068-7692-44C2-8C34-261C9BF0D9B8.jpeg 6A8F3255-859B-41FC-B5A5-5FF251DBEBD2.jpeg 452B687E-FBDF-4E46-AEAF-263A2D742EFB.jpeg 28DA534C-9C22-4B1E-9C7B-888C9C336B4A.jpeg 59906A35-FB60-411E-BA93-9D0317BF5D92.jpeg FEEDF0D8-C8C6-4A47-BE8C-4F9ED66977F2.jpeg 866D0199-1CEE-4435-8C46-811362860B12.jpeg

Lil'Alb, Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  22. Fordors

Fordors

This article and the old full page ad were featured in Lorin Sorensen's (RIP) Ford Life magazine. Ford Life ran for 22 issues, jam packed with Ford information and historical photos.
    Scan_0224.jpg Scan_0225.jpg Scan_0226.jpg Scan_0227.jpg Scan_0266.jpg Scan_0267.jpg Scan_0268.jpg Scan_0223.jpg

i.rant, Hamtown Al, ckdesigns and 2 others like this.
  23. millersgarage

millersgarage

I got a deal on one. It was listed on ebay as a "dog hood ornament"
    It's leg was broken, but they had it. I got it for less than $50, then repaired the leg

Hamtown Al and Stogy like this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whether an expensive original or a less than expensive reproduction, the sleek Greyhound, is a great piece of automotive artwork!

SLEEK GREYHOUND (2).JPG

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe this Document really nails the 34 with all else aftermarket theory...

Thanks @Fordors

26. Fordors

Fordors

I agree, pretty hard to dispute information straight from the manufacturer.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Great thread.The 1934 Ford Greyhound is an authorized Ford accessory and the only one . They were made by Stant.Many aftermaket Greyhounds mfg in the 30's for Fords.Don Sommer of American Arrow made stainless ones starting around the mid 1970's. Currently there is a nice copy made of bronze then chromed by a guy in CA.Here are pics of an original '34 Ford one as found mounted on a wood display base I had a couple yrs ago. 34 Greyhound 1.jpg 34 Greyhound 2a.jpg 34 Greyhound 3.jpg 34 Greyhound 4.jpg 34 Greyhound 5.jpg 34 Greyhound 6.jpg

28. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After reading Fordors great Stant article, it makes me wonder what the origin of my old bronze dog is? I found him back in the 60’s, so I know he’s not a reproduction. Notice he only has five ribs and a different base configuration.Could he possibly have been made by the Doehler company referred to in the article? Will probably never know... about like finding history on my 3W prior to 1967...

Stogy likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@bowie the Stant company seemed to supply Ford with a number of OEM products but since Ford only ran them on the 34 Stant went on and offered them as Aftermarket for years I suppose...the advertisement is dated 1936 in @Fordors post...and the text is clear below...

20210225_141654.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ford-greyhound-hood-ornament.1222017/#post-13962439

On top of Stant producing Reproductions no doubt many other companies jumped on the Reproduction/Knockoff market and your particular Doggy could have been made by any number of those...If there are numbers or company marks those could better identify the origin...

One of the other interesting details gleaned here is Ford actually Contracted Stant to do a prototype for 35 that didn't see OEM production...

I note some of these presented ornaments are either hugely weaterbeaten to the point of loss of plating and detail or they were of a way poorer standard than the Stant offerings...

I can even imagine fellas sanding and buffing these over the years with a beer on the bench and a smoke in their mouth making a real Hotrod mascot...;)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Cyclone Kevin, bowie and Hamtown Al like this.
  30. CDOGV8

CDOGV8

i had a repro one on my 36 when i put it back on the road in the 70s only to have it broken off so i put my original one on and thats been there for over 35years knock on wood pete

Stogy likes this.