Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical engine swap 47 ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by [email protected], Feb 18, 2021.

1. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Y-block slips right in.

upload_2021-2-19_19-18-6.jpeg

550Coupe, alanp561 and warhorseracing like this.
  2. Well the Oil Filter is only a problem if you don't know about this Ford part. It's also in the Speedway catalog.
    [​IMG]
    Wanting input for what motor to use in any project on here is less productive than asking Hay, what's this Smell like.

Blues4U, 56don, X38 and 1 other person like this.
  3. When I was in high school, in 1958 in San Francisco, one of our classmates had a 1937 Ford 5 passenger coupe. He drove this car to school every day. He went home one Friday after school with a stock driveline. He came back to school on Monday with a SBC installed. This is the easiest, and usually the least expensive way to go. More power, better mileage, more dependability, and if needed, good parts availability at your local auto parts store. It is your car, so who cares what someone else thinks.

deucemac, Blues4U, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

5. Budget36

Budget36

Use what you have or can afford. The damned car isn’t going to say a thing about it. I’m flip flopping on rebuilding a 302 I have for my ‘36 PU or using a rebuild 318 I already have. To me it depends if I have the ‘32 Dodge PU ready to run or the ‘36 Ford pu first.
    Your ass will be happiest driving it. Your ass won’t care what’s making it move.

gary macdonald likes this.
  6. 73RR

73RR

Although many of the 50's V8 engines would be a great choice (Hemi, Olds, Cad, Buick), they are all expensive to rebuild...including a flathead.
    So, are you willing to spend the needed time and money on a rebuild? If not then start looking around for a runner of whatever brand that you can tolerate. Don't be too surprised if such a thing as 'good' is hard to find and you are back to a rebuild project.
    Regardless of the engine, doing a rebuild will give you plenty of time to make all of the other needed changes and there will be changes.

Pist-n-Broke and dirty old man like this.
  7. stevens2@htva.net

[email protected]
    from 14883

Thanks for all your opinions and experiences, I think the chevy will be the one.

8. I tend to be more of a Ford in a Ford guy but realistically the Chevy would be the cheapest and easiest to install. Also dead reliable. I like a SBF but there were so many changes to it that sometimes getting the proper replacement parts in a pinch can be an ordeal.

deucemac and Algoma56 like this.
  9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you want an engine that is difficult to work on and get parts for go with a Y-Block.

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I can't understand it. Chevy engines are way prettier than Fords.

Blues4U likes this.
  11. 73RR

73RR

Really?
    [​IMG]

Blues4U and 550Coupe like this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't consider a SBF to be a truly traditional engine. The Windsor was introduced in 1962, so unless someone is building a car where the SBF was an option, which is basically a 62-64 FMC product for the purposes of the HAMB, or building an older car in the style of 62-64, I consider the SBF a post-dated engine that isn't appropriate or traditional. I'm not saying it's not a good engine, it definitely is, it's just not an appropriate choice IMHO. I also don't consider it to be the most beautiful engine in existence, but that's a matter of taste.

I look at the SBF in much the same light as a BBC and later Cadillac (472,500), second gen Olds V8s, etc., whereas B/RB Mopar, SBC, Ford Y and FE, even Pontiac... are of an earlier linage more age appropriate for his board.

Blues4U, X38 and F-ONE like this.
  13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Might want to lay off the 'ludes lol...
    55 Chebbie.jpg

RustyDogg, Blues4U, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

15. Pretty or Prettier when it comes to Motors? Hmmm, Sounds like a Girl thing to me. Rates right up there with the Counterfeit T-Bird valve covers. But anyone that would install a Cammer Ford in a Tri-5 Chebby can't be all wrong!

ffr1222k and studebaker46 like this.
  16. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, when you get rid of that gaudy orange paint;)

Tickety Boo likes this.
  17. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yeah, that one just- really? My own preference is of course the FE, but there are many engines that are more original and/or distinctive than a belly button engine. My second choice for looks would be a Nailhead Buick, then a Y-block Ford, then the various Hammys. Always makes me laugh that folks who will spend megabucks on paint, chrome and interior to build a nice car, then justify the belly button because it is cheap- to the extent of some diehards who say keep the hood closed lol :rolleyes:

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  18. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Check out @IronTrap and his Youtube page. He is working on a '47 with a SBF right now. It has a lot of issues but he's fixing it up good.

19. You can put just about anything you want in that car. I have a 41' Ford Convertible (same body) . I've had five different engines in it, 48' Ford,49 Merc, a Y Block, 351 Cleveland (used a pickup oil pan ) and a 55' Olds. They all fit fine.

20. TCATTC

TCATTC

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    Aw Hey-ell....
    If that old man would have been around another 10 years and found a way to make a buck; especially at GM's expense, he would have sold the conversion kits at the dealership.
    You Ford guys that know anything about the man, know this be true.

Budget36 and TCATTC like this.
  22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MMMMmmmm.
    I know which one I would choose.;)

warhorseracing likes this.
  23. topher5150

topher5150

I must have done something wrong my 351's oil filter fits just right.
    [​IMG]

warhorseracing and alanp561 like this.
  24. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Fast Orange :D

When taking out a 400 sbc in my 48 to put in a fresh 350 sbc notched out the cross member to clear a mechanical fuel pump. Didn't like the sound of the electric pump running. :rolleyes:
    cross member cut.jpg cut cross member .jpg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    alanp561 likes this.
  25. And fits like it belongs there.o_O
    Fits like a glove.JPG
    Now lets hear some more BS.:confused:

Budget36 likes this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

Cadillac 331/365/390 and you don't have to notch the crossmember. Fuel pump mounts up top.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Blues4U and F-ONE like this.
  27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Yes, yes and yes.

Roothawg likes this.
  28. 48ford

48ford

We have a sbc in ours, painted it ford blue, most people don’t know the difference

Tickety Boo likes this.
  29. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yep it sure doesfit with the "peanut" size filter that appears to be what I see and mentioned earlier.

30. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

What did you do for the exhaust, headers or exhaust manifolds